PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS 80 trimmers, "Bad Vibes!"

DeWitt Lawncare
05-13-2005, 07:41 PM
I've got a pair of Stihl trimmers that really do a great job, but after cutting for 12 hours yesterday the vibration really started to bother my hands. Last night, all of my knuckles were very swollen. Is there anything I can do to deaden the vibration at all?

Are stihl known for bad vibration? Are other brands better?

Thanks,

Carl

all ferris
05-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Go get a Redmax.

The mayor
05-13-2005, 07:56 PM
I have the same model. I wear motocross gloves. THey are cheap, and breathe well.

mhunt
05-13-2005, 08:39 PM
i think that the prolonged use of any trimmer will do this. i've got a fs-80 and to me, the vibration is no different than any other high quality trimmer i've used....you're holding the entire cutting system in your hands, the engine and all, vibration is going to be a factor, thick, padded gloves should help.

scarr133
05-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Same here. I run 2 stihl FS-80's and a Shindaiwa T231 and they all vibrate about the same. Gloves should help, but with running them for as long as you are, you have to expect some hand pain and shaking. Make your laborers do the weedeating. That's what you pay them for!

mtdman
05-13-2005, 09:25 PM
The way I solved this problem was to get an employee. Using the weed wacker, of any kind, will cause carpal tunnel problems down the line. Do less trimming.

Food for thought:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=457654#post457654

DeWitt Lawncare
05-13-2005, 10:08 PM
My employee was gone. HATS OFF TO THE SOLOS!!! You can't beat watching someone else run the trimmer. Even though most employees don't do near the job that the owner does.

Creative Lawn Care
05-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Doing just about anything with your hands for 12 hours will cause some pain

Littleriver1
05-13-2005, 10:56 PM
The true meaning of all the responses is, you need to build up your arm strength. This reminds me of a funny story. When I worked for 7-11, an 18 year old computer geek worked with us part time. I sent him out on the drive way to sweep up cig. butts and pop tabs. I saw right away he was left handed and was have a hard time using a full size broom and a dust pan, but it was fun to watch. After 2 hours he comes in and works anround the store. About a half an hour later he comes and asked me, What does it mean when your left arm hurts. I told him it means your going to have a heart atach and die. He runs to the phone and calls his mom who lives down the street and she comes and rushes him to the ER. I told him I would call 911 if he wanted.

DeWitt Lawncare
05-13-2005, 11:14 PM
The true meaning of all the responses is, you need to build up your arm strength. This reminds me of a funny story. When I worked for 7-11, an 18 year old computer geek worked with us part time. I sent him out on the drive way to sweep up cig. butts and pop tabs. I saw right away he was left handed and was have a hard time using a full size broom and a dust pan, but it was fun to watch. After 2 hours he comes in and works anround the store. About a half an hour later he comes and asked me, What does it mean when your left arm hurts. I told him it means your going to have a heart atach and die. He runs to the phone and calls his mom who lives down the street and she comes and rushes him to the ER. I told him I would call 911 if he wanted.

I'm pretty sure I could run a 4 pountd trimmer more than 24 hours if it was just strength. My complaint was about the vibration. Ya think my arms would get used to the vibes?? I don't know about that. Maybe, but I really hope I don't have to worry about it. Like the other guys said, I'd rather listen to my help complain about their hands hurtin'.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
05-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Its All in the gloves

scarr133
05-13-2005, 11:58 PM
When you're running the show, the only thing I can say is "It's good to be the KING!" Make your pesants do the crappy jobs, unless they want to start paying for your equipment!

mtdman
05-14-2005, 12:21 AM
It has nothing to do with arm strength. The tendons in your fingers all connect to your arm through one little tunnel in your wrist, called the carpal tunnel. Overuse and vibration from repetitive motion and vibration will cause that tunnel to swell, cutting off feeling in your fingers. Anyone who has ever woken up in the middle of the night with their hands burning from the swelling can tell you about the pain. Gripping that trimmer all day, swinging it back and forth, grabbing pistol grips, all that contributes. It has nothing to do with your muscles. If that swelling gets bad enough, you'll have permanent problems. It's a very real problem and something that many professionals have. Taking care of the problem before it gets bad is the key.

