PDA

View Full Version : shady engineering by exmark

grass disaster
05-11-2005, 07:44 PM
had a spring break

what a pain in the rear. you think since i have new equipment that i shouldn't have these problems,
-anyway it was the tension spring on the belt for the hydraulics. yup there i was like a cow stuck in the mud.

luckily i had a small screw driver to loosen the valves on the hydraulics. i was able to pull it to the trailer with the kubota.

i took it to the dealer and in about 1/2 hour we had a new one on.

i think the reason it broke was because the thing rattles excessively when at full throttle. i expressed my concern to the mechanic about the poor design of the spring mechanism.

he said he would bring it up to the exmark rep. all of a sudden we had an idea to put like a rubber(like) hose around the spring to absorb some of the shock.

he came back from the shop with a foam tube. we cut it down the center and slipped it over the spring. WOW!!! what a difference that made. no more (very)annoying rattler. it also vibrates a lot less

p.s. i only have about 2 hours on the machine

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Shady engineering?
No, just a fluke.
Never had such a problem and I'm sure there are plenty here to say the same...................

grass disaster
05-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Shady engineering?
No, just a fluke.
Never had such a problem and I'm sure there are plenty here to say the same...................

if it's a fluke why did the new spring act the same way as the old one, you can't tell me it's supposed to make the god awful noise.

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 07:53 PM
We have none that make noise.........something else is wrong and your dealer should have looked at it.

lazer 46
05-11-2005, 08:13 PM
The very first Exmark Hydro I bought did something similar. Vibration caused the spring to wear out and break. It was one of the pulley's that was out of round. It was replaced and the mower was fine after that.

Mower For Less
05-11-2005, 09:50 PM
My cousin bought a TTHP last year, and it had the same exact problem. I bought a new TTHP this year, and it has the rattle, but has not broke a spring yet. After breaking 3 springs, the dealer replaced his pulley, and it seems to be better now. I am hoping mine breaks soon so I can get the pulley replaced also. I took my cousins mower in with him all 3 times, and after the 2nd time in the dealer admitted it was a pretty common problem. They also had the same rubber hose trick as mentioned above that they used on the 2nd spring replacement. Made the spring last 2 weeks instead of just 1.

I love my Exmarks, but I cant defend them on this one.

Kevin

kc2006
05-11-2005, 10:23 PM
grass master, dont you know better to talk bad about exmark? Whats next talk down redmax or shindy? :D (its a joke)

Sounds like one of those little problems that slip threw the R&D, maybe the rep will actually do something about it and they'll start making a cover for it like you did?

dishboy
05-11-2005, 10:26 PM
We have none that make noise.........something else is wrong and your dealer should have looked at it.

Exmark in fact is having a problem with this issue. Also check your idler pivot arm for elongation where the spring attaches.

wacamaster
05-11-2005, 10:35 PM
I think if your going to have a problem with the mower it's going to be real quick. When a mower comes straight outa the factory, all it takes is 1 small mis assembly step to make something go wrong. My thing was my exmark stalled out and couldn't get it started. Towed it up the trailer with my walk behind and took it in. The gas lines were kinked. Haven't had a problem since and I've put 1k hours on it in 2 years.

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Exmark in fact is having a problem with this issue. Also check your idler pivot arm for elongation where the spring attaches.

I'd have to see a service bulletin to believe it is a widespread issue, and again, we have no problems.
Elongation should be expected over time, it is inevitable, particularly with the HP's with the heavy duty spring, pulley and belt setup on the pump belt.......(not original but an Exmark upgrade for belt slippage issues under certain conditions)
Vibration and spring breakage is an indication of an alignment or out of balance condition somewhere, any moving part running at 2500 rpm or such will self destruct if proper balance isn't achieved.

This is a manufacturing problem maybe, but not an engineering problem or it would certainly be widespread and well known. :cool:

dishboy
05-11-2005, 11:15 PM
I'd have to see a service bulletin to believe it is a widespread issue, and again, we have no problems.
Elongation should be expected over time, it is inevitable, particularly with the HP's with the heavy duty spring, pulley and belt setup on the pump belt.......(not original but an Exmark upgrade for belt slippage issues under certain conditions)
Vibration and spring breakage is an indication of an alignment or out of balance condition somewhere, any moving part running at 2500 rpm or such will self destruct if proper balance isn't achieved.

This is a manufacturing problem maybe, but not an engineering problem or it would certainly be widespread and well known. :cool:

My dealer has many machines come in with the same issue. They are supposedly sending a updated spring.

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 11:21 PM
My dealer has many machines come in with the same issue. They are supposedly sending a updated spring.

Have they changed the spring design since last year?

Turf Dancer
05-12-2005, 03:42 AM
Exmark is having issues! I took my Ultravac to a dealer and they could not figure out why the belts kept breaking, I went through 2 in less than 30 hours. I then took it to the dealer I bought it from and they took it apart and said that Exmark had put a couple extra washers on there which made the belt on the blower twist more than it was supposed to causing them to break. Now it is fine. They have assembly issues at Exmark. My Hydro filter plugged up in the first 3 hours I had it. there were a bunch of little pieces of rubber hose in the hydro lines.