PDA

View Full Version : Is there an easier way to change blades?

Reliable Lawn Care
05-12-2005, 09:50 AM
How does everyone change out there mower blades? Has anyone built a ramp of some sort to get the mower off the ground for access? Or does everyone tip it on the side? Or use a jack every time to raise the front end to gain access? A small question I know, but just looking for better ideas.
Thanks

MarcSmith
05-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Or does everyone tip it on the side? Thanks

i think jrco or trimmrtrap has a lever jack to lift the front end....but turn it on its side????id be worried about spilling gas or getting oil inthe carb through the crank case vent tube, or qworse yet it falling over the wrong way...

i used jack stands....

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Jungle Jack......

marko
05-12-2005, 01:32 PM
What type mower? I lift the front end of my Toro 36" from the rafters w/ a rope, tie it off and get busy. A ztr I would go with a lift

jackelope68
05-12-2005, 01:55 PM
a jungle jack and an impact wrench will cut your time in half and reduce bloody nuckles

Reliable Lawn Care
05-12-2005, 02:03 PM
What type mower? I lift the front end of my Toro 36" from the rafters w/ a rope, tie it off and get busy. A ztr I would go with a lift

Marko, I am talking about my Exmark 36, I haven't changed them yet and I am going to this weekend. My 22" mowers I usually can tilt back and throw my impact wrench under there and zip off the blade. To clean under my 36, I use a floor jack and raise the front end to gain access to scrape off the clippings. I was just curious of a better way.
Thanks

Dupontcar
05-12-2005, 03:07 PM
To those who mentioned the jungle jacks, I was wondering how you like them? Are they worth the money? How high does it lift your ZTR? Is there plenty of room to change out blades, scrape the deck etc?
I have a Exmark Lazer Z HP with a 52" deck and have been considering them.

Thank you for your inputs.

Dupontcar

marko
05-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Marko, I am talking about my Exmark 36, I haven't changed them yet and I am going to this weekend. My 22" mowers I usually can tilt back and throw my impact wrench under there and zip off the blade. To clean under my 36, I use a floor jack and raise the front end to gain access to scrape off the clippings. I was just curious of a better way.
Thanks

Thats how I do both. Rope under both front wheel mounts and tied off. I use (2) 15/16" wrenches, go in from the side, 2 minutes, both blades off. It works for now.

rick2752
05-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Drive up 1 wheel on side of trailer ramp. Jack stand under other side. Block behind wheels and set brake. Dont have one yet but Cordless impact is the way to go!! I have to drag out the hose. :)

jpp
05-12-2005, 06:18 PM
To those who mentioned the jungle jacks, I was wondering how you like them? Are they worth the money? How high does it lift your ZTR? Is there plenty of room to change out blades, scrape the deck etc?

Dupontcar

I just got my jungle jack last month and I don't know how I did without it. That is the best 160.00 that I spent. I was using car ramps then lifting them up onto jack stands. Not any more. I even take it with me during the day so I can easily clean them while I am out.

fishinman22487
05-12-2005, 06:32 PM
One way I change my blades is drive my 36" exmark viking on my trailer and let half of it hang off the side of the gate and repeat for the opposite side of the mower. Oh and offcourse set the parking brake(best thing about the viking, it has a brake, which the metro doesn't).

Roger
05-12-2005, 08:59 PM
My 36" Exmark Viking is before the parking brake feature -- I wished mine had one!

My mower is so light in the front that I can pick up the deck with one hand. I took a 2X4, about 24" long, and made a notch in one end. I cut down about 6", taking away about half the 2X4, leaving myself with a notch that will fit under the deck lip. Just to further clarify, the top 6" of the board is about 2X2, the notch cut an an angle to catch the lip. The "foot" end of the 2X4 has been cut about 5 degree angle, so that when inserted under the deck, the entire end will fit on the driveway.

For me, I merely lift up the front, slip my custom support under the lip, and change blades, scrape the underside, or whatever. I have to be careful about being on a flat surface, or having the wheels blocked so that it doesn't roll, which can happen easily.

Obviously, my scheme would not work for those mowers having too much weight on the front so that it could not be manually picked up. Frankly, I would prefer to have a different balance on the mower -- more weight on the front end.

HOOLIE
05-12-2005, 11:12 PM
I usually just prop the front end up on top of the grass catcher. Use two wrenches to change them.

Soupy
05-12-2005, 11:45 PM
For ZTR..I just slide a car jack under the front of deck and raise. For Walk-Behinds I lift the front by hand and slide some tall jack stands under the caster arms.

For you guys that change blades in the field.... What is a good cordless impact wrench? I have a few junk lawns that I would like to throw old blades on and then put good blades back on after.

