PDA

View Full Version : 36" Toro WB

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-12-2005, 08:10 PM
I have a chance to buy a 36" Toro WB. Belt drive, fixed deck, T-Bar. It's a hold over from 2004. This dealer brought it in last year as a test of the market. He didn't sell it so he discounted it to $1863.00. I demoed it today and it is awesome on wet grass and I thought it handled very well. My only hesitation is, why didn't it sell? He said that most of his biz is HO and their reasoning was why pay $2400.00 to walk when for $3000.00 they can ride. I have confirmed this attitude with a couple of other local dealers. None offer WBs on the floor for this reason.
What does anybody know about this unit?

Equipguy
05-12-2005, 08:22 PM
We've got 2 to of them we use on our commercial properties. Great basic machines and the price your being offered is very nice too. Good Luck :cool:

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Great mower, mine is 6 years old and still the best all around machine I have ever used. I like to call it my "bushhog". It hardly ever clumps, and discharges really far.

I will replace it with the same machine when the time comes.

That is a great price.

Derek

mkwl
05-12-2005, 11:24 PM
I just bought a brand new Toro Proline 36" belt drive w/ 13 HP Kawi V-Twin engine, a few months ago and I love it already! It has a great quality of cut and stripe!!! I also have a Grass Gobbler catcher for it and it bags and discharges very well! For that price, it's a great deal for you! Get it and I'm sure you'll love it!

ed2hess
05-12-2005, 11:26 PM
I have a chance to buy a 36" Toro WB. Belt drive, fixed deck, T-Bar. It's a hold over from 2004. This dealer brought it in last year as a test of the market. He didn't sell it so he discounted it to $1863.00. I demoed it today and it is awesome on wet grass and I thought it handled very well. My only hesitation is, why didn't it sell? He said that most of his biz is HO and their reasoning was why pay $2400.00 to walk when for $3000.00 they can ride. I have confirmed this attitude with a couple of other local dealers. None offer WBs on the floor for this reason.
What does anybody know about this unit?
A $3000 riding mower would not seem to be the quality level that you are talking about with this unit. I would bet that a Scag 36" rider will cost around $5000. These units sell in our area, but people are looking for the floating decks.

oldturf
05-13-2005, 12:49 AM
I'm looking for a small mower. Where is this mower located. If its within a days drive of me I would be glad to buy it at that price, if you don't.

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-13-2005, 02:45 AM
A $3000 riding mower would not seem to be the quality level that you are talking about with this unit. I would bet that a Scag 36" rider will cost around $5000. These units sell in our area, but people are looking for the floating decks.

Well, as I said, most of his market is HO wanting commercial equipment and not wanting to pay for it. In other words if Cub Cadet makes a commercial mower then all Cub Cadets must be commercial mowers, right? They are turning away a great walk behind for a good rider and paying an extra $500.00 to $1000.00. payup

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-13-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm looking for a small mower. Where is this mower located. If its within a days drive of me I would be glad to buy it at that price, if you don't.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm. No habla English.
It's in............................. New Orleans. :angel:

oldturf
05-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Wellllllllllllllllllllllll. I think maybe it might be a little closer, huh?

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Wellllllllllllllllllllllll. I think maybe it might be a little closer, huh?

Actually it's in my shop right now. :waving:

You there Roger V?

oldturf
05-14-2005, 12:02 AM
Congrats. Now I'm going to be trying to match that deal.

oldturf
05-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Well could not match your deal. But I bought a 32" Toro T-bar belt drive w/ floating deck , 13 kohler engine, electric start for $2,500.00. Not nearly as good as your deal but it will have to do.

jbell113
05-17-2005, 10:00 PM
I would not buy it simply because its a fixed deck. Floating is the way to go.

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Well could not match your deal. But I bought a 32" Toro T-bar belt drive w/ floating deck , 13 kohler engine, electric start for $2,500.00. Not nearly as good as your deal but it will have to do.

And you are going to love it. I've used it 2 days now and a few props I will not even take the ztr off the trailer. Great cut in wet grass too. Seems to slide a little on steeper slopes but if I go up and down hill, it generally gives a good cut. Not used to a fixed deck though.
Also, I notice that in my first post I put it as a 36". It is a 32" t-bar. :rolleyes:

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-17-2005, 10:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with a fixed deck mower.........especially in a 32" or 36" size.

oldturf
05-18-2005, 01:18 AM
I'll agree that on this size mower a fixed deck is no problem, it just happened that all my dealer had was a floater. This can't be bad, I hope. I had a Toro 32" several years ago and really liked it except that I would bend a blade occasionally. I am going to put a Meg-Mo on it to see if that will solve the problem.

