PDA

View Full Version : PITA strikes again!

packerbacker
05-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Let me start from the beginning. Grab a beer and be ready to read.

About 2 months ago I got a call from my buddies boss asking me for some work. He wanted his grass cut on a weekly basis, 3 yards of mulch installed, 500 SQ ft of sod installed, a drainage system put in and a deck built.

First thing I did was go over and get the grass cut first and then we start working on plans for a deck. After 5 different blueprints are drawn up for a deck we finally agree on something. He asks me when I can start on it and I say it will be at least a week. They agree to it. The next week I get over to cut and a company is there building a deck :realmad: I ask him what the deal is and he says he doesnt want to wait that long for it to be built. I laugh it off and go on my business.

The next week he calls and says he is ready for the sod. I get it ordered a few days later and 3 days after that he calls to tell me he wants to wait on the sod because they are going out of town for 10 days and wont be there to water it. Great! I now have a pallet of sod rotting in front of me that the sod farm wont take back. $100.00 out of my pocket.

He then tells me to do the mulch while they are gone. Last FRI I go over and lay the mulch and everything is fine. He gets home a couple days ago and doesnt say a thing to me so I assume everything is fine.

10 MINS ago I get a call from him. He asks me why I didnt finish the mulch job on 1 side of the house. I inform him that there was no point in putting mulch in one of the beds because he had said he was going to plant some stuff there later on AND the drain was going in right under the bed. So we would have to dig the mulch up to get everything in.

He then informs me that I had told him that I would be putting in 7-8 inches of dirt in the bed and then laying the mulch 6 inches thick. :dizzy:

Is this guy F'ing insane???????? Why would I put 7-8 inches of dirt in a bed? That would raise the level up well over the plants that were in there. I also told him that I only lay mulch 3 inches thick and thats what we agreed upon.

He sarcastically told me that he and his wife must of made up the whole thing.

JERK

I ask him if he wants me to continue with everythiing and he says no but to continue the mowing. I tell him fine. I do his house on Mondays and he asks me if I can switch to Thur or Fridays. I tell him fine but I would have to up the charge $10.00 a week to cover the cost of gas driving from another part of town.

He laughs and tells me to send him a final bill.

Im glad to be rid of him.

stumper1620
05-12-2005, 08:12 PM
that sounds like one that calls for a 6 pack and a party, damn, what a jerk, party hardy after that you deserve it. be glad he is gone. :D :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

Jason Rose
05-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Wow, I thought those kind of customers were only something Bobby got! :p Man, that sucks you are out for the pallet of sod, maybe you could re-coup the funds somehow? Good Bye to that one, what a freak! :dizzy:

kc2006
05-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I had a customer like that last year! Everything i said or did wasn't what we agree'd on! I started to freak out in my mind but I kept calm and charged her for what i had and left. After that, service agreements for everything!

sheshovel
05-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Charge him double for your trouble and HE PAYS for the sod and include your markup for it and delivery,and your time for meeting with him every time and the time you spent on the deck plans,and your mows plus a PITA charge too.

Todd's lawncare
05-12-2005, 09:31 PM
did you do the blue prints ? if you had top buy them i would send a final bill for the sod and them even if you made them your self and if he dont pay remove the mulch and every thing else you did

mpflood
05-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Remove the mulch and he'll call the cops,been there ,done that :realmad:

MowerMoney
05-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Remove the mulch and he'll call the cops,been there ,done that :realmad:

Has he paid for the mulch and installation? If not, then technically the mulch is not his and you would only be reclaiming your own property. Yes? No?

packerbacker
05-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Has he paid for the mulch and installation? If not, then technically the mulch is not his and you would only be reclaiming your own property. Yes? No?

He hasnt paid yet. I just put the final bill in the mail and hour ago

lawnman_scott
05-12-2005, 10:46 PM
This is why i charge in advance. I would have been gone the day of the deck building. I dont think you will miss this one too much.

packerbacker
05-12-2005, 11:00 PM
This is why i charge in advance. I would have been gone the day of the deck building. I dont think you will miss this one too much.

Its my buddies boss. I thought I could trust him...I cant wait to hear from my friend.

kc2006
05-12-2005, 11:13 PM
cant trust anyone. The woman that flipped on me was best friends with one of my friends mothers.

J.Gordon
05-12-2005, 11:26 PM

Don't bet on that.

afftandem
05-12-2005, 11:39 PM
did you do the blue prints ? if you had top buy them i would send a final bill for the sod and them even if you made them your self and if he dont pay remove the mulch and every thing else you did

you would need a contract such as that as a car/rent to own/etc. where you can repo the materials... other than that, cops are goin to run u off and tell u to take it to claims court. If you have it in contract that you can take it, then nuthn done..(maybe) its still their private property.. they can still run you off, then you can come back and take it... but all in all.. stupid to take it back.. waist of time, take them to court and get your money..hope you live in a state where you can garnish wages.... also consider a collection agency to put a mark against their credit..

South Florida Lawns
05-13-2005, 12:26 AM
I hate it when people change there minds so much and just waste your time.

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-13-2005, 02:56 AM
I tell him fine but I would have to up the charge $10.00 a week to cover the cost of gas driving from another part of town.

He laughs and tells me to send him a final bill.

Im glad to be rid of him.

Sounds like one of those cases where you either get knots in your stomach everytime you go there to perform a service or you tell them to go to hell early on. :angry:

sheshovel
05-14-2005, 01:29 AM
You can't remove the mulch once it has been installed,that's why god made mechanic's leins.

hosejockey2002
05-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way. If someone wants something built, they sign a contract, they write a check for half, you build it, they write a check for the other half. Unless you work it that way, get used to people changing their minds and messing you over.

Todd's lawncare
05-14-2005, 02:38 AM
You can't remove the mulch once it has been installed,that's why god made mechanic's leins.
Wanna bet ?

JFGLN
05-14-2005, 12:14 PM
On bigger jobs or with new customers its a good idea to put it in writing. I use a simple job proposal/bid that spells out what services and materials are to be provided. On the bottom is a place for the customers signature and a statement that says any changes to this agreement must be in writing.

Mower For Less
05-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Wanna bet ?

Not that you cant remove it, just you CANT remove it (legally). It would be considered theft once it is installed at the customers house even if they have not paid for it yet. A mechanics lein is the best way to go if they are not paying.

Kevin