PDA

View Full Version : cross post - 21' honda hard to handle

mkirby
05-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Ive been running 3 new honda's and everybody's hands are ready to fall off. Anyone else having trouble's with this bad design of the cluth and drive bars?
The unit is impossible to go around and under trees at average speed with one hand. The gap between the two handles is just too wide. We have lots of fenced back yards and it's almost impossible to turn in the corners.
I gave up today and am using old JD till I get this modified.
I sure wish these company's would give a big LC a demo b4 they go into production.
This is one of the worst setups Ive seen on a Commercial and Ive tried them all in the last 15 years! I'm taking mine to a welder this afternoon.
P.S. It cuts awesome though.
Mike

south jerz
05-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Three 21 foot mowers? Wow no wonder you have a hard time turning. But then again you don't even need to turn, you can do all your yards in one pass.

saw man
05-12-2005, 03:09 PM
They do give prototypes to big LCO's. I dont have a problem with my Honda, I think you just need to get used to the design.

mkirby
05-12-2005, 03:50 PM
My best employee can't even hold a glass of water after a week! LOL
What is he doing wrong?
I ran it for 4 hours today, if you cut small postage stamp type lawns like us the handles are killer! I agrred with him that the setup was horrible.
We do 30 lawns a day with 2 to a truck and my main crew gave up today and took the old JD commercials out!
Thanks MIKE

saw man
05-12-2005, 03:59 PM
I had lawns, which some could handle a lawnchair and thats it. We did 127 in a day and i never had that problem.
I see alot of guys using both hands for both levers. Use one hand for each seperate lever. you dont need to hold the button down after its engaged so you can move your hand wherever on the bar. Test it out and try different things, after awhile i think you will get used to it and like it alot.

ed2hess
05-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Since HONDA drives from both wheels you got to release the clutch when you go around small trees, and push the mower. The upside is this unit works well on hills and slopes since neither wheel slips like most all other mowers. These units are not real good for small tight situation, but they are the BEST wet grass bagging mower! You will grow into the unit..lift a few weights with your hands and fingars.

dishboy
05-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Is the new dewsign any different than the old HRC 216? I just tape the BBC on and use one thumb to control ground speed. I love the set up. The handle bar is long, I'll concede that. In real tight areas I sometimes just pull backwards instead of turning.

specialtylc
05-12-2005, 09:49 PM
I had a Deere JX85. The controls are easy to run with one hand, but having to squeeze the drive bail with your fingers was tiring to me. And the damn thing was always breaking down. All we run are Honda HRCs now. And then their is that screwed up design by Toro/Exmark.Worst mower I ever tried running.