PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Wright Stander

kemmer
05-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Ive always had my eye on a wright stander. went to the dealer yesterday to pick up some supplies and he had one out, so i took it out for a test drive, and damn, that thing is cool to drive :cool2: . it was a 48" with a 19hp kawi with electric start. it was awesome. hes selling it for $6400. im really thinking about buying. I already have a 36" scag with a proslide, i also like the design of the stander b/c its more compact, and i have limited trailer space.

Whats your opinion on the wright stander?

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-12-2005, 07:29 AM
I love my 52", 23hp Kawi........I think it is a great all around mower for my operation. I don't have large properties that keep me on it for hours at a time.. My largest stop takes me 60 minutes including trimming and blowing.......

Derek

ensor
05-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Can't you get a 48/19 Scag Tiger Cub for $6400? Seems like you may be getting more for your money with the rider vs Stander. Is there a compelling reason to get the Stander over a rider?

Itsgottobegreen
05-12-2005, 10:14 AM
I love my stander, I own 3. If I had the work, I would get 5 to 10 more. They are the best thing for compact properties. They will out run a walkbehind and keep up with a ZTR. I can get 3 on a 14' trailer, were you only can get 2 ZTR on a 14' trailer. I do everything from a postage stamp to 3 acres jobs with mine.

Get the 52" size and at least 23hp. 17 is way under powered, 19 is ok, 23hp is nice and 25hp is freaking awasome. I would never buy the 48" version, it has next to nothing over hand on trimming side. Plus the 52" has way faster blade speed over the 48".

The 52" 25hp can be had for $6400, you just got to play hard ball with the guy on it.

impactlandscaping
05-12-2005, 11:41 AM
If you've got the need and the green, do it. You'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner. We cut up to 4 acre properties with ours and have no problems. Every mower has its place in the field, and the Standers are great for us. As Wil said, they take up so much less trailer room, we went from a 14' mowing trailer down to a 10' for getting in and out of some of the tight driveways here in Morgantown. The 14' trailer is now loving life as a hydroseeding trailer. Get a field demo, and cut a few properties with one and see the difference.

snap12.5
05-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Ive always had my eye on a wright stander. went to the dealer yesterday to pick up some supplies and he had one out, so i took it out for a test drive, and damn, that thing is cool to drive :cool2: . it was a 48" with a 19hp kawi with electric start. it was awesome. hes selling it for $6400. im really thinking about buying. I already have a 36" scag with a proslide, i also like the design of the stander b/c its more compact, and i have limited trailer space.

Whats your opinion on the wright stander?

I demoed one and they are a blast. Get the 52". Just like Itsgottabegreen said there is almost no overlap trimming on the 48" which is important because you will cutting through beds and leveling those neat edge lines in no time. The 52" gives you more room to play with.

$6400 is very high for Ohio. I know that prices in different states vary but my dealer is selling 52'' 19hp for $5600. PM me if you want his number.

Good luck

Sweetwater
05-12-2005, 10:57 PM
I bought a floor model at end of 2004...52/23 for 5400.00. I hate it! It will not hold a candle to even my gear drive Metro 48 for cut quality. Streaks like nobody's business and even the Wright rep is perplexed by the streaking. It has been in the service bay 4 times since March and I have been fighting hard with this for past month and will soon retire unit...or sell it to you for 4800.00 so I can buy another Exmark.

rockstate
05-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I just bought my 52 23 stander this year brand new for 5600. I also own a TTHp 48" and my stander will blow it out of the water. I dont see myself happier with anything else but the stander.

Shady Brook
05-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Can you test drive a similar Stander for a day or two? I can ride mine for a few lawns and then my lower back starts to ache. This would not be good if it were to be your main mower. I personally can not imagine mowing 3 or 4 acres with one even if it did not hurt my back. My preference is to sit rather then stand, and you can get a pretty good variety of riders near your price range. I just picked up a 52" Super mini with a 27 Kohlor, and there is no stander that can keep up with it. I would also reccomend the 52" for the same astute reasons as were previously mentioned if you do go that route.