I bought a pair of MPact gloves last year that supposedly cushioned the vibration. Biggest waste of money ever. Those gloves were worthless. Keeping your wrists straight at night, doing proper stretching, limiting the repetitive usage, keeping the swelling down. Those are the keys.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
05-14-2005, 12:48 AM
M-Pact II gloves for me,Oh what a difference

bart may
05-14-2005, 12:59 AM
I have those same trimmers and have noticed that when the head begins to wear the vibration increases. Try replacing the plate that covers the bump part first. I eventually had to replace the head on an old one and the vibration was gone. Do you have lots of hours on these trimmers?

KINGjosh
05-14-2005, 01:15 AM
I have the solution.

My first wipper was a FS-80, They suck plain and simple. The reason they vibrate so bad, is because they have a drive cable. And they dont have padding on the trigger handle.

I highly recomend you getting an Echo rm 260s, with the Tornado Engine. I love that machine. I am solo so I know, trust me

ADLAWNCUTTERS
05-14-2005, 01:58 AM
I Guess I'll Have To Switch Hands :)

Smalltimer1
05-14-2005, 02:07 AM
Go get a Redmax.

Very intellgent comment--that would actually make his hands worse. :rolleyes:

Gloves should help you out. My FS-80 does great, and when I wear gloves my arms hardly notice that I'm running a trimmer. When I don't wear gloves though I get some pretty good calluses on my hands.

SteveInMD
05-14-2005, 03:38 AM
I changed out my trimmer head a few days ago. The new head cut the vibration way down. With the new head and anti-vibration gloves I'm good to go.

Precision
05-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Could also be that you are running too much string out or somehow getting uneven amounts of string out.

If you run with no guard you may want to try decreasing the amount of string by one bump. If the machine bogs when unloaded you have 2 bumps too many. If it runs fine with no load, but immediately starts vibrating when you hit grass, you have one bump too many out. Bad for you and bad for the machine.

And yes, with 12 hours of line trimming, your arms are going to hurt no matter what brand.

Charles
05-14-2005, 10:03 AM
One thing you have to do it be careful brushing your teethe if you weedwhack all day lol
After doing this so long I dont have any problems other than that. I could get carpal tunnel syndrome at anytime though. So far so good-- knock on wood

DeWitt Lawncare
05-14-2005, 11:16 AM
I have those same trimmers and have noticed that when the head begins to wear the vibration increases. Try replacing the plate that covers the bump part first. I eventually had to replace the head on an old one and the vibration was gone. Do you have lots of hours on these trimmers?

One is new and I must say that it has a lot less vibes than the one that's a couple years old. I'll try your advice thanks.

gatormowing
05-15-2005, 11:37 AM
A couple of weeks ago, i noticed my year and a half old FS-80 was starting to vibrate more. I have a couple of stops that have alot of trimming and my right arm started to get a numb feeling towards the end. I stopped by my dealer the other morning and picked up a new FS-100. No vibration,much quiter and lots of power.

slicksilverado01
05-15-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I could run a 4 pountd trimmer more than 24 hours if it was just strength. My complaint was about the vibration. Ya think my arms would get used to the vibes?? I don't know about that. Maybe, but I really hope I don't have to worry about it. Like the other guys said, I'd rather listen to my help complain about their hands hurtin'.

actually the fs80 weighs 4.9kg which is 10.8lbs and holding that for 12 hours would cause about anyone a little pain unless that is what they do every day ;)

Bryan Wilson
05-16-2005, 11:44 AM
check the clutch housing bearing. I had the same vibration. Had the problem when the unit was new. After 10 months the bearing needed replacing under warranty.
I always wear ropers gloves, helps with fatigue.