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-18-2005, 04:33 AM
I'll agree that on this size mower a fixed deck is no problem, it just happened that all my dealer had was a floater. This can't be bad, I hope. I had a Toro 32" several years ago and really liked it except that I would bend a blade occasionally. I am going to put a Meg-Mo on it to see if that will solve the problem.

Why would the blades bend?

marko
05-18-2005, 09:26 AM
There is nothing wrong with a fixed deck mower.........especially in a 32" or 36" size.

I agree. Floating, in my opinion, is a waste on anything smaller than a 36".

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-18-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm not having any problems with scalping or anything. It's just that it's a bit of a chore going from 2" in height to 3". Spacers and such.
Also, I have to be careful how steep a slope I try to climb. The front of the WB digs in a little on a steeper slope. But, I do love this machine. It is a great improvement on some of the wet lawns. No skid marks.

Rinker97
05-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Are those skid marks gone from the yard or your undies? :laugh:

Rinker

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Are those skid marks gone from the yard or your undies? :laugh:

Rinker

Well, the yard. :laugh:

oldturf
05-18-2005, 05:03 PM
That blade is 31 and 3/8" long and it will bend when you hit something. And I will tell you that you will have no doubt that it has bent because the vibration is considerable.
That long blade does make a nice cut and in clean areas it is super. I hope that the Meg-Mo will let me use it in some rougher areas. I like the machine a lot and am looking forward to picking it up.

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-19-2005, 06:12 AM
That blade is 31 and 3/8" long and it will bend when you hit something. And I will tell you that you will have no doubt that it has bent because the vibration is considerable.
That long blade does make a nice cut and in clean areas it is super. I hope that the Meg-Mo will let me use it in some rougher areas. I like the machine a lot and am looking forward to picking it up.

My 32" has dual blades.

oldturf
05-19-2005, 03:14 PM
That is a very unique Toro 32".
I have never seen a 2 bladed 32" Toro and I am buying a brand new one. After I read your response I called my dealer and asked if they had something new on those machines. He said it was still a single blade and he had not heard of one with two blades. If you truely have one, please post the model number because I would certainly rather have one.

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-19-2005, 06:43 PM
I have never seen a 2 bladed 32" Toro and I am buying a brand new one. After I read your response I called my dealer and asked if they had something new on those machines. He said it was still a single blade and he had not heard of one with two blades. If you truely have one, please post the model number because I would certainly rather have one.

My Toro Proline model 30164 Does indeed have 2 blades. I just looked to be sure I wasn't dreaming. :p

oldturf
05-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Looks like I'm eating crow. I looked up the model number on Toro site and it shows two spindles. I have not seen one. It is too late to contact dealer at work but I have a call in to him at home. I want one with two blades, not one. I swear I had one several years ago and it was a big old single blade. Maybe I'm getting older and more forgetful than I realized. Thank's for setting me straight. And I have already ordered a big blade from Meg-Mo. !@#!^@$^#%

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Looks like I'm eating crow. I looked up the model number on Toro site and it shows two spindles. I have not seen one. It is too late to contact dealer at work but I have a call in to him at home. I want one with two blades, not one. I swear I had one several years ago and it was a big old single blade. Maybe I'm getting older and more forgetful than I realized. Thank's for setting me straight. And I have already ordered a big blade from Meg-Mo. !@#!^@$^#%

Maybe some do have the single blade. Good gawd, a blade that long would have to be pretty thick to be rigid enough to not to bend.

On another note, I bought a new Echo string trimmer at a local dealer. Not the one who sold me the WB. I discussed the WB with him and he told me that nobody will sell WB, in my area, because they have a high incidence of carpal tunnel caused by using them. Has anybody heard this? 2/3 of the larger LCO's have WB's. The larger towns near here, sell WB's. The dealer I got mine from, just started out a couple of years ago himself. He said he ordered this one to test the market and, well, refer to my first post for that story.
Thanks for the feed back. This, over all, is a great group of people. :waving:

Fareway Lawncare
05-19-2005, 09:30 PM
You Crazy Kids...The Twin Blade 32" Proline is a Rebadged eXmark Metro 32" and has Been Around for Years...The Twin Blade 32"s are Much Better than the Toro Designed Single Blade Monstrosity..

