PDA

View Full Version : Stick Edger

Mortymower
05-12-2005, 08:14 PM
I use my weedeater now and just turn it upside down like i have for 6 years but in some places i have to go VERY slow, and i was wondering if the stick edgers with one wheel by echo, stihl, and redmax were worth what they cost. DO ther do a good job and are they easy to use. Just wondering

Jason Rose
05-12-2005, 08:35 PM
I used my line trimmer as well, never been able to make a stick edger work well for me... I am very fast with the trimmer doing edges, just as fast as trimming anything else. Bermuda that grows fast over the edgs slows me down, but otherwise it's still faster than going back to the trailer to get an edger that ends up missing half of what I go over anyway. Plus then I have to walk right over what I just edged to do the trimming with the weedeater. Don't give up on the trimmer line, It's still easier to load line than it is to change blades.

MP350
05-12-2005, 09:42 PM
I use a stick edger and like the way it leaves a crisp edge. Never got the hang of turning the weed eater to edge plus I burned up a lot of string. I guess it all comes down to what you prefer.

The C Man
05-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Put one of these on your trimmer....

http://www.edgit.com/

ed2hess
05-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Stick edgers are just another piece of hardware on the trailer that you can do without. As a guy pointed out in another thread why not get a backup trimmer instead. My newest employees learn to make a good edge in less than one week.

Jason Rose
05-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Stick edgers are just another piece of hardware on the trailer that you can do without. As a guy pointed out in another thread why not get a backup trimmer instead.

Good point, I forgot to mention... I carry two trimmers with me. they are cheap compared to other equipment and whe one runs out of line in the middle of a job I just grab the other and finish and wait to reload the spool at home. Trimmers are funny too, sometimes the rain will cause one to not want to fire. No worries, grab the other one!

I have a 3 place Trimmer Trap rack and the top rack stays empty because my stick edger stays in my garage hanging on the wall with cob webs on it!

MMLawn
05-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I use my weedeater now and just turn it upside down like i have for 6 years

DANG!! That means that you have been doing it that way since you were
8 years old! :dizzy:

SoloMow
05-12-2005, 10:55 PM
My Redmax stick edger is the single best investment I have made during my second year in the business. I can make a perfect edge as fast as I can walk. Trimmers, in the hands of an experienced LCO, can make good edges. Anyone can make a perfect edge with a stick edger. :cool:

DLCS
05-12-2005, 10:56 PM
DANG!! That means that you have been doing it that way since you were
8 years old! :dizzy:

LMAO, some peoples kids. :rolleyes:

HOOLIE
05-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Back in the Dark Ages before there were stick edgers, I would often use the trimmer instead of those awkward "walk-behind" edgers. But with the stick edgers, heck, I can practically run while I edge.

And what's so hard about changing the blade? That's one of the faster and easier things to do.

Gene $immons
05-12-2005, 11:27 PM
This is not an insult or anything.. But, I think it looks .. how should I say this.. cheap, or scrubbish when I see guys edging with a weed-eater. sorry

hunter
05-12-2005, 11:32 PM
I bet I can edge and string trim most houses faster then most guys can with just a string trimmer. Even with going back to the trailer to get the string trimmer.

And my edges will always look better.

Mortymower
05-13-2005, 12:06 AM
MMLawn like i said in a different post i started with an elctric weedeater when i was nine (im 15 now) and i learned how to edge with the weedeater when i started.

MMLawn
05-13-2005, 12:23 AM
MMLawn like i said in a different post i started with an elctric weedeater when i was nine (im 15 now) and i learned how to edge with the weedeater when i started.

Oh, okay so you were 9 years old when you started in business, not 8 years old. I got it.

CuttingCrew
05-13-2005, 02:10 AM
A string trimmer in the hands of a very skilled person will leave a good edge over a long period of time.

If you are not that skilled or have some one working for you that is not, over time, your established edge will get wider and wider till it is an inch or more wide. Several of the lawns I picked up this year have edges you could twist your ankle in. They look like crap.

I do not have the time to walk slowly enough to keep a thin, clean edge. With a stick edger no matter how fast you need to move you can learn to use one in a short amount of time and always leave a thin, square and strait edge without the risk of blowing out way more turf than you should.

Use the right tool for the job. Trim with a string trimmer, edge with an edger. (stick or wheeled)

Mike

SproulsLawnCare
05-13-2005, 02:29 AM
I have read of a lot of people using a trimmer to edge with, but there is one thing I can't understand. Many of the walkways that I see have the dirt and lawn 1/4" or even more above the concrete. How can you leave a crisp edge on something like this with a string trimmer? Just wondering.

joeg2246
05-13-2005, 03:37 AM
I believe Cuttingcrew said it best "Trim with a string trimmer and edge with an edger" I use an Echo PE-260 and it is an awesome piece of equipment. Driveways and sidewalks look great with a perfect edging job and edging flower beds are a snap!

tfilbert
05-13-2005, 05:32 AM
I bought an edger this year because I like the more professional look and I can get it done much faster with my wheel edger. I did a few time studies after I got it and I'm about 5-8 minutes faster on most properties. I have picked-up a few jobs because other LCO's don't edge like I do and the customers like the shape, clean lines. Do what you want, keep using the string trimmer to edge but please don't cry when you loose accounts to others. If you are dealing in just volumn and care only about the number of accounts and quality is second, best of luck.
Tim

naturescape
05-13-2005, 08:48 AM
I agree with C Man, check out the Edgit. I have a trimmer w/Edgit, and a stick edger (Echo 260). Right now the Edgit is on the truck!

