PDA

View Full Version : Fair Lease Price

coyotekid
05-11-2005, 07:58 PM
First off, I'm new here, so I've been busy reading all I can!

I'm just starting my own lawn care business--I'm not new to lawn care, as I've done a lot of it when I worked for a landscaping company.

Now that I'm going solo, I will be leasing my dad's Grasshopper 928D mower with a 61" deck.

I plan to bid my accounts, but I think the lease needs to be worked out on an hourly basis based on the Hobbs meter on the mower.

Does anybody have suggestions for price per hour?

A+ Lawncare
05-11-2005, 08:04 PM
how many accounts ya got now, give us guys a lil more feedback on u & ur company....

coyotekid
05-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Well right now I only have two accounts lined up, but both of them are large areas. I have many more in the works, though.

What does this have to do with a fair lease price?

MMLawn
05-11-2005, 08:27 PM
What does this have to do with a fair lease price?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Cause A+ is just a johnny come lately High School kid that wants everybody on here to think he is a big shot LCO, only problem is he hasn't really cut any grass yet except for his mom and dads. I mean he couldn't have because he is in School most of the day and then is averaging 12 post a day here so that leaves no time to cut anyone's grass ;) He doesn't even have any equipment yet (well except for his dad's Z that he calls "his" once in a while) cause he is on here every day asking about it. Last time he had gone from a 48" wanna buy to a 21" Homeowner goina buy. He'll also throw some "forumla's" on you that he "uses in his business".

As to your lease question I would work out with your dad a fair "split" from your profits.

packerbacker
05-11-2005, 08:32 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Cause A+ is just a johnny come lately High School kid that wants everybody on here to think he is a big shot LCO, only problem is he hasn't really cut any grass yet except for his mom and dads. I mean he couldn't have because he is in School most of the day and then is averaging 12 post a day here so that leaves no time to cut anyone's grass ;) He doesn't even have any equipment yet (well except for his dad's Z that he calls "his" once in a while) cause he is on here every day asking about it. Last time he had gone from a 48" wanna buy to a 21" Homeowner goina buy. He'll also throw some "forumla's" on you that he "uses in his business".

As to your lease question I would work out with your dad a fair "split" from your profits.

Speaking of losers....

ed2hess
05-11-2005, 08:32 PM
I guess I better inform my sons that I will be sending them a bill for all the old junk equipment that I bought and is still being used!! What do you think a rental place would charge if you tried to lease that thing(probably $80 half day).

coyotekid
05-12-2005, 02:17 AM
Whoa!

So are you guys calling me a loser for leasing equipment from my father?

He has a commercial-quality unit which has low hours, and it will work well for both of us: he can regain some of the money invested in the unit, and I can earn a decent wage operating it.

By the way, what do you guys think of this mower? I think it's awesome, but I will not claim to be very experienced in the professional lawn care industry.

packerbacker
05-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Whoa!

So are you guys calling me a loser for leasing equipment from my father?

He has a commercial-quality unit which has low hours, and it will work well for both of us: he can regain some of the money invested in the unit, and I can earn a decent wage operating it.

By the way, what do you guys think of this mower? I think it's awesome, but I will not claim to be very experienced in the professional lawn care industry.

Not you....

coyotekid
05-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Any more suggestions?

Rinker97
05-12-2005, 02:55 PM
How about coming up with a length of time you want to lease it, a fair total price, and divide it out by the number of months? And only consider working months, not off season, so you will only pay when using it.

Rinker

chuckers
05-12-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm sure your old man will be understanding maybe offer to cut your place for the use of the mower. I am not sure how old you are or anything but I'm sure your old man will want you to succeed.

Rinker97
05-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Another idea is to do it like you would a car. Here is a link to a website that tells you how to calculate a car lease payment. You could try it with some figures and see what you get.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/leasing/articles/48365/article.html

It sounds like your Dad is just trying to recoop some of his investment so ask him what he thinks is fair. Maybe he only wants $20/week or $30/week. I would want to help my son get started but also get him used to expenses.

IMO

Rinker

gwwilson
05-12-2005, 05:35 PM
coyotekid;
they rent for $94/day~~~61" zero turn 25hp

so if you tell Pappy, you'll pay $75/day he'll probably take it....