Sweetwater
05-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Rockstate,

Two letters to Wright and their rep stood me up on an appointment today to view the problems I am having. I really wanted this thing and my friend (also competitor) came on one of my jobs and laughed at how crappy my Stander is compared to his. The only saving grace is awesome local dealer, STI!!! I asked Wright for a replacment or refund and they have seen the problmes once and want to look again b4 saying anything. My position is that I expect fast correction! This damaged p.o.s. is costing me time (money) and mucho frustration.

I know most are OK, but the taste in my mouth...aghh

Itsgottobegreen
05-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Can you test drive a similar Stander for a day or two? I can ride mine for a few lawns and then my lower back starts to ache. This would not be good if it were to be your main mower. I personally can not imagine mowing 3 or 4 acres with one even if it did not hurt my back. My preference is to sit rather then stand, .
One of the top 5 reasons I run standers is because I have a bad back. I can't sit on a ZTR for more than 2 hours or so and I am in pain. Standing lets your back be straight. Not bent when sitting. What is hurting in your back is muscles that never get used, because you always have been sitting on mowers.

Sweetwater. Relax. No lawnmower company can solve a customer's problem overnight. Remember you get more bees with honey, than vinegar. Personally I believe its operator error or a blade length problem according to your other post. Not the machine.

CuttingCrew
05-13-2005, 01:55 AM
I have a 48" with a 22 HP Kohler. Love it. I do recomend getting the 52". The higher blade tip speed from the longer blades gives a better cut and the overhang for trimming is helpful. Almost any trailer that will fit a 48" will fit a 52", legth is the same I think, just a 4" wider deck.

I spent $110 bucks on new 4.9 in. pulleys to replace the 5 3/4 in. spindle pulleys on my 48". That took the blade tip speed up to about 18,050 FPM. Big improvment but I have the extra HP to support it. With a 52" I would not have needed to do that.

Mike

kemmer
05-13-2005, 08:05 PM
i have a 36 right now, so would having the a 48 really make a big different, trimming wise, because with the 36 i still have to time some areas

garyslawn
05-13-2005, 08:29 PM
How do you use Standers on hills and small swales? You need a walkbehind too. so why not just use the wbh with a velke? Would save time..

Itsgottobegreen
05-14-2005, 12:54 AM
How do you use Standers on hills and small swales? You need a walkbehind too. so why not just use the wbh with a velke? Would save time..

Its the best machine out there for hills. Since you use your body weight to gain traction on hills. I have done 42degrees with one. But safely, 35 degrees is not a problem.

The stander is faster than a walkbehind. Because with the velke you have to hand on for dear life when you whip around corners. Were the stander you are still in the same place.

garyslawn
05-14-2005, 07:08 AM
How about heigth adjustment on the stander? I have nmany lawns that are cut at different heights. I just bought a Sentar (Itgottobegreen talked me into it/why is yours for sale?) Like it alot.

Aleman
05-14-2005, 07:58 AM
Sweetwater, Im curious about about your problem. What is streaking? I run a 52" Stander and a 52" Sentar. I also have know another LCO in Charlotte that runs 2 Standers and 2 Sentars so maybe we can help but Im not sure exactly what the problem is...

Randy

Itsgottobegreen
05-14-2005, 10:00 AM
(Itsgottobegreen talked me into it/why is yours for sale?).

I bought the 61" deck for one large acreage property only to lose the job three weeks later because the guy died. I am going to get another 52" model some time soon after I sell it. I already replaced it now with another 52" stander. I want all the machines to have the same size deck in my fleet. Plus the 61" is to wide for half of my properties. Somebody can get a heck of a deal for $6000 for a machine that is practically brand new.

jangler91
05-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Had my Stander for about 4 seasons. Great cut and I like being able to see everything around me. The fixed deck is something you'll get use to but you'll learn to work with it instead of it working you.

Sweetwater
05-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Aleman,

I sent you a pvt message...GottaBeGreen, I agree, these things take time, but over a month now! I wish it were operator error but a 20 yr veteran gets the same results as me...most of my experience is WBs and outfronts and a little ZTR. The Stander was easy to learn, like immediate! Hills are no worries and overall quality is good. I guess I was spoiled by Exmark customer service and their partnership-with-users attitude.