PDA

View Full Version : how does a bed edger work?

contourbs
05-13-2005, 02:30 PM
i have a job that needs the bed redone, the grass is growing into the beds with mulch bad. there is no border seperating the mulch to grass so its growing in. i know everyone says get a bed edger, but whats the difference from a bed edger and using my stick edger?

lwcmattlifter
05-13-2005, 02:42 PM
A bed edger uses a cutting head that cuts a deep trench that tapers off into the bed. Check out the Brown web page (http://www.brownmfgcorp.com/bededger/index.html) some of the pics show the edge it leaves. A stick edger can't even get close to making a cut like a bed edger will.

MTR
05-13-2005, 03:03 PM
The bed edger machine is cool but to load and unload another wheeled machine...I don't think so. Practice with your stihl stick edger, a lot faster, in and out of those less than 5 min. You edge every week, it has its groove for you to follow and very easy. Practice, practice.
Most of million dollar estates never complain about using stick edger doing their beds but complimenting, so use whatever works best for you. It is all about practice and bottomline profit.

slapshotmike24
05-13-2005, 04:32 PM
There is no comparison between a bed edger and a stick edger. There is no way a stick edger can leave an edge like a real bed edger. To put on a thick enough layer of mulch, you have to either use a bed edger or use the stick edger in conjuction with hand edging. For mulch to lay into the bed properly and leave the defined look, you need to have atleast a 2" - 3" deep edge along the bed. if not, the mulch will just spill onto the grass. After using a bed edger, I will never go back to hand edging. I bought my Brown bed edger slightly used and it has already payed it self off. It is really a time saver. :cool2:

Dashunde
05-13-2005, 07:41 PM
..that someone with patience, practice, and some testing, could make a oddly shaped blade & shroud for a stick edger that would certainly be cost-effective compared a regular bededger.

They make those little trimmer-motored tillers, why not something inexpensive, light and quick for the bed work?

lwcmattlifter
05-13-2005, 08:35 PM
That would be cool but I don't think a stick edger has enough power to spin a bed rotor. If you get one to work let me know because it would be great to use in real tight spots.

YardPro
05-14-2005, 08:18 AM
The bed edger machine is cool but to load and unload another wheeled machine...I don't think so. Practice with your stihl stick edger, a lot faster, in and out of those less than 5 min. You edge every week, it has its groove for you to follow and very easy. Practice, practice.
Most of million dollar estates never complain about using stick edger doing their beds but complimenting, so use whatever works best for you. It is all about practice and bottomline profit.

evidently you have never used one... there is NO comparison between a stick edger and a bed edger.... also you don't have to use a bed edger EVERY trip... you only use it once per year, THEN maintain the edge with a stick edger the rest of the year....

YardPro
05-14-2005, 08:20 AM
..that someone with patience, practice, and some testing, could make a oddly shaped blade & shroud for a stick edger that would certainly be cost-effective compared a regular bededger.

They make those little trimmer-motored tillers, why not something inexpensive, light and quick for the bed work?

ever bee the bed rotor???????
the thing weighs about 5 pounds and has a bunch of gnarly carbide teeth.

a 5 hp motor struggles with it at times.. also you need the large shield for the debris it cuts out....

cmorris
05-14-2005, 10:39 PM
how much does the bed edger cost, I agree that a stick edger does not get the job done. I am tired of making the line with the stick edger and then digging along it with a shovel.

MTR
05-15-2005, 04:05 AM
evidently you have never used one... there is NO comparison between a stick edger and a bed edger.... also you don't have to use a bed edger EVERY trip... you only use it once per year, THEN maintain the edge with a stick edger the rest of the year....

Once per year? I know I never use it but I don't need them and nobody here in central Florida uses them either...we use what we feel best for us in term of costeffective and profit instead of buying one machine using once a year per yard. Thank you.