PDA

View Full Version : Solution to replace H2B employees..

dhess
05-13-2005, 06:18 PM
say hello to Bob our newest employee.

[scroll down]

http://www.hesslawns.com/data/graphics/lawnsite/robomow_01.jpg

look how he cuts perfectly with the property line!

http://www.hesslawns.com/data/graphics/lawnsite/robomow_02.jpg

and he's real good about keeping straight lines!

http://www.hesslawns.com/data/graphics/lawnsite/robomow_03.jpg

we figure we'll get about 100 of these and just drop them off during the course of the day...and pick them up at 5:00.

all kidding aside we were cutting a few houses down from this yard and we had to stop and show the guys their new *replacement*...

now if they can just get one that edges, trims, and picks up the poop...I'm sold!

HOOLIE
05-13-2005, 06:27 PM
One of my customers has that very same mower...it's broken and he's to lazy to fix it. Been 3 years now. I've seen another one in action, and to be honest, they cut like absolute crap. You would have to run that thing 24/7 to keep the grass looking good, I don't know what the horsepower is on one of those, but it's gotta be miniscule.

Of course, no doubt one day they will improve on these...

gogetter
05-14-2005, 12:51 AM
dhess, can't tell too well from the pics, what was the cut like?

I haven't actually seen one of these in action on a lawn yet. Which kinda surprises me since they have been around for a while now and are all over eBay.

out4now
05-14-2005, 01:06 AM
Growing up my Dad told me about an engineer he knew that hated missing football on the weekend so this is what he did. He made his lawn area circular and had a removeable pole put in the middle. He measured out exactly enough gas so his self propelled mower would, when tied to the pole, work like a teather ball and mow inward to run out of gas just after making its last pass. I never saw the set up but he had told me about it. I still laugh to this day thinking about it. There actaully has been someone lazier than me in the world, lol.

dhess
05-16-2005, 05:11 PM
dhess, can't tell too well from the pics, what was the cut like?

I haven't actually seen one of these in action on a lawn yet. Which kinda surprises me since they have been around for a while now and are all over eBay.

the yard didn't actually look that bad, but I was in hurry so I wasn't really paying much attention. From the first pic you can see the neighbors compared to the yard it was cutting in.

I'm sure the little rover will probably get all hung up in leaves, wet, or tall grass of course but was a good laugh to see.

Also, I wonder how well protected the little varmint is if it rains or the sprinkler system comes on...or better yet if it has some built in alarm in case some passer by decides to adopt your little baby and put him in his truck and drive off.

Or worse yet if a disgruntled lawn service drives by and kicks it over ;) I doubt it wobbles back upright like a weeble wobble!

What they need to do is put some sort of costume on it. Make it look like a little cow, or elephant or something. That would sell like hotcakes!

Blk94fiveOh
05-16-2005, 05:19 PM
One of my old neighbors had one of those, and the cut on it was TERRIBLE. We have nothing to worry about.

tallrick
04-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Growing up my Dad told me about an engineer he knew that hated missing football on the weekend so this is what he did. He made his lawn area circular and had a removeable pole put in the middle. He measured out exactly enough gas so his self propelled mower would, when tied to the pole, work like a teather ball and mow inward to run out of gas just after making its last pass. I never saw the set up but he had told me about it. I still laugh to this day thinking about it. There actaully has been someone lazier than me in the world, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKEc-SydTbQ

I saw this done when I was a kid and was totally impressed. My experiments were a lot more insane which involved me converting a snapper push mower to remote control and then autonomous using buried wires and directional antennas. Now I am thinking of converting an old Scag zero turn into a robotic mower. Of course these are only for home use! Imagine a world without foreign import labor....would be awesome!