PDA

View Full Version : First time hiring a crew

Mortymower
05-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Hey, here is my plan, please criticize. I have about 15 yards right now, i can drive this summer and i plan to get a little more than i can handle byt this time next year. Then go out to a local golf course and ask all turf employees if they want to make a little extra money. interview and pick one that i like to work with me all summer, PART TIME so no benefits yet. at the end of the summer turn him loose after i trust him and let him work on his own part time still. He will have to have his own truck, and he will pull my trailer, which i will carry ins on. I will then go imediately into advertising and getting more work for him and when i get enough i will hire another part time guy. After my buisness gets big enough to were i can have two-three full time employees i will ask them to come full time and offer benefits, and half of their health insurance. And pray to god that it works :angel: Tell me what ya;ll think of this idea please.

thomas860
05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Your only 14 and you want hire guys to work for you. When they find out your 14 they are just going to luagh at you. Stick with what you got for now and worry more about school then doing lawns.

Appalachian landscape
05-11-2005, 09:48 PM
WOW!!! Only 14 and in business for 5 years??? You're doing great kiddo!! Keep up the good work!!! :rolleyes:

Mortymower
05-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Well i joined a while back so im fifteen now, but here is my argument to Thomas860, there are plenty of kids out there now whos daddy buys them the best truck/trailer and exmark that money can buy. Now sure they will probably make a wad of cash if they have ANY work ethic. Now my dad was afraid of me using a push mower at a early age so i bought an elctric weed eater when i was nine and used it to cut two yards on my street and used our push mower oncce i could push it. From there i bought a peice of crap murry rear engin rider used with my eranings, then to a john deere hydro 185 1992 model and finally my current rig is an exmark lazer zhp, redmax trimmer and blower and honda push mower. I paid for every peice of it. like i said befor there are plenty of kids out there now doin it with daddy's equipment and sayin they are making money, but how many teenagers do you know of that have people working for them. I can only grow so much befor school interferes, but with a crew i can contiinue to grow. This is a very optomistic plan but i am determined to make it owrk and i would appreciate it if you would either say something that may make this plan better otherwise shut the hell up. :help: I dont mean to offend anyone, but i have been workin on this little plan for a little while and i dont like being shot down when i am just asking for sugesstions

Mark McC
05-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Morty, I admire your ambition, but one of the comments by Thomas860 is pretty much on the money. Getting older guys to work for you and provide the truck is kind of a stretch. Not saying it can't be done, but for better or worse, they will not respect you and you cannot have that.

I also would not turn an employee loose and trust him under these same circumstances. My recommendation is that you figure out another business plan until you can snag a driver's license. I also wonder whether an insurance company will sell you liability insurance at your age.

I admire your gumption. Fair or not, your age works against you. Being ahead of your age in terms of maturity is a lousy place to be at times, but it'll pass. In the meantime, maybe you could focus on developing skills that'll allow you to sell more to your existing client base.

Mortymower
05-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks mark, see thomas at least he offers sugesstions how i can fix the problems i will run into, but i forgot to say, i will start this plan next year so i will have a liscence for almost a year and the employee will ride with me for the summer, (with me driving in my truck) i dont know if that changes anything but i jusy wanted to put that out there

Todd's lawncare
05-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Hey, here is my plan, please criticize. I have about 15 yards right now, i can drive this summer and i plan to get a little more than i can handle byt this time next year. Then go out to a local golf course and ask all turf employees if they want to make a little extra money. interview and pick one that i like to work with me all summer, PART TIME so no benefits yet. at the end of the summer turn him loose after i trust him and let him work on his own part time still. He will have to have his own truck, and he will pull my trailer, which i will carry ins on. I will then go imediately into advertising and getting more work for him and when i get enough i will hire another part time guy. After my buisness gets big enough to were i can have two-three full time employees i will ask them to come full time and offer benefits, and half of their health insurance. And pray to god that it works :angel: Tell me what ya;ll think of this idea please.
Hey you said please criticize so dont jump on him you asked for it

MMLawn
05-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Problem with your plan is though that you can't legally employee anyone until you are at least 18 years of age.

slapshotmike24
05-11-2005, 10:44 PM
I can see how you want to run guys from a golf course, but, i reccomend using people closer to your age. I have a few helpers who I got from school. I think its easier to boss around someone closer to your age, while someone who is older will think they are the boss and know more than you. I would rather train somebody on how to do it right, rather than get someone who thinks they know it all and does a crappy job. I would also be very weary of your guys using their own truck. Thats just my opinion. :waving:

Mortymower
05-11-2005, 10:46 PM
sorry i dont mean to jump on anyone, which im sure i did, but i was just saying criticize but tell what i am doin wrong, not just you cant do it so dont try.

wacamaster
05-11-2005, 10:46 PM
You've got a lot to learn Morty. Your plan is seriously flawed and having it work is impossible. I see you complaining about guys with no work ethic. Sounds to me like your the one not wanting to do any work. An ambitous person would get 30 accounts minimum before they would even think about hiring a guy to help out a day or 2 a week. If you don't do 80%+ of the work until you get seriously established.. you will never get established.

