PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a customer call and.....

dwc
05-13-2005, 01:13 AM
not hang up the phone when the answering machine comes on and find out what they REALLY think of you?
This happened the other day with a customer that has over time been getting worse and worse about wanting little nit picky things done for "free". All last year when I would show up weekly, he would want me to clean up some pine needles in the area of the lawn that I do not mow or mow over in the neighbor's lawn a ways because "it is really his property" or go ahead and trim the weeds down in all the flowerbeds or spend 30 minutes burring the grass down that is grown up in the cracks of his busted up driveway in the alley so it will die.....all for FREE.
Anyway, he calls and gets the machine but doesn't get the phone hung up good so I get to hear him complaining about me to his wife about how "he is just getting to **** big and doesn't care anymore" and "leave a message alright, he doesn't want to talk to me". Then he goes on to say how that I have already lost lawns because "he was just too high for them" which is really funny because the customer he is talking about was a good customer and discontinued service on good terms so her grandkid could earn a few extra dollars, and I have mowed it since then when the grandkid went back to school.
So after about 3 minutes of solid whining and bashing of me (I think he may have been drunk) the machine finally cut him off. Needless to say I called him the next day to inform him he will have a new lawn service this year. It was all I could do not to tell him I am just too big for his little ol yard. I may send him a pacifier so he will have something to keep him appeased until he finds a new sucker!

MMLawn
05-13-2005, 01:17 AM
Never ahd that but I do have a client that keeps "moving" his property stake further over in his neigbors yard and then making sure we cut there too. Before long the neighbor won't have any lawn left :laugh:

65hoss
05-13-2005, 09:22 AM
I may send him a pacifier so he will have something to keep him appeased until he finds a new sucker!
I like it. I would do that. Would be worth it.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Send him a pacifier? Really want to have a good one at his expense, send him the tape from the answering machine. Attach a note that says "I wonder if this is the only copy"? :laugh:

meathead1134
05-13-2005, 10:46 AM
I had the cops called on me at my own house when I was doing work. I was blowing out the bushes in front of my house and the leaves and crap went into the street. So I blew it across the street to the empty parking lot so the cars woulnd't take it down the street. Well 5 minuntes later the police show up at my house while I was outside. They told me that I can't blow stuff across the street and that 1 of the neighbors called the cops. :realmad: He asked me if I was going to pick that up and I looked onto my porch and the was a brand new roll of trash bags and then I looked at him. He says to me that you know that I can give you a fine for this. Then I said I was going to pick it up when I was done. him "make sure its picked up when I come by later. I was trying my hardest not to say something sarcastic :help: I was able to though. dam neighbors.

Gravely_Man
05-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Some people are never pleased. Hopefully you will get a call to fill the spot and they won't be a complainer. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man

procut
05-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Send him a pacifier? Really want to have a good one at his expense, send him the tape from the answering machine. Attach a note that says "I wonder if this is the only copy"? :laugh:
Good idea!

Tharrell
05-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Commercial customers aren't like that. I'm finding that a better mix of customers makes my day a lot nicer. Residentials are all unique. Who knows what the heck they're thinking at any given time. I went through that when I switched from commercial pest elimination to residential pest control. The commercial accounts assumed you were a professional and didn't think about telling you how to do your job. The residentials all knew more than me or had some kind of opinions about how to do a job. You have to be a special kind of a$$ kisser to make all of your residential customers happy, and that won't guarantee you anything.

dwc
05-13-2005, 10:34 PM

yeah, send the tape, a pacifier and a note. :)

I am not worried about him though, I knew I would have to fire him soon just from the way he was whining all the time. He's been replaced several times over already with better paying non-whining customers. :cool2:

dwc
05-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Commercial customers aren't like that. I'm finding that a better mix of customers makes my day a lot nicer. Residentials are all unique. Who knows what the heck they're thinking at any given time. I went through that when I switched from commercial pest elimination to residential pest control. The commercial accounts assumed you were a professional and didn't think about telling you how to do your job. The residentials all knew more than me or had some kind of opinions about how to do a job. You have to be a special kind of a$$ kisser to make all of your residential customers happy, and that won't guarantee you anything.
This is true. Homeowners always know what should be done, when it should be done, how it should be done, and just how bad you screwed it up when you get done!
Bad thing about commercial's are that you get in good with the manager or director or whoever is in charge, then a year down the road they get fired or get transferred or something and here comes the next guy/gal in line that is gonna save the company thousands of dollars in lawn care and be a HERO and you get canned. I've had this happen a few times and you want to pull your hair out knowing all the effort you put in to get the place looking good and sucking up to the right people has just been flushed down the tube.
The good thing of commercials are that there usually isn't some one walking around with a fine tooth comb looking for what you need to do different.

Its nice to have some of both I guess. Lawn mowing customers are a dime a dozen and I let other suckers take care of the whiners and non payers.