PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite customer extra

skurtz78
05-11-2005, 11:21 PM
It has happened once a week to me this season. A customer will come out and ask if I will walk into the neighbors backyard and trim down their fence because it is looking bad. Twice I did this only because the situation was right one with woods behind it and the other a rental house that no one is usually around. What do you do when someone asks you to do this. I dont want to make people mad going into their yard.

lawnwizards
05-11-2005, 11:25 PM
i wouldn't do it. 1st, its trespassing and 2nd, theres no money in it... :waving:

dvmcmrhp52
05-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Without having the property owners permission or them knowing about it it may be a hassle waiting to happen.
Rental prop I wouldn't worry too much, but a residential neighborhood under normal circumstances may cause headaches with the PITA neighbor that just might live next door.

jt5019
05-11-2005, 11:35 PM
One of my customers today asked me if i could mow the neighbors yard just one time(it was about 1 foot long)i hesitated.. then they said i can bill them for it and they will pay the extra charge.I was still kinda hesitating... i was worried that the neighbors would come running out angry.She then told me it would be as a wedding gift (they just got back from their honeymoon and dont have a mower yet).So i told them just to leave a note why it was mowed and proceeded to cut it.It may actually work out good they dont have a mower and might be willing to hire me.

I wouldnt normally do it.... like in the prevous post its trespassing , but they seemed to be fairly close with the neighbors and assured me they wouldnt be upset.

Todd's lawncare
05-11-2005, 11:41 PM
A real a** hole if smoeone does somehting as a favor for someone and ***** about it my .

cantoo
05-12-2005, 08:00 PM
We do this but only if the arrangement is done in advance of the cutting time and we are given the owners name so we can call and tell them what is going on. What do you think would happen if you broke a window on this property? Or worse yet the house got broken into after you left.

kc2006
05-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Technically your not going into the neighbors yard to cut. Because by law a fence should be at least a foot in (this is what we were told when we installed a fence at our house). I thought about this the other day while trimming at my house, my neighbors are bitter old people and i didnt want to upset them but then i rememberd, Oh yea our fence is 1 foot in our property so technically I have to trim on the outside too.

sheshovel
05-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Do not do it,it's not your responsibility and you would be legaly trespassing,tell the cust you can only do it if they hire you to do it or your insurer
won't cover.

Jason Rose
05-12-2005, 08:14 PM
I hate chainlink fences.... I have several customers this is happening too. Yes I did trim the other side a time or 2, just for me, it looked awful. But I really hate trimming chainlink, even after trimming on both sides there's still grass that gets missed sometimes! Unless the neghibors are really some bad looking people I don't think I'd worry too much about the trespassing issue. Think about the utility companies and other contractors that come and go on peoples properties. There is usually easement on the front and back sides of most properties that is not technically "owned" by the property owner. If there is a utility line running above it or underground, then it's not really their property.

sheshovel
05-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Jason I think you are uninformed on this property easement subject.Yes utility co's do have right away privilages to acsess their lines for service on private property..BUT the property owner still OWNS that property underneath the lines,so yes it is private property and yes the owner owns it not the utility companys.And yes it still is tresspassing. SheShovel

Lux Lawn
05-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I would hate to be the guy in the neighbors backyard when they let the dog out.