MMLawn
05-13-2005, 12:33 AM
My cordless impact is a 14V Snap-On

Watkinslawnservice
05-13-2005, 12:41 PM
I hook a ratchet strap up to a rafter in garage and hook the other end to front of deck. Lift mower part way by hand and ratchet the rest of the way.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-13-2005, 01:51 PM
What I have now is a 2x10 8 footer running across 4 trusses in my garage. I have a couple of 1/2 in eye bolts screwed threw the 2x10 with a couple of washers, lock washer, and 2 nuts on the upper side holding them on. Got a couple of 15 foot ratchet straps(gonna cut some of the slack off) that I hook onto the front of the mower, lift it up a little bit and then ratchet away. I am thinking of changing this and just getting a bigger eye bolt and hooking up a ratcheting comealong instead. Take the wire up to the eye bolt and make a little harness around the front of the mower going through some stuff to make a "circle" and hook the comealong to that and start ratcheting. I think it might be safer this way too.

Reliable Lawn Care
05-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the ideas, call me lazy at the end of the day, but anything to make it faster, easier and safer is what it's about, then it's about opening the COLD ONE!

Thanks

slapshotmike24
05-13-2005, 03:19 PM
For changing blades and cleaning the deck I use my engine hoist. I bought if for $100 at Pepboys and it can lift the mower as high as you want. It also folds up to tuck away into the corner of the shop. Then I use the good old impact wrench. It would great to have a cordless, but the air works just fine in the shop. I think its alot easier than laying down under the mower using the ramp or a floor jack. :cool:

lawnandplow42
05-13-2005, 09:26 PM
jack and impact wrench

chefdrp
05-13-2005, 11:02 PM
for the W/B i use a comealong over the rafters and an impact wrench. The Z i ride up 2 of those ramp things set on cinderblocks. Then use the impact. I used to use 2 wreches but got an impact now. What a difference.

cbelawn
05-14-2005, 07:17 AM
steel beam in garage,
electric cable lift,
stand mower in end,
Air impact,
nothing could be easier

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-14-2005, 03:06 PM
When you guys use an impact wrench, do you have to use another wrench to keep the blades from turning? Just curious is all, seems like an impact wrench is the way to go, costs for these wrenches? Thanks.

tx_angler
05-14-2005, 04:46 PM
When you guys use an impact wrench, do you have to use another wrench to keep the blades from turning? Just curious is all, seems like an impact wrench is the way to go, costs for these wrenches? Thanks.

I never need another wrench using the impact wrench on my Scags but then I don't tighten them very much after they snug up either.

cbelawn
05-14-2005, 09:14 PM
toro wb needs a wrench becuse the bolt goes all the way throught the spindle. my NEW hustler has a bolt that threads into the spindle shaft so no wrench is needed. cost of an air impact to use is moteratly priced from $60 to $100. but you better have a compressor that will keep up, i have a 7 hp with a 60 gallon tank. i also do a lot of auto repair is why i have it. i also have a vehical lift in my garage.

work4green
05-15-2005, 11:19 AM
I bushhog with an acrease from kunz engineering, so this mower is a little different from the z-turns and walkbehinds y'all use. I lift the side of the deck with a highlift jack, slide a heavy wood block under for support, and take the blades off with an impact. I have a compressor mounted to my engine, running off a belt drive. It's more than enough to run an impact- and the air horn, blow nozzle(for cleaning grass and debris off the mower at the end of the day), filling tires, maybe a die grinder in the future... but it really helps for fixing flats and changing blades in the field. I have a link with pics if anyone wants it, let me know...

Andy

Smithers
05-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Thats how I do both. Rope under both front wheel mounts and tied off. I use (2) 15/16" wrenches, go in from the side, 2 minutes, both blades off. It works for now.
Marko, when you say, "Two wrenches......", do you mean one for the top of the spindle (top of deck) and one for the actual bolt that holds the blade?

I used a car ramp today....Put one wheel up on the ZTR, left the other hanging in the air. kinda scary, but no other choice. scraped the deck with a putty knife. then propped each blade with a piece of wood to prevent it from spinning while using a 18" bar to take off the blade....pain in the ass. wish i had a impact gun.

I never thought of one wrench on top of the spindle...and put the breaker bar as i was doing it..... will that work, Marco?

MarcSmith
05-18-2005, 06:09 AM
Just remember if you use an Impact gun, do not reinstall the blades nascar style.....hand thread the nut on then hit it with impact gun. This will prevent a crossthread situation.

marko
05-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Marko, when you say, "Two wrenches......", do you mean one for the top of the spindle (top of deck) and one for the actual bolt that holds the blade?

