PDA

View Full Version : 34Z or 44Z

Grass Whacker
05-13-2005, 10:58 AM
I have 28 weekly lawns with the largest being .75 acres. I am currently using a toro proline 36" with a velkey which is starting to use some oil. Planned on buying a Gravely 34Z to replace my walk behind. If I had the 34Z I could get in all of my gates with one mower. If I had the 44Z I could get in about half of the back yards and use the toro and a 21" on rest. Will it be a wash on time or will the extra 10" make it worth the money. Thanks for reading. :help:

jtkplc
05-13-2005, 11:17 AM
I have 28 weekly lawns with the largest being .75 acres. I am currently using a toro proline 36" with a velkey which is starting to use some oil. Planned on buying a Gravely 34Z to replace my walk behind. If I had the 34Z I could get in all of my gates with one mower. If I had the 44Z I could get in about half of the back yards and use the toro and a 21" on rest. Will it be a wash on time or will the extra 10" make it worth the money. Thanks for reading. :help:

How big are the back yards that you would have to use the 21"? How big are the areas that you could use the 44" and would it gain you enough time to overshadow the loss of time with the 21"?

I would think using one mower would be smarter. The extra 10" isn't going to be a huge amount of time saved on smaller properties.

Remember the 34Z is dangerous on any slopes, so if you have yards with hills you might not want this mower.

Grass Whacker
05-13-2005, 11:28 AM
The back yards that I would be using the 21" are not big. Largest ~1000 sqft. No steep slopes. Some of the lawns are next to each other and I burn lots of time going back to the trailer for other equipment. Thanks for input.

Tider6972
05-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Mowing open areas, the 34 will take 4 passes to the 44' s 3; IOW, the 44 has about a 23% cutting size advantage over the 34.

The 34 is not "dangerous on any slope", not even close! The 34 will slide on a slope too steep for it, but it won't fool you into thinking it'll handle something, if it won't cross the slope you'll know quick. In fact, the PM34Z will handle 'most' anything the PM44Z will, because the tracks are very close to the same width.Tires are the 44's advantage, it has larger tires than the 34.

I've virtually eliminated 21s with the PM34Z, it's a beautiful machine for it's designed prupose, which is small areas. Great cut, sips fuel, and is fast!

Go as big as you can go. If you can put a 60 anywhere you can put that 44, get the 60 !..or a 52. But if sounds to me that the 34 will save you more time than the 44, because in the time you spend changing mowers , and having to use 21s, you'll be finished and gone with the PM34Z !

green-go
05-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Get the 44, then either repair/replace the engine on the 36, assuming the rest of the mower still has life left in it. You could get a replacement engine for the 36 for about $500, maybe less if you want to go with a lesser engine. Otherwise I'm sure there'll be times when you wish you still had a 36.

lawnman_scott
05-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Get the 34Z. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It can do a slope if your careful, not a huge long area, or around water, but its a great mower. Riding is soooooooo much easier on you that walking is. Think what aug will be like, then decide what you want to do.

Precision
05-13-2005, 06:02 PM
If you are going to buy a new mower, buy the biggest one you can justify (efficiency of use vs cost). Then either get a new engine on the 36" WB or keep running it the way it is. Using a little oil isn't the worst thing especially when you just cut its work load by 60-75%.

I went from a 36" to a 60" and couldn't be happier. My dilema was 52" or 60". I bit the bullet and went with the 60" and found that I can use it on almost all my small properties too. I have one yard that went from 25 minutes with my 36" WB to 8 minutes (gate up to gate up) with the 60" (very little trimming and edging).

Still have the walk behind 36" for back up and one drainage ditch. Recently upgraded to a Z-cat 36" ZTR for some gated back yards. Again it was time vs money and saving time won.

jtkplc
05-13-2005, 06:11 PM
The 34 is not "dangerous on any slope", not even close!

