PDA

View Full Version : 3 acres on walk-behind!!

grasshopperslc
05-12-2005, 05:26 AM
Hi guys whats the biggest lawn you would mow with a 52" walk-behind W/sulkie.Just wonder what you would have done?? I ended up mowing around 3 acres of grass that was 1' tall,with a 52" Scag walk-behind and sulkie!! That sucked!! It took me several hours to just mow the lawn,and after I was done I felt like jello.Also to make things worse the person was super cheap.Are original bid was $125 bucks and she didn't take it so we went lower till she would (BAD IDEA).The price ended up being $65 bucks!!! Keep in mind this is one of are first customers a long time ago.Well we did her lawn for a while until she waited at least 3 weeks and called us for it to be cut,and at the time are trailer was down so we could not get to her until a week later,and by then her grass was at least 2' high so we tried and the belts broke on the mower,and that was the last time we saw her. That whole thing was just plain Dumb!!!! :laugh:
----------------------------
The GrassHoppers
----------------------------
61" Ferris IS4500 CAT diesel
52" Ferris DD walk-behind
32" Ferris hydro-walk
21" Snapper Hi-Vac commercial
Two Redmax trimmers
One Redmax blower
One Stihl BG55 blower
16' Trailer
1987 Chevy K-5 Blazer

kipcom
05-12-2005, 05:29 AM
My advice to you.......If you are going to do more than a couple acres...get a rider the goes 10mph.

Time is money :cool2:

grasshopperslc
05-12-2005, 05:36 AM
That was a long time ago and now we have the right equipment,and yes time is money!!payup

We sold all are old mowers including that 52" Scag in the story

Thanks for the response!! :D

procut
05-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Before I had my two ZTRs, I mowed four acres with a 52" walk behind. I did have a sulky, but it was very rough, uneven ground, let me tell you it sucked.

LawnBrother
05-12-2005, 09:03 AM
with a 44" WB on foot. Lots of hills, bumps. 3 hours. Man that sucked! My feet were so sore, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.......

J.Gordon
05-12-2005, 09:28 AM
I mow about five acres on my place with a Hustler Super walk-behind with a BullRider; it has a few decent slopes on it and pretty rough. It takes me less time with my SWB than it did on a Super Z. and the SWB wasnít as hard on my body as the Z was. I know that I would not touch my place with a pistol grip walk-behind thatís for sure!

Cut
05-12-2005, 10:00 AM
"Are original bid was $125 bucks and she didn't take it so we went lower till she would (BAD IDEA).The price ended up being $65 bucks!!!"
UNQUOTE

Hmmmm.. hey pedro, can you come mow my grass, and I'll only need it cut every 3 weeks. And I can only give you $10 now, but I will get the rest for you later. Oh, and can you pick the trash up a little around my trash cans before you mow cause my killer dobermans got loose again.

I'll be back in town next week sometime and I will call you when I get the rest of your money. (snickers)

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-12-2005, 12:26 PM
never lower your price.....and always get money upfront (at least 50%) on work for non-regular customers.

if they don't like your price then walk...............what you did for $65 is robbery

$.02

Derek

south jerz
05-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Every week I cut 2 acres in 1 1/2 hours with a 36" belt-drive walk-behind with no sulky. I do cut at full speed at 5mph so I jog behind the mower (Yes I look like a jackass but its for my cousin and neighbors in the middle of nowhere). With a good 52" hydro w/b going 7 mph with a sulky I probably could've done 3 in 2 hours or less. $65 was a rip job either way.

grasshopperslc
05-13-2005, 02:18 AM
Hey guys I see most of the threads are fine,but I do see a couple that are pretty stupid,and that's putting it kindly.Do you think I just did it yesterday!!! That lawn was like are first lawn,so cut down on the "Pedro" and "Snickers" stuff :nono: .For the rest of the post's like Pro Cut (he's up a couple of threads)and J.Gordan. That's great I found some one that mowed more than 3 acres of grass with a 52" walk-behind,hats off to ya' bud!! :drinkup:

Todd's lawncare
05-13-2005, 03:30 AM
Hey guys I see most of the threads are fine,but I do see a couple that are pretty stupid,and that's putting it kindly.Do you think I just did it yesterday!!! That lawn was like are first lawn,so cut down on the "Pedro" and "Snickers" stuff :nono: .For the rest of the post's like Pro Cut (he's up a couple of threads)and J.Gordan. That's great I found some one that mowed more than 3 acres of grass with a 52" walk-behind,hats off to ya' bud!! :drinkup:
3 thats nothing around here one guys does about 15 don't know the size but he is moving fast too . And in mo i worked for a guy and Never had any payment problems and it was right out side St.l i guess that was back then tho . And 65 is cheap when you bid was it that tall ? is so i would have went 300 for the first mow AND I KNOW IT WAS WAY BACK IN THE DAY BUT YOU POSTED THIS SO YOU CAN'T GET MAD ABOUT IT just blow them off

grasshopperslc
05-13-2005, 04:37 AM
Hey man I'm not mad at anybody. :D I know those guy's are just being funny.Sorry if I came that way.Now did you say 15 acres WOW! That's the most I ever herd on a WB.He might have been using a 52" or 60" WB. Your right about charging $200 to $300 when the grass was that tall,but when we first bid (I guess I did not say this??) the lawn was no ware near that hight!!!! It was about 5" to 7" if that? $65 buck's for 1 1/2 acres is a good deal,so I under stand completely!!! For an every week cut I think $125 ain't to bad for a 3 acre yard using a 60" Ferris IS4500 with a CAT diesel!! :cool2:
WELL LIKE YA' SAID IT WAS BACK IN THE DAY. :D :laugh:
52" Ferris HydoWalk DD
32" Ferris HydroCut
21" Snapper HiVac commercial
Two Redmax trimmers
One Redmax blower
One Stihl BG55 blower
16' Trailer
1987 Chevy K-5 Blazer

northwest lawn
05-13-2005, 07:55 AM
first acount i ever did was six acres with a 48" wb with no sulky took me six hours to do for $175.00