I used a car ramp today....Put one wheel up on the ZTR, left the other hanging in the air. kinda scary, but no other choice. scraped the deck with a putty knife. then propped each blade with a piece of wood to prevent it from spinning while using a 18" bar to take off the blade....pain in the ass. wish i had a impact gun.

I never thought of one wrench on top of the spindle...and put the breaker bar as i was doing it..... will that work, Marco?

On my Toro 36" Proline, the bolt goes all the way through the spindal with the bolt on top (viewable through the holes cut out of the belt cover). I hold the wrench on top where the nut is and actually turn the bolt head next to the blade.

Smithers
05-18-2005, 08:31 AM
On my Toro 36" Proline, the bolt goes all the way through the spindal with the bolt on top (viewable through the holes cut out of the belt cover). I hold the wrench on top where the nut is and actually turn the bolt head next to the blade.
that's exactly what i thought....you sandwich the blade and hold it with two wrenches...on the eXmark, it's the same way...i just have one extra grove on the spindle on top for my UltraVac, so i will need to get a deep socket, instead of a wrench for that one (where the chute is).

Doing this, i will not really NEED an impact gun. as a part timer, i dont cut as many lawns as you guys and dont need to change them that often.

thanks, Marko

ALarsh
05-18-2005, 08:48 PM
I use the Z-Stand & an impact wrench. Blade changing has never been easier.

PROCUTSLAWNCARE
05-18-2005, 10:55 PM
For my WB I get the rear end right on the edge of the trailer floor and where the gate is hooked to the edge of the trailer. Leave it in gear and just tilt back. Everything is right there no ropes or straps to mess with. For the Zero turn I back it half way down the gate to where the front casters are about half way down the gate. This leaves me with enough room to lay on the ground and go to town.

Oh,,, Impact all the way! For the WB that have the long bolt that goes all the way through. Just hold the blade and use the impact on the top where the nut is. Works everytime. Never had the use a wrench to hold the other end.......

Smithers
05-20-2005, 07:47 AM
I noticed that none of you said that you use a torque wrench. that's odd. I thought that all of you use it.

I got one for X-mas and used it. Now i am sure my bolts are not over torqued. Even if i had an impact, that can not assure me that the bolts are at 120 ft.lbs...unless there is a gauge on the gun.

ALarsh
05-20-2005, 04:10 PM
The bolts need to be tight but they do not have to be exactly 120 ft/lbs. I just use the torque wrench on the "2" setting until it stops. I make sure that 90 psi is in the lines so it gets it tight enough.

burns60
05-31-2005, 12:11 AM
On my Exmark HP Lazer 48inch I found that if I hold the top nut with a wrench while I loosen the blade nut that the top nut is loosening also. The dealer said I would have to block the blade, which is what I started doing. I have a 44 inch ZForce Cub that I can hold the top nut with wrench and get the blade off, but it doesn't work this way for the Exmark. My next major purchase will be an impact wrench. Has anyone used an electric impact, and is it strong enough to do the job? What brand and cost?

South Florida Lawns
05-31-2005, 12:18 AM
A Z-stand and an impact gun.

Roger
05-31-2005, 05:33 AM
burns60

Do a search for a thread about a month or two ago: 18volt impact wrench. Some suggestions were offered for impact wrenches (branch, size, cost, etc)

Property Pro
05-31-2005, 10:49 PM
i lift my ztr with a com-a-long attached to a hook in the cielling of the garage.

deereman
05-31-2005, 11:00 PM
loader,then I tie it off for extra security. Grab the impact zip, zip, zip..........clean underside of deck. replace with new or the usual pre- sharpened blades. Then zip , zip, zip, all done. :D

burns60
06-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Roger that Roger, and thanks. Here I go searching

Smithers
06-01-2005, 07:35 AM
burns60

Do a search for a thread about a month or two ago: 18volt impact wrench. Some suggestions were offered for impact wrenches (branch, size, cost, etc)
it's really hard to recommend one over the another....i personally dont have one, but if you have an air compressor, the impact guns are much cheaper.

you said you wanted an 18V one. I was reading a post awhile back and someone said they loved their millwalkee (sp?). i believe makita does not make an 18V. my choice would be a ridgid or a millwalkee.

just make sure that it has the torque you need. for my exmark, i need about 115 ft-lb.

The other day i both a 1.25" socket, put it on the bolt on top of the spindle, had my torque wrench on the bottom, and took out the bolts with no problem. thanks for the tip, marko!!!

gro2mow
07-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Just got my CC Charger 25 Kaw/60". I just can't figure out what the big deal is getting to the blades. Looks pretty easy to me.