Just going by what other 34Z owners have said on this site about taking it on a slope. I've never used one to know.

twwlawn
05-14-2005, 12:03 AM
I use my 34Z on 45 out of 63 lawns. Those 45 lawns are gated with 36" gates and are flat. The wb's sit on the trailer with the bigger Z's. That 34Z has been a great asset to me and has cut down on the time cutting those lawns. I feel pretty good at the end of the day compared to running wb's with a sulky. There are a lot of posts/threads on the 34Z and from reading them last year, that made my mind up and I got one. Get one, you won't be disappointed.

willretire@40
06-13-2005, 09:20 AM
how much is the gravely 34z.

slicksilverado01
06-13-2005, 11:41 AM
I think I paid around 4K for it? or was it 3? well anyways it is between 3-5K.
I love my 34z. cut time in half in all my fenced in yards. plus I can mow more in a day without getting tired of using a push mower.

jtboney
06-13-2005, 12:24 PM
They list for $4199. Most dealers sell them for $4099. I bought mine during the dealers open house for $3999. It is a great mower.

Tider6972
06-13-2005, 12:28 PM
jtkplc, I understand how you got that impression. Your opinion, and I'm sure others' as well, came from a thread Captain Ken posted (with pictures) on the 34Z. Captn Ken and Faraway have slammed small ZTRs and the 34Z in particular.

Problems are, Faraway has never used one, and does not know.

CaptnKen's post was really about an imbecile at the controls of a mower, NOT the mower! That guy is dangerous!

The PM34Z Gravely is a great mower, designed to access big areas with small entrances or gates. It's necessarily narrow track makes it less stable on hills, of course. But it's only dangerous when operated in a dangerous manner, such as the way the nut in Captn Ken's post was doing!

Any ZTR I've been on will slide on a slope too steep for that Z to cross. Some will slide quicker than others. My Hustler SuperZ 60", for example, will mow across slopes that a LazerZ 60, a great mower, will slide right down. I've tried them both on the same slopes. Different mowers of the same deck size behave differently.

Smaller deck mowers, with their smaller track widths and tire sizes, will generally slide on slopes of less angle than larger deck/track mowers.

If you want to cut steep hills, get a Steiner, or Hustler ATZ.

If you need to pass through openings 36" or less, you'll be hard pressed to do better than a Gravely PM34Z! It cuts beautifully, is fast, fun and very well built !

lawnman_scott
06-13-2005, 11:04 PM
jtkplc, I understand how you got that impression. Your opinion, and I'm sure others' as well, came from a thread Captain Ken posted (with pictures) on the 34Z. Captn Ken and Faraway have slammed small ZTRs and the 34Z in particular.

Problems are, Faraway has never used one, and does not know.

CaptnKen's post was really about an imbecile at the controls of a mower, NOT the mower! That guy is dangerous!

The PM34Z Gravely is a great mower, designed to access big areas with small entrances or gates. It's necessarily narrow track makes it less stable on hills, of course. But it's only dangerous when operated in a dangerous manner, such as the way the nut in Captn Ken's post was doing!

Any ZTR I've been on will slide on a slope too steep for that Z to cross. Some will slide quicker than others. My Hustler SuperZ 60", for example, will mow across slopes that a LazerZ 60, a great mower, will slide right down. I've tried them both on the same slopes. Different mowers of the same deck size behave differently.

Smaller deck mowers, with their smaller track widths and tire sizes, will generally slide on slopes of less angle than larger deck/track mowers.

If you want to cut steep hills, get a Steiner, or Hustler ATZ.

If you need to pass through openings 36" or less, you'll be hard pressed to do better than a Gravely PM34Z! It cuts beautifully, is fast, fun and very well built !So what he is saying, take the advise of someone who has actually used the mower. See what negative things they say. Odd that we all think they are wonderful. Mine was about $4,000 at an open house, about $4200-4300 regularly.

SouthernYankee
06-13-2005, 11:55 PM
lawnman,

I assume that you cut a lot of st.augstine with your 34z, Do you have a mulching kit or do you side discharge? I plan on getting a 34z and I was wondering if I need the mulching kit since I will solely be cutting st.augstine in Houston. thanks
SY

Roll Tide!!

lawnman_scott
06-16-2005, 10:50 PM
lawnman,

I assume that you cut a lot of st.augstine with your 34z, Do you have a mulching kit or do you side discharge? I plan on getting a 34z and I was wondering if I need the mulching kit since I will solely be cutting st.augstine in Houston. thanks
SY

Roll Tide!!
we dont have a mulch kit. Just side discharge. No problems with clumping.