Mortymower
05-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I understand wacamaster, but i can't get 30 accounts with school going on, and i figure that doing all of the advertising and managing the buisness will take up more time than what im doing now,

wacamaster
05-11-2005, 11:20 PM
I got 30 accounts with school going on. When your buddies go out to play you go home and cut grass.

Itsgottobegreen
05-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Well i joined a while back so im fifteen now, but here is my argument to Thomas860, there are plenty of kids out there now whos daddy buys them the best truck/trailer and exmark that money can buy. Now sure they will probably make a wad of cash if they have ANY work ethic. Now my dad was afraid of me using a push mower at a early age so i bought an elctric weed eater when i was nine and used it to cut two yards on my street and used our push mower oncce i could push it. From there i bought a peice of crap murry rear engin rider used with my eranings, then to a john deere hydro 185 1992 model and finally my current rig is an exmark lazer zhp, redmax trimmer and blower and honda push mower. I paid for every peice of it. like i said befor there are plenty of kids out there now doin it with daddy's equipment and sayin they are making money, but how many teenagers do you know of that have people working for them. I can only grow so much befor school interferes, but with a crew i can contiinue to grow. This is a very optomistic plan but i am determined to make it owrk and i would appreciate it if you would either say something that may make this plan better otherwise shut the hell up. :help: I dont mean to offend anyone, but i have been workin on this little plan for a little while and i dont like being shot down when i am just asking for sugesstions

Damn you sound just like me a few years ago. Only I was still running walkbehinds at your age, not ZTRs.

Trust me work by yourself. School and lawns are tough. Pay attention in school. Trust me, all I did all day in school was watch the clock. Waiting to go home to get my stuff and go to work. I missed out on a lot of things because of it.

I don't let my part time guys out of my sight. I only have one employee that I trust to do minor jobs by himself. (he will soon be my brother inlaw, so I trust him slightly) He soon will be a crew chief. Which is kinda funny since I only got one other crew member 2 days a week.

Todd's lawncare
05-11-2005, 11:30 PM
sorry i dont mean to jump on anyone, which im sure i did, but i was just saying criticize but tell what i am doin wrong, not just you cant do it so dont try.
i don't think he said you cant . He said they will laugh at you which i know if you came to me and your only 14 i would laugh you out the door . He said stay how you are small till you can do it by the books . Because if you do it half ass*d you will pay big for it when they find out .

Mortymower
05-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks i will continue to work on my own while thinking of how to expand in the future

kipcom
05-12-2005, 05:49 AM
Your only 14 and you want hire guys to work for you. When they find out your 14 they are just going to luagh at you. Stick with what you got for now and worry more about school then doing lawns.

My daughter is 12 and runs her own lawncare/mowing business...and has a large list of properties she manages. Nobody should laugh at a young business owner, we all should encourage our youth and support them in there efforts.

America can be a great place...if we all use some commonsense :cool2:

SWD
05-12-2005, 07:24 AM
There is one problem that has been mentioned yet you haven't addressed- your age.
Typically, one cannot employ, enter into contract negotiation/signing prior to being considered an adult in the eyes of the law.
I am aware of certain exceptions of a minor being declared a majority before a certain mandated age, yet those circumstances aren't present here.
The reason I mention all of this is due to your lack of business insurance, civil and criminal remedy protection as well as your overall standing as a business owner hiring employees as you are violating a bunch of labor and safety laws.
Therefore you legally cannot hire, discipline or discharge employees, or enter into contracts, before your majority.
I understand your desire to grow your business, yet these legal hurdles need to be cleared first.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Wait until you finish school to start your business growing with employees and such. Get 20-30 accounts and keep them through school. I wanted to start my business in 1997 when I got done with school, but I could not get the necessary funding from mom and dad. They wanted me in college so I did that, could not find a decent job with my degree that interested me and I went back to what I always wanted to do, run a lawn business.

As for troubles, like others mentioned, you because of your age I dont think can legally do anything. Truck cant be in your name, equipment cant be in your name, insurance cant be in your name, cant legally hire anyone and so on. You may be paying for these things with your money but legally they are not yours. And even if you could, the insurance on everything would be so outrageous for a 15 year old you would have to cut so many lawns above and beyond what you ever imagined just to turn a profit, especially if you have employees. I would say wait and until you are 18 and everything is legal, enjoy school, get a few more accounts, build some net worth and grow your business slowly. You have 2-3 years to learn this business by taking it easy. You have no one that depends on you, arent paying rent, yada yada yada. You got it made right now. Take this opportunity and learn from it so when you are 18 and things matter greatly, you know what you are in for and can make your business venture a tremendous success.