PDA

View Full Version : spreading lime

TLBumpus
02-19-2001, 10:09 PM
How do you charge for spreading lime and what do you use .Any other info or tips welcome . Thanks

gene gls
02-19-2001, 11:15 PM
I use powered lime. I have a 36" pull and a 24" push drop spreader. I add .50 per bag mark up plus my hourly rate.I only push the areas that I can't go with my riding tractor and the pull spreader.

Gene

Hunter Landscape
02-19-2001, 11:31 PM
well whatever i spread it with. i always try to spread lime along with my fert. usually i fert. with a slow release 16-4-8, and a granular lime mix. that way you are killing two birds with one stone.

PS--i also like to spread a fire ant killer with the above.

PROFIT MAXIMIZE!

GOOD LUCK.

jrodgers
02-19-2001, 11:40 PM
I think you should lime and fertilize in two sperate apps. How could you know how much fertilizer you are sreading? Then charge for two seperate applications. I charge for a average size lawn around here(6 to 8 thousand sqft.) maybe $50 for fert. and $45 per lime app. I use Dolimitic Pellitized lime and a Lesco sreader.

GreenQuest Lawn
02-20-2001, 12:53 AM
I use pelleted limestone. I usually charge about the same as i do for an app. of fert.This is an article from my local extention office. I too wouldnt apply them together.

Can I mix my lime and fertilizer together in the spreader?

Definitely not! Lime should be applied separately from fertilizers containing ammonia since they react together and subsequently release ammonia gas which is toxic to grass. Apply lime two weeks on either side of nitrogen application.

Hunter Landscape
02-20-2001, 09:26 AM
well maybe my english was a little confusing. i don't put them both out in the same spreader but do put them both out at the same visit to the customer's property.

sorry for the confusion. :)

Ricky
02-22-2001, 04:07 PM
I had an interest in this question. So I posted to bring it up again :)

kutnkru
02-22-2001, 04:21 PM
In the spring I use a 36" drop spreader and apply pulverized limestone.
In the fall I use a broadcast spreader and apply granular limestone.
This service is usually $10/m sf.

Hope this helps.
Kris

Rodney Johns
02-22-2001, 05:34 PM
Pelletized lime is the fastest thing to quick release lime there is. There really is no such thing. Ph is one of the most difficult things to correct in soil. I spread both seperately so I can get an acurate measurment of each amount of product. Fert and Lime. If you are slick and have the market you can charge customers for ph testing also. I can't charge as much as I do for fertilizer but make more because lime is just so damn cheap.

fireball
02-22-2001, 07:39 PM
if you want to do both applications at once try this. go to Lesco and ask to see their 7-3-1 fert. It is primarly a limestone carrier with a little nitrogen. Have them explain the numbers to you and you'll see that most of it is limestone.

Dennis
02-22-2001, 09:55 PM
you should NEVER apply Lime And Nitrogen together,2 weeks apart is a minimum.
it also takes lime several months to take affect it doesn't work like most products.
do not let cust. think applying lime will green up or make their lawn Healthy the 1st year.

DMC300
02-23-2001, 12:55 AM
Dennis is right on the money.from what Iv'e learned being in the sod farming industry.

Likestomow
03-24-2001, 09:35 PM
I have always applied lime at the same time I applied fertilizer and have never had a problem. I have been told that it takes several days and even weeks before the lime is absorbed into the soil. If this is true, why would it hurt to put them down at the same time?

kutnkru
03-24-2001, 09:51 PM
I like to put about a 3 week barrier between our fert and the lime. Otherwise you are jolting the rootsystem withg too much nitrogen. The high nitrogen in the fert plus the additional boost the greening up process gets from the lime is often very stressful. Add on the competition of weeds and you have a strenuous situation for the plants.

Good Luck this season!
Kris

paul
03-25-2001, 12:01 AM
Here is one of the reasons you need soil tests

We are all looking for a pH of 6.3
At 6.3 our base saturation percent of exchangeable cations are:
68 % calcium
12% magnesium
5% potassium
0.5% sodium
4.5% all other elements
10% hydrogen
Clay and humus are negative charged elements and attract positively charged elements called "cations" they are calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and hydrogen.
Soils with a high CEC (Caltion Exchange Capacity)
have a nurmerous negative charges which attract numerous cations, which make the soil fertile.

To correct a high pH you need to add calcium to the soil not sulphur, calcium in the form of lime or high calcium gypsum, they have 2 positive charges, both occupy two negative slots in the soil.

smburgess
03-25-2001, 12:20 AM
A lot of mis-information here...
Lime takes literally MONTHS before it has ANY impact to the soil.
There is no reason, today using dolomitic lime, not to put fertilizer down followed immeadiately with an app of lime or visa-versa...( it will not cause or have ANY adverse effect on the turf)

lawnboy82
03-25-2001, 12:42 AM
this is only what i had heard, but if you are putting down lime it takes like 3 months for that stuff to go through the soil. and if you are doing that and then applying lets say a WSN mixture of fertilizer? then you are doing nothing because the lime and the WSN (water soluble nitrogen) cancel eachother out kind of. even if you use a WIN treatment i dont know if that would help you at all, but you are better off doing like a crab treatment, which lasts a few months and a lime treatment, hold off on your fert for at least a month or so.
and also in theory shouldnt it be like 1,000 lbs lime per 1m sq ft to correct 1 miliquevelant of being off or something?