Smithers
07-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Just got my CC Charger 25 Kaw/60". I just can't figure out what the big deal is getting to the blades. Looks pretty easy to me.
i dont even know what a Charger is or who makes it. yeah, for you it's pretty easy cause you can bring the deck at almost eye level. on most mowers you have to put them up with either jacks or a ramp.

what brand is the snowblower in the back? looks brand new.

gro2mow
07-28-2005, 09:45 AM
The Charger is made by Country Clipper. One of the reasons I purchased it was for the easy access to the underside and how well it worked on my 30" deep very bumpy field. Not to mention I was able to manuver 35 degree slopes on the back lawn horizontally without sliding off. The joystick is great and you can really brace yourself with the fixed grab handle on the left side. I don't think I could have done it with twin sticks.

The snowblower in the background is an Ariens 1128 Pro model about 4 years old.

Grass Man
07-28-2005, 10:25 AM
.... Get a Kubota ZTR. The jack is all built in, nothing to it, it's a snap :).

Mr.CleanCut
07-28-2005, 01:26 PM
I only have a 48 WB but I keep a jack stand in the truck so I can make a change or clean the deck if necessary. Besides that I've use a fork lift at my first job but that doesn't seem to pratical for most.

RKISTNER1
07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
My Deere does the same thing..but the ass end doesn't go down. LOL!

South Florida Lawns
07-28-2005, 03:50 PM
They are available on Toro ztr's. They are quick and easy to use and are always with you.

John Gamba
07-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Do you have to disconect the mule belt?
John

Branchland
07-28-2005, 04:21 PM
On my walk behinds I just lift the front up a puit a piece of 4x4 that is cut to lenghth. I just recently got a hoist, the kind you hook up in the rafters and has a chain to raise up whatever you want. Going to use it for my ZTR.

John Gamba
07-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Jungle Jack......

This is a great tool. ive used one since they came out. You can fit it on a trailer with the holder like you would anything else. Fast, Easy and its not in the way.

Go to country clipper.com and see the video on how you lift the deck. it funny :laugh:

In the pic if you look close you will see the jungle jack in the jungle HUT.
John

ALarsh
07-28-2005, 04:25 PM
The toro Z-stand is always there for you and never in the way. I love it. :):):)

Lux Lawn
07-28-2005, 06:15 PM
John
I can tell you did some work that day. :)

John Gamba
07-28-2005, 07:16 PM
John
I can tell you did some work that day. :)

Back in the day :D that was Lunch Time :waving:

John

Oh the EPS Lazer on the left, That was the first time i used Double High-lifts.
The Good old days :waving:

lawncuttinfoo
12-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm currently looking for a cordless impact wrench that has a torque limiter so I will not over exceed the 45-60 ft/lbs reccomendation on the new Exmarks. But I do not believe one exists.

I did find a torque limiting socket but it is long and would not work well for reaching under a tilted mower deck.

John Gamba,
What is the jungle HUT? I can not find it on jungle jim's web page. I'd like to transport my jungle jack too.

burns60
12-06-2005, 02:15 AM

Dupontcar

I think the lift is 16 inches, but what you do is as soon as you come off the trailer just turn around and back up the ramp about a foot or so. This will add about 6inches more to the clearance. Jungle jacks and impacts are the best thing since shirt pockets. Best money I spent this year.

grassyfras
12-06-2005, 02:28 AM
use your trailer ramp

John Gamba
12-06-2005, 06:31 AM
I'm currently looking for a cordless impact wrench that has a torque limiter so I will not over exceed the 45-60 ft/lbs reccomendation on the new Exmarks. But I do not believe one exists.

I did find a torque limiting socket but it is long and would not work well for reaching under a tilted mower deck.

John Gamba,
What is the jungle HUT? I can not find it on jungle jim's web page. I'd like to transport my jungle jack too.

In the pic you will see it holding up the jack. Its also used for holding up the Jungle Wheels. Email them and see if they still have them.
John

yardmanlee
12-06-2005, 07:06 AM
I pull the trailer out from my shed just a bit let the tail gate down, move the mower to the edge and use a hand winch mounted on the side of the building
with a pulley over head hook it to the front of the deck wind it up w/ plenty of room to clean and change blades I use an impact for that zip off / zip on
let the mower down and back to work !!!

CutInEdge Lawn Care
12-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Jungle Jack works great for me. Would'nt be without it.
Good Luck!!

CutInEdge Lawn Care
12-06-2005, 08:31 AM
No, I dont need a 2nd wrench for impact. For some reason when cutting really tall grass (over 1 foot tall) the non-chute side blade will need some additional elbow grease to remove.