PDA

View Full Version : grass fungus

Toy2
05-12-2005, 04:57 PM
I did a search and know there was a post a couple of months back on this....I had someone call me and give them an estimate, guy wanted to look at my equipment.....liked what he saw, claimed he fired his last LCo for spreading fungus in his lawn as well as using a ZTR which tore up sections of his yard....what was the verdict on what to spray on the mower and blades? Alcohol or bleach solution??Thanks

DFW Area Landscaper
05-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Neither. If the guy is that anal retentive about his lawn he will never be a good customer...unless he volunteered to pay extra to have you wash the blades every week when you show up to cut his lawn.

Besides, fungus isn't spread by lawn mowers. If it is st augustine, he probably has brown patch fungus. Tell him to turn the sprinklers off and the problem will go away with summer heat. It will probably come back in the same areas next fall. Fungicide treatments are very ineffective and there isn't much that can be done about it.

The only thing that is spread by lawn mowers is st augustine decline, which is very rare and is a viral infection. I've never seen it.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

marko
05-12-2005, 05:13 PM
I have heard a bleach solution. If you are going to bother to spray your mower, spray your weedeater, edger, shoes, etc. Most turf gets funguses, its just if there is enough there to do damage, or if the turf is healthy enought to not really show it. With the moist weather (and people watering at night) along with the cool weather recently, it has been fungus city here. I would just mow as high as possible, educate on watering, and mow as usual and keep equip clean as possible. If he thinks you spread fungus to his yard, nothing you say or do will make him change his mind. Fungus can be spread by mowers as well as insects, wind, etc. Fungicide treatments are very effective if done as directed, 99.9% of the public will balk when they see the price though!

Toy2
05-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks folks.....great tips....maybe I will buy a special mower for him!!!!Not!!! :D