If you use it properly, the Edgit will give you an even better edge than a stick edger, AND be easier to clean up as the Edgit will not fling dirt all over the place.

BCSteel
05-13-2005, 09:28 AM
For cement edges over several hundred feet long an edger is at an advantage speed wise. Otherwise save your money and use a string trimmer. My maintained string edges will out compete any regularly maintained blade edged lawns. Could just be my competition though...

MTR
05-13-2005, 02:14 PM
I know it can be done with trimmer on edging IF you are experienced enough but down here in FL, most of guys that do edging with trimmer they lost accounts all the time, just like that in weeks, week 1 week 2 boom, gone.
You can not cut thick St Augustine in high -end residential or commercial park, big dollar accounts with trimmer alone, you will be fired cause they all want estate look with crisp edge both concrete and walk and bed.
Edger for edging, trimmer for trimming, right tool for right duty.

marko
05-13-2005, 04:30 PM
I use my weedeater now and just turn it upside down like i have for 6 years but in some places i have to go VERY slow, and i was wondering if the stick edgers with one wheel by echo, stihl, and redmax were worth what they cost. DO ther do a good job and are they easy to use. Just wondering

I would use a stick edger, that is what it's made for. You can trim with a weed eater, but it tears the grass (turns the tips brown in the summer) and as also stated, hard to keep a straight line. Don't get discouraged on asking questions on this site. The way I see it, even if your 14, 16 or whatever, at least your not sitting in front of the TV all day. You are learning a trade and hopefully some morals and good work ethics. To handle ding dongs like MM, just hit the ignore forever button rather that waste your time reading about his adding and subtracting skills by telling you how long you have been in business and how old you were when you started.

all ferris
05-13-2005, 06:43 PM
mortymower,
If you save your allowance all summer long you might be able to get a stick edger. They work much better than a trimmer.

When I was 15 I didn't even know what a stick edger was. All I had to worry about was the occasional zit and how embarsing it was having my mom drive me to the movies with a girl.

K&L Landscaping
05-13-2005, 08:07 PM
mortymower,
If you save your allowance all summer long you might be able to get a stick edger. They work much better than a trimmer.

When I was 15 I didn't even know what a stick edger was. All I had to worry about was the occasional zit and how embarsing it was having my mom drive me to the movies with a girl.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Patrick.B
05-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Dont know about you guys but i'l cant do with out my edger ..alot of my customer like a clean edge on there side walk and there driveway ..i've seen some lawn service try to put an edge with the trimmer and LQQK like crap ..It look like a snake when they done ...jeezz..,.unprofessonal...,,Edger what make the yard look a 100% better when you done with the yard unless they dont have an sidewalk or driveways ..i've been useing trimming for many years and i'm 41 year old now and still can't trim a clean cut with a trmmer,,,so ,,go figures,,,,,,,,,,

surfisher211
05-13-2005, 10:46 PM
i have a red max stick edger and i love it and its worth it to have on your trailer :waving:

BCSteel
05-14-2005, 03:00 AM
Dont blame me if you cant use a trimmer properly... your loss, not mine.

petekief
05-14-2005, 08:11 AM
god is in the details
the customer drives up his driveway
walks up his sidewalk
looks out over the lawn
it's all about perception
the lawn is checked but the edges are close and are SEEN
first thing i see are the edges
i love my edger
without it i don't feel like i could do the job i can do with it
i can't get the edge i can get with an edger with a trimmer
maybe some can - but why struggle
start it - slot it - walk - walk fast - slot ti again - walk fast some more - stop it - done

Patrick.B
05-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Ohh i'm very good with my trmmer and i'l love my trimmer ..i'm just saying edge is good for what they do best Just like a trmmer Tough Guy,,

GreenUtah
05-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Back in the Dark Ages before there were stick edgers, I would often use the trimmer instead of those awkward "walk-behind" edgers. But with the stick edgers, heck, I can practically run while I edge.

And what's so hard about changing the blade? That's one of the faster and easier things to do.

I'm with Hoolie on this. When I first began, I used a trimmer to do edges because the only thing else was a three wheel edger that would take me forever to use and handled cement curves like it was digging the grand canyon. After getting pelted in the face who knows how many times, including up the nose with small rocks while over the top of the trimmer trying to eyeball a clean line, the lawn gods finally answered my prayers and stick edgers started coming out. Over the past ten years as we started taking large apartment and condo complexes, city streetscape projects and industrial campuses with miles and miles of sidewalks, the stick edger became more valuable than even a trimmer. Even the brand new guys can edge in five minutes and with a little practice, on cool season grasses, could go as fast as they could walk out a property. We could always chemically "trim" out a property with growth regulators or even roundup along fence lines, tree wells, fire hydrants, etc., but could not skip edging in a finished look. The only thing I always wished for edging wise was a mower mount that could actually float free of the mower to stay in the groove...that would have saved us a few hundred man hours!