Better You Kids Buy a Nice 21" Proline instead of a Belt 32".

oldturf
05-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Found out that fixed decks are twin floating are single. Went back on Toro web and look up floating like my old one and like the new one that I am getting. The fixed deck is kind of hard to adjust on the cutting level while the floating deck is quick and simple.
My dealer called me back from his home and said that he would get a fixed deck one for me but I think I'll stay with this one. That big old blade makes a great cut and perhaphs the Meg-Mo will solve the bending problem. My dealer said that snapper made a heavy duty blade for their 32" riding mower. That may be another option.
So like everything else you learn something new every day.
By the way, you made a heck of a buy on that mower. I hate 21" mowers.

mkwl
05-20-2005, 10:54 PM

All the Toro Proline 32" mowers in my area are twin blades, I've never seen a single blade Toro Proline 32".

yard sloth
05-25-2005, 03:15 PM
The Twin Blade 32"s are Much Better than the Toro Designed Single Blade Monstrosity..

Better You Kids Buy a Nice 21" Proline instead of a Belt 32".

I see a lot of those single blade 32" toro "monstrosities" around here. somebody must like them. I'd be interested in hearing how well they perform compared to a toro 21" on small yards. anybody have both the single blade 32 and 21?

GLC51
05-28-2005, 03:05 AM
I have the Toro 32" single blade and have the Proline 21". As for the 21" it has the 2 cycle Suzuki. I used it for 3 years it cut pretty well but would get bogged down in heavy stuff, I spent $99 for the add on discharge chute but it was mostly a waste of money, got plugged up to easily. Anyway I bought a Lawnboy commercial with the 2 cycle engine the last year they were for sale here, I like the LB much better, much lighter and easier to maneuver. Have the Toro still as backup. As for the 32" it does a nice job if you cut low 2.5" but the blade doesn't have enough lift if you cut at 3" and above, if won't lift the bent grass from the tire tracks and you end up with little mowhawks most of the time. I like the machine in other respects. I love the T bar steering, it has a floating deck so easy height changes. For mulching leaves I raise the front up to 4.5" so the leaves will go under and not pile up in front like a snowplow. The one I bought has a Kohler 13hp, I saw the other 32" with the twin blades has gone to a Kawa ( everything seems to this year). The blade as I said has lousy lift and up here that's the only choice I have. If they had a larger sail on it that would help but then it would hit the kickers. I took them off to see what would happen. Put them back on, because the deck is round the grass would go round and round and wouldn't discharge and you would get a big wad of grass churning around and the machine would start to thump and shudder. Because the blade is so long they have a stiffener that they call a spacer. It's about 15" long that sits on top of the blade. I did bend one blade I didn't shut down the blade when I went over a sidewalk it caught and bent it about 5" down and it really shook and shuddered till it got stopped but other than the bent blade everything else was OK, lesson learned. After reading all the posts that guys are running doubles I thought I would try it. They are just stacked not it a cross but even that improved the airflow it throws farther and the clippings are smaller too. I've order another stiffener so I can put them in a cross pattern so I'm hoping that will improve the lift since I'll have twice the sail area. The discharge chute is metal and points down which is OK with light clippings as it tends to blow them into the turf instead of on top. Most of the time I have it raised a bit or a lot depending where I'm cutting. If you leave it down it will quite often dig into the lawn on the swales etc. I did look at the twin blade Toro 32" but I'm going to stick with the one I've got if I can just get it to lift the grass better. I'v e got a lot of properties that are gated with big backyards. I put the Velkye on and motor on the larger lots. That's my 2 cents. :)

yard sloth
05-28-2005, 03:20 AM
excellent review, thanks for the info!

oldturf
05-28-2005, 03:58 AM
I just picked up my new single blade 32" Toro today and I got the Toro sulky and electric start. I had one years ago and liked the little machine except for the possibility of bending that blade. I use Meg-Mo blades on some of my other machine so I have one on order for this one. It should have a lot more lift and be a lot less likely to bend. If this works, I think that I will have a great little mulching machine. I will let you know how the Meg-Mo works out on it.