PDA

View Full Version : aereating in the rain

adam5557
05-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Hey guys i am going to rent a aereator because i ahve 4 aereating jobs i need to get done.If it is raining will that affect the quality of my job?tthanks

marko
05-13-2005, 04:39 PM
As long as it is only damp and not sloppy. It will actually make it easier to pull the plugs

rodfather
05-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Too much rain and you will have a muddy mess for sure.

jajwrigh
05-13-2005, 07:16 PM
I agree with rodfather...I imagine it could be a real headache in the mud...

JarrodsDad
06-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Bring your rubber boots! :) :) :)

sildoc
06-11-2005, 10:56 PM
I will aerate just about any time. I prefer nice just mowed turf that was watered the night before but I will aerate in the rain in a heart beat. Now if it is pouring and I am rutting that is where I draw the line. No ruts roll on. It is definitly a mess though on the wheels of aerator and your shoes.

sheshovel
06-13-2005, 03:36 AM
Any work on turf in the rain and in wet conditions damages the turf.You will be compacting the soil as you aerate it,you will make a muddy mess and it wont do the lawn a whole lotta good cuz your plug holes will fill up with surrounding soil and it's just not good lawncare .

easycareacres
06-13-2005, 03:41 AM
yep good time to do it after a rain but if while rain can be good if hard surface soft.

Simmo's Total Turf
06-17-2005, 04:57 AM
Don't do it mate. it will change the profile of the soil, thus creating more problems. i agree that hte soil should be moist, just b careful

sildoc
06-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Don't do it mate. it will change the profile of the soil, thus creating more problems. i agree that hte soil should be moist, just b careful
Not sure what you are meaning profile of soil? There is no differance from aerating on a sunny day and then turning on the sprinklers as oposed to aerating in the rain.
If you mean profile in that you are taking a solid surface and pulling thousand of little cores? That is what aeration is.
We aren't talking about a drenched piece of turf where you are leaving ruts every where. Just rain.

GreenUtah
06-17-2005, 12:04 PM
listen to the guy in Oregon! he's likely a rain expert..lol..the idea of aerating IS to change the soil profile, to take a hard nasty compacted piece of(likely) clay and open it to water, air and nutrient penetration. Soil will not backfill the holes if you are not aerating a flat out dirt patch(and if you are, a tiller works better than an aerator..lol). Why not in the rain, stepping on the wet cores will lead to six inches of mud building up on your shoes, making them weigh 40 lbs apiece but you'll get the deepest cores possible, which is the reason you're doing it in the first place.

sheshovel
06-17-2005, 02:55 PM
He said raining,not rained yesterday or rained two days ago but raining.not only what I said above but I never like getting a machine engine hot,then allowing cold water to get onto it as would happen if aereateing or tilling in the rain.Especialy if it's a rental .

sildoc
06-17-2005, 05:03 PM
He said raining,not rained yesterday or rained two days ago but raining.not only what I said above but I never like getting a machine engine hot,then allowing cold water to get onto it as would happen if aereateing or tilling in the rain.Especialy if it's a rental .
Boy I wish I had the california weather. IN the spring it rains and If I waited till it stoped there would be at least 2-3 months shot each year. No way work when you can. Yes I work in the rain, Mow, Aerate, and everything else. Now a downpore is different. If I can last 15 minutes with out being soaked it is workable weather.