PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a SCAG Tiger Cub...

Joel_Howes
05-13-2005, 12:06 AM
:help:

48" deck.

Not sure whether to get a 19 or 23 hp Kawasaki.

Want to get the clamshell bagger.

Anybody have any input?

Joel_Howes
05-13-2005, 12:09 AM
Forgot to mention...

Also thinking about an ExMark.

Would anybody recommend this brand over SCAG?

Shady Brook
05-13-2005, 12:24 AM
I would opt for the Exmark over the Scag, but then I think they raised their prices significantly. I had a 23 hp 52 Cub and it cut well. Once the hours started to mount up it started having several strange electrical mysteries. Two dealers neither of which could fully fix. It ended up costing me a couple hundred for a wireing harness. Had some carb problems as well, which I atribute to the Kaw. Motor seemed to be wearing out by 1500 hundered well maintained hours using premium oil and filters. I talked to Scag and other reps many times and no one could fix the electrical glitches. I also owned a Tiger that had some electrical problems, lots multiple hydro pumps, drive shafts, and other expensive parts. I am done with Scag riders! Is there a Hustler Rep near you? You could get a Mini for the same or less money and get a bunch more for your dollar.

Good luck

BMORRIS106
05-13-2005, 01:06 AM
i owe the tiger with 52 deck and 23 hp kaw., it cuts great and have had no problems , I would definitely opt for the 23 horse but I would look at the hustler also. The tiger seems to be built well and looks to hold up over time, but if I would buy another i would look at hustler. Sorry dont no much about exmark but have seen some on trailers around here.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-13-2005, 08:33 AM
I have the tiger cub with a 20hp kohler and I am very pleased with it. I would go with a 23hp if I was going to be using the bagger

TURF DOCTOR
05-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Scag is a top mower, always get the more hp,

Something D
05-13-2005, 08:54 AM
SCAG's are tanks. They can handle a beating.

Joel_Howes
05-13-2005, 09:48 AM
I am done with Scag riders!

Wow, that's good to know. Can I ask what year that model was purchased, so I can ask some hard-hitting questions of my dealer?

Thanks for everyone's input. I have never heard of Hustler equip. before... they aren't affiliated with Walker, are they? We rented a Walker ZT with a bagger for a day and it had issues with clogging. Whatta PITA.

It turns out there IS a Hustler distributor not TOO far from me... perhaps I'll check it out.

LexingtonKYcutter
05-13-2005, 11:24 AM
I would recommend the Exmark. Heard the new Scag Decks arent cutting as well now that they had to change them.

SeacoastDesignsL&L
05-13-2005, 01:02 PM
I just bought the tiger cub with the 19 kawi. When I was deciding what mower to buy it came down to the scag or the exmark. They are pretty equall machines it just comes down to personal opinion and dealer service. The scag dealer was alot more helpful and offered alot more help to commercial businesses if the equipment broke down. So far I have been very happy with the mower, it cuts great and has plenty off power. The 23 hp would be nice but I wasn't willing to spend and extra 2 grand.

Shady Brook
05-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Joel

My Cub was a 2002 I believe. It would be about exactly 3 years old if I currently had it. My Tiger was a 2000 I believe, which had the old style deck. I think Scag's walkbehinds, at least the belt drives are very reliable and build well. I would not dispute the fact that the riders are heavy duty because they are, I just had many problems with them. I know this... if I compare the warrenty of a Super Z or other Z rider by Hustler to the Scag, the Hustler wins every time. I also know from experience that a Super Z, or Super mini will be more manuverable and mroe productive then any similar size Scag Rider. I know that there are features on the Super Z's that are vastly superior, and more productive then any other Scag rider. I would also say that the cut quality is superior "in my opinion" for the Hustler as compared to the Scag riders. I could go on and on. I don't want to sound like I am hateful toward Scag as they have made me alot of money in the past, but when compared to Hustler they are not in the same class.

I think if you checked out a 52 Super mini you would not find anything else close to it in it's class.

Good luck and don't trust evey thing your dealer tells you. :)

K&L Landscaping
05-13-2005, 09:22 PM
How about the JD 717A? The 19hp Kawasaki engine has plenty of power for the 48" deck.

someshadelawn
05-13-2005, 09:47 PM
If you have the option get the 23 hp. I have a 2003 with 19 and the only thing that I wish is that it had more HP. The thing runs like a dream and is a great complement to the 48" Scag WB that I have. Both are excellent mowers.
The deck design on the Cub is not perfect, but if you take off that stupid "turbo baffle" it will improve it tremendously

Precision
05-13-2005, 10:20 PM
demo, Demo, DEMO. The only thing more important than demoing on your properties (for a full day) is dealer support.

Like they say, the sorrow of crummy support quickly washes away the elation of a cheap price.

I learned it the hard way with my Big Mower. The machine is great, but that doesn't do any good if I can't get warranty work done properly or in a timely manner.

Patrick.B
05-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Dont know about you guys but i'm started to see alot of Toro on the road now ..dont see to much scag around here to much ,,,,Toro and dixiechopper amd Gravely running around here,,,,...i went to the snapper dealership souple weeks ago ,,now you can buy the ZTR with one joy stick ..60' is running $7200 ..anybody have a new ZTR with joy stick ? just wonderin how they work with that joy stick ........good luck guys

bugspit
05-13-2005, 10:42 PM
I have the tiger cub with a 20hp kohler and I am very pleased with it. I would go with a 23hp if I was going to be using the bagger

Same here :rolleyes: A 48" 23hp would be a hoss :drinkup:

A 23hp would spin double blades much easier too I would think.

Cutter lawns
05-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Super mini z all the way. Try it you'll like it. I guarantee

lqmustang
05-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Got my first week in on my new Tiger Cub 23/52. No complaints. Definitely go with as much HP as your wallet will allow. I agree with Precision tho, demo each machine you are considering before dropping the cash, and ask questions to be sure the dealer you are buying from will give you the support that you need.

Steppenwolf
05-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Have a 52 " scag cub with a 23 Kaw.Nice engine,controls are fine,cut is so so,look at a yard you cut yesterday and you will see where the front wheels went and the grass is just a tad bit taller. Not very good striping,compared to a w/b. would not buy one again but we only have 432 hours on this unit so we will give it some more time to see if we are doing something wrong. Just not impressed with the unit so far.

rob1325
05-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Get the SCAG. Better built machine IMO. The clam shell bagger is just awesome, especially for fall cleanups and the adjustable baffle. I have the cub with 23 HP Kawi and it is awesome. Also have two tigers and they are also awesome. I have no problems with any of my Scags other than wear items.

n1wlc
05-14-2005, 11:50 AM
One more thing. If you decided on the tiger cub think about the 52" instead of the 48". The extra couple of inches on the trim side makes it worth it. Allows you to get in a little closer to borders...

CottonPatch
05-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Dont know about you guys but i'm started to see alot of Toro on the road now ..dont see to much scag around here to much ,,,,Toro and dixiechopper amd Gravely running around here,,,,...i went to the snapper dealership souple weeks ago ,,now you can buy the ZTR with one joy stick ..60' is running $7200 ..anybody have a new ZTR with joy stick ? just wonderin how they work with that joy stick ........good luck guys

Man you must be color blind. Baton Rouge is covered in Scag. I know for a fact the Scag dealer sold 225 Scag units in 2004 and 295 in 2003. I would have to say they have a big presence in BR. Next time you buy why don't you demo and you will see why most LCO's in BR have Scag. I usually don't respond to posts like this, but your statement is totally ridiculous.

Patrick.B
05-14-2005, 08:18 PM
CottonPatch ...No i'm not color blind But if you read my post correct .,all i said was alot of poeple around here buying Toro ,,,,wasn't talking about 2004 & 2003 ,,,,,,i like scag ZTR but also like Gravely ,,,,scag didn't have 44 in deck when i was looking That why i went with Gravely and it been a great mower in my business .Matter of face i went bough me 160 Gravely and love thsi mower too ......Great machine ......Later