PDA

View Full Version : It just keeps getting worse!

kenny6425
05-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Good evening Gents, I need to vent a little. First of all very wet start up here in Maine this season. Did great with Spring clean-ups 11 total. I am currently working on the last one now, very large and lucrative job. Mowing on the other hand is terrible. Expected to have at least 10 weekly accounts by now but only have 4. I spent $1200.00 (6 month contract)advertising in the local newspapers and as I stated got a lot of Spring clean-up jobs, but no new mowing accounts. I bid on my local town cemeteries, but was way underbid by like $6000.00 by a kid with a 21" craftsman push mower and no clue on bidding. I bid 70.00 per acre. I have now bid on our Elementary School and won't hold my breath on that one either. I am hoping word of mouth and my fliers will bring me some mowing accounts, but with all the new competition who have no insurance and will mow for a song I am kind of skeptical. The good thing is I own all of my equipment outright and I have another full time job, which has financed my company. I do have a dream of someday making this my full time job, but the way its looking that day is very far in my future. Thanks for listening.

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Good evening Gents, I need to vent a little. First of all very wet start up here in Maine this season. Did great with Spring clean-ups 11 total. I am currently working on the last one now, very large and lucrative job. Mowing on the other hand is terrible. Expected to have at least 10 weekly accounts by now but only have 4. I spent $1200.00 (6 month contract)advertising in the local newspapers and as I stated got a lot of Spring clean-up jobs, but no new mowing accounts. I bid on my local town cemeteries, but was way underbid by like $6000.00 by a kid with a 21" craftsman push mower and no clue on bidding. I bid 70.00 per acre. I have now bid on our Elementary School and won't hold my breath on that one either. I am hoping word of mouth and my fliers will bring me some mowing accounts, but with all the new competition who have no insurance and will mow for a song I am kind of skeptical. The good thing is I own all of my equipment outright and I have another full time job, which has financed my company. I do have a dream of someday making this my full time job, but the way its looking that day is very far in my future. Thanks for listening.

You are part of all that new competition.................
Things don't happen over night.

kenny6425
05-11-2005, 08:42 PM
You're right I am part of the new competition this being only my second year and all, but I have gone about it ligitimately(insurance, taxes and faithfully reading as many threads in here as I possibly can). I realize and don't expect things to happen overnight, but honestly how can they happen at all with people mowing 1/2 acre multiple obstacle lots for 20 bucks? I know I need to keep the faith and hang in there, but how to hell can we compete? Mow for free? Thank you for your input, I am just :realmad:

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 08:56 PM
You're right I am part of the new competition this being only my second year and all, but I have gone about it ligitimately(insurance, taxes and faithfully reading as many threads in here as I possibly can). I realize and don't expect things to happen overnight, but honestly how can they happen at all with people mowing 1/2 acre multiple obstacle lots for 20 bucks? I know I need to keep the faith and hang in there, but how to hell can we compete? Mow for free? Thank you for your input, I am just :realmad:

Nope, no mowing for free, it's hard to pay for a meal that way...................

It takes time and effort to collect a good client base with which to work from, after that word of mouth and reputation take over............Advertising helps to increase revenues, but not neccesarily profit margins or profits.
Cheap mowing will always exist, good quality mowing will usually always exist.........It's up to the individual what route they will take and how much effort they are willing to expend to reach their goal.
If running a business and getting clients were simple and easy no one would work for "the Man", they'd all be running a business...............Guess that's why so many folks only go after a paycheck and nothing more.........it's easier.