PDA

View Full Version : question about a possible off balance deck???

scott in the soo
05-11-2005, 09:54 PM
i have a husky zth 48/20..(this is not a husky bashing thread). the deck is held in place (i think) by 4 chains, 2 on each side. i noticed today that on one side of deck the chains have some give in them and the bolts that the chain sits in are not even on both sides..looks like it is off by a quarter inch.

My question.... do all 4 of the chains that hold the deck have to be even.

ed2hess
05-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Park the unit over a flat concrete surface and let the deck down and measure from the edge of the deck to ground at four place. I would think it should be equal.

DEEJ
05-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Scott,

The positioning of the bolts does not tell the story, don't go by that. As Hess said the way to measure is with the machine sitting on a flat surface. However the measurements ARE NOT typically the same. The front of the deck should be slightly lower than the back of the deck (0-1/4" depending on the amount of "rake" or slope the manufacturer recommends for that deck).

The bolts are large and very, very hard to adjust to get perfectly equal tension on all 4 chains. I have learned to get them as close as possible to equal tension and leave it at that.

It is not simply a matter of loosening the bolts and moving them. With Exmark, for example, you set the machine up on a flat surface, put spacers under the deck to hold it the correct distance from the floor and the correct "rake", make sure the lift arms are in a particular position, then slide the bolts in the slots to tighten the chains, then tighten the chain bolts. The bolts move a bit as you are tightening them, so it is very hard to get it perfect.

With Exmark the procedure is included in the Owner's Manual. Maybe your brand does the same?

deej

Charles
05-12-2005, 02:14 PM
I put mine on a flat surface (make sure all the tires are that same air pressure) and measured from the tip of the blade to the surface on both sides of the deck. And then adjusted the chain bolts. NOt easy to do it this way but it worked for me. Ya from looking at the side the rear is higher than the front. Its really hard to find a flat surface thats for sure