PDA

View Full Version : blades missing

man of stihl
05-12-2005, 09:49 PM
my lesco walk behind keeps missing a ton of dandilions s/p? i changed my blades last week and they are still decently sharp. i am mowing in 3rd gear?? its making me really mad.. it gets almost all of the grass and leaves very few straglers but misses those things :angry: any hints or anything?

Precision
05-12-2005, 10:05 PM
i changed my blades last week and they are still decently sharp.

My guess would be this is the problem or at least a big part of it.

freshly sharpened blades every 5 hours of cutting time will help ALOT. We change blades daily and seem to have no problems

BOTURF
05-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I dont care how sharp your blades are you are NOT going to cut all the dandlions .... some get pushed over by front of deck and some by wheels then when you get over them they are starting to pop back up .... the only real thing to do is double and triple cut the lawn going different ways each pass.

all ferris
05-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Your problem is that the mower deck is knocking the dandilion over and it is not standing up again when the blades go over it. My older mowers do the same thing and the best way to prevent this is kill the dandilions. My newer mower has a about 1 inch of front of the deck cut out so the blades are lower than the front lip of the deck.

RobertCT
05-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Your problem is that the mower deck is knocking the dandilion over and it is not standing up again when the blades go over it. My older mowers do the same thing and the best way to prevent this is kill the dandilions. My newer mower has a about 1 inch of front of the deck cut out so the blades are lower than the front lip of the deck.

Weed-B gone by Ortho sprayed directly on dandilions will kill only the weed and NOT the grass , but charge for the effort.

lawnwizards
05-13-2005, 01:43 AM
Weed-B gone by Ortho sprayed directly on dandilions will kill only the weed and NOT the grass , but charge for the effort.just make sure you have your license before you spray though.

PTP
05-13-2005, 09:10 AM
my lesco walk behind keeps missing a ton of dandilions s/p? i changed my blades last week and they are still decently sharp. i am mowing in 3rd gear?? its making me really mad.. it gets almost all of the grass and leaves very few straglers but misses those things :angry: any hints or anything?
I am guessing that you are mulching as well. When the deck or wheel lays the dandilion down, the mulching deck will not have enough lifiting air movement to lift it back up. If you side discharge, there should be enough "suction" to lift it up and cut it.

marko
05-13-2005, 09:14 AM
I am guessing that you are mulching as well. When the deck or wheel lays the dandilion down, the mulching deck will not have enough lifiting air movement to lift it back up. If you side discharge, there should be enough "suction" to lift it up and cut it.

I run doubles and side discharge. On the lawns that I don't do the chemicals on, I have stragglers too. Not much you can do except go over it 2 times (no way), or start selling the weed control!

ICE
05-13-2005, 01:18 PM
I had a first time customer write a note to me that the next time I cut I should see her first (before cutting). Of course I start thinking the worst. I roll up to her house, knock on the door, and say "Hey Janey, how ya doin? You wanted to talk?" She starts off by saying that she is unhappy with her yard?!?! :dizzy: :realmad: :dizzy: :angry: I start thinking to myself, Lady, you are mad!!! That yard looks B-A-UTIFUL when I got done with it last week, and the week before!!!! 48tthp running double blades (gators on the top and hi-lifts on the top) Double cutting her yard as well. Nice stripes and everything. WELL, she goes on to say that I am leaving clumps of grass. I am like "Where?" She starts pointing to spots saying "there, there, there" yada yada yada. She THEN goes on to say (and here is the kicker), "My son stopped by and pointed it out to me, and he IS a school grounds supervisor afterall. He says that your blades are probably dull and just knocking the grass over and then the next day, it just pops up to where it was before". Well, I mowed her lawn last night, and told her that I would be back today to check on it, but, MAN this just is so FREAKIN aggrivating seeing as when we walked the property about a month ago, and got her signed up, she was sooooo nice and offering to let me use her equipment!?!?! :dizzy: :angry:
This kind of stuff burns my butt! After I got done mowing, I gave the yard a decent inspection as this might make me look bad, but I just DO NOT see what the H3LL she is seeing. I guess I will have to have her SON to come over and point it out to me. The only thing that I could come up with is that there are different rates at which spots of her grass was growing. And there seems to be one of two reccomendations that I can give her. I will start cutting her lawn TWICE a week, or get your FREAKIN KID TO DO IT!!

Peace!
Tim

man of stihl
05-13-2005, 01:56 PM
i usually bag but if i dont bag i cut the first time side disharging and the second time i bag it....... :dizzy: if i slow down it seems to hjelp but some of my lawns have some many of these fockers in them i would have to mow in first gear!!! and when do these things stop growing?? thanx