PDA

View Full Version : My Dear Wife!

oldturf
05-13-2005, 08:46 PM
A little back ground before I admit to this story. I have had 2 heart attacks in the last year and it slowed me down for a while, all better and doing very well so far. BUT, I did not get my h2bs taken care of and do not have my regular crews, in fact I am having a devil of a time getting good people.
I have just enough to run crews to keep commercial accounts, had to give residential accounts up.
Now, in all this my own yard has suffered and my wife is not happy. So I came home today and found a quote from another lawn service that my wife has gotten.She is threatening to sign a year contract.
In the morning I will leave 2 crew members at my home and have them catch up with us when they finish with my most important customer.
I got a laugh out of this and thought that I would share it with you guys, even if it is a little embarrassing.
I don't know what the guy thought with quite a bit of my equipment visible but he left a quote.

lawnman_scott
05-13-2005, 08:48 PM
My wife has threatened to do that to me also. If its a good price...........

proenterprises
05-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Isint it ironic that our yards are the last to be done!

tjgray
05-13-2005, 09:00 PM
I am on Donald all of the time about how embarrassing it is for our lawn and beds to look so horrible....our lawn caught a fungus *I thought he was preventing that* and it is barely now recovering and there is weeds all in my beds.... :rolleyes:

He just shakes his head and tells me he is glad I am not one of his customers..

Itsgottobegreen
05-14-2005, 02:30 AM
I don't even remember when the last time I cut my yard this year. I am not kidding. Its needs it. I didn't fert last year so I wouldn't have to mow it.

Richard Martin
05-14-2005, 05:16 AM
My lawn is high visability and is a showcase of my work. I get a lot of compliments from my neighbors, customers and even the people who used to own the house (21 years ago) ocassionally drive by and wonder why they ever sold it.

Mine is the last yard to get cut every week. It also proves that cross-contamination is a myth.

Eddie B
05-14-2005, 06:27 AM

I make my sister do it. After a day of mowing I could care less about our lawn.

Turfdude
05-14-2005, 08:33 AM
I have my home scheduled in the computer as a client account. My crews mow my lawn when they're in the neighbrhood (we mow 2 of my neighbors and fert 6 besides mine anyway). I have 0 lawn equipment at my home and prefer it this way.

rodfather
05-14-2005, 08:58 AM
I have my home scheduled in the computer as a client account. My crews mow my lawn when they're in the neighbrhood (we mow 2 of my neighbors and fert 6 besides mine anyway). I have 0 lawn equipment at my home and prefer it this way.

Exactly why I now live in a town house...my last home and yard was 10.2 acres of grass. Never again.

Mark McC
05-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Exactly why I now live in a town house...my last home and yard was 10.2 acres of grass. Never again.

Ann and I have already decided that our next home will not have a lawn. Enough already! ;)

Turfdude
05-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Yeah, but Rod, my place is about 2800 sq. ft. of turf total!

SodKing
05-15-