PDA

View Full Version : New Honda 21"..does it mulch better than previous Hondas??

GarPA
05-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Have to breakdown and replace my old Honda 21". I was leaning towards the Toro Proline because allot of you say it mulches better than any other 21". My previous Hondas were lousy at mulching ..both of them.. but the new marketing hype from Honda talks about them improving the mulching capability. I think the new modek number is like hxa217?? The HOnda also allows the cutting height to be raised to 4 inches..the Toro can only go to 3.5 inches.

ANy of you out there have first hand experience with the newer Honda commercial mowers ..if so, hows it doing with mulching the wet spring growth?? thanks much.

firefighter
05-11-2005, 06:29 AM
I purchased a Honda HRX217HXA for mowing this year. Consumer reports rate this mower as #1 in mulching. So far it mulch's great. I have had no problems with the mower. You can also adjust how much you want to bag.

Firefighter

dishboy
05-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Have to breakdown and replace my old Honda 21". I was leaning towards the Toro Proline because allot of you say it mulches better than any other 21". My previous Hondas were lousy at mulching ..both of them.. but the new marketing hype from Honda talks about them improving the mulching capability. I think the new modek number is like hxa217?? The HOnda also allows the cutting height to be raised to 4 inches..the Toro can only go to 3.5 inches.

ANy of you out there have first hand experience with the newer Honda commercial mowers ..if so, hows it doing with mulching the wet spring growth?? thanks much.

The new Honda is still HRC216HXA. Reports so far that I have seen say it mulches much better than the old model. The old model can be modified. Mine will out mulch my Suzuki Proline 21. My new Toro sits on the trailer as a back up. If the grass is wet, long or has leaves my modified Honda HRC216 is the machine of choice. This is on cool season grass. Here is a link to the new Honda.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=HRC216HXA

MMLawn
05-11-2005, 08:41 PM
I have the new one and I still think my Toro's mulch better.

Fareway Lawncare
05-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Toro Proline w/6hp Kaw & Silly Plastic Recycler Kickers Removed Mulches better than Any Honda...The Key to Mulching in Lush Turf is Maintaining RPM when You Hit Thick Stuff...The Kaw. will Do that Better than the Honda..

turf9
05-11-2005, 09:52 PM
I purchased a Honda HRX217HXA for mowing this year. Consumer reports rate this mower as #1 in mulching. So far it mulch's great. I have had no problems with the mower. You can also adjust how much you want to bag.

Firefighter

I bought this one too works great I have to bag most days but i just keep the clipping deflector 2 notches away from mulch and no bringing the garbage can to the back yards :p .

AuburnGuy
05-11-2005, 09:53 PM
I have not had much heavy mulching yet this year, but i have a new honda and a toro proline. Well, i will be selling the toro to buy another new honda.

dishboy
05-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Toro Proline w/6hp Kaw & Silly Plastic Recycler Kickers Removed Mulches better than Any Honda...The Key to Mulching in Lush Turf is Maintaining RPM when You Hit Thick Stuff...The Kaw. will Do that Better than the Honda..

Nice theory, my Honda out mulches the proline because of two blades and a deep deck along with my other mods. Horsepower is helpful, but can't replace a shallow deck. My Honda mulches just as good as my 36 TTHP in lush turf with it's little underpowered engine...........................

Fareway Lawncare
05-11-2005, 10:16 PM
There Must be Something Wrong w/Your TracerHP....Try Double eXcalibur Mulchers w/Micro Mulch Kit...No 21" Will Touch it.

Clumping and Windrows Starts when RPM's Drop on the 21"'s...The Honda Engine Doesn't Have the Guts in Thick Thick Stuff...Especially w/Twin Blades.

specialtylc
05-11-2005, 11:37 PM
The new Honda HRC not only mulches well now, it cuts and bags the tall thick stuff better. They really did improve them alot.

EvandSeby
05-12-2005, 10:29 AM
I have been using the HRC for about two weeks now, and it mulches and bags very well. Lush spring growth in my area was months ago before I had the Honda. It does mulch active growing bermuda with seed heads very well. The only minor thing I don't like is the old HRC you could grip the BBC and drive bar on the handlebar portion that was vertical, now I have to extend out my thumb(s) to hold it down.

mkirby
05-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Yes it suxs in my opinion!

specialtylc
05-12-2005, 09:54 PM
I have been using the HRC for about two weeks now, and it mulches and bags very well. Lush spring growth in my area was months ago before I had the Honda. It does mulch active growing bermuda with seed heads very well. The only minor thing I don't like is the old HRC you could grip the BBC and drive bar on the handlebar portion that was vertical, now I have to extend out my thumb(s) to hold it down.
As far as I can tell the handle design has not changed.