PDA

View Full Version : Counting Wheelbarrows

urbanlandscape
05-11-2005, 11:39 PM
My mulch supplier loves me. I will go into the office and pay for ten yards of mulch, the loader will load my trailer to overflowing and then pack it down. I always thought that we should try counting wheelbarrows, but we never got around to it. Well, we finally did. Paid for ten yards of hardwood. Got to the job and started mulching. 10 yds, 27 cu ft per yd = 27-10 cu ft wheelbarrows full. Well, that 27 wheelbarrows full was perfect to finish the job. Guess what. I have a third of my trailer still full of mulch. I like that they are generous with the mulch, but I don't like spreading mulch for free. Does anyone else count wheelbarrows? Do you think this is fair? I see mulch advertised in my area for $40/yd installed. My mulch, at the cheapest of multiple wholesale suppliers (at least seven), is $21/yd. I couldn't fathom that price. I bet they count wheelbarrows!

snap12.5
05-12-2005, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=urbanlandscape] 27-10 cu ft wheelbarrows full.

when you say "full" do u mean up to and even with the rim of the wheelbarrow??? or do u mean filled over the rim.

how is capacity measured- up to the rim? i have a 6 cu ft wb but can probably hold 7 cu ft if i pile it on.

Thirdpete
05-13-2005, 12:25 AM
asked for three yards, got three scoops from a kubota loader. first house: 13 wheelbarrow loads, 6cu feet each. 78 feet. 1/3 of the mulch left.
went back, got another yard for another house. total came out to be 6.5 yards installed, billed for 6.5 yards installed. but they only charged me for four. gotta love it.

Itsgottobegreen
05-13-2005, 02:01 AM
I am going to have to try that. I got one job I have done for 4 years. once perfectly even, once 1 yard short, once with 1 yard extra, and once with 2 yards extra. All the mulch came from the same supplier.

Groundcover Solutions
05-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Most yards will give you more than you ask for they typicaly measure by the bucket. So if they have a 3 yard bucket and you want 6 yards they will give you two scopes. But the bucket is a 3 yard bucket if filled to the edge and level all the way accross. So they give you a nice heaping bucket full so you will usualy get extra yardage. It is realy nice when you have a large truck and they have 10 yard bucket you make out real good in thoughs situations!!!!!!

procut
05-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Same here. Luckily I personally know the loader opertor at the local mulch yard, thus he gives me nice big heaping scoops. Like just the other day bought 4 yards, but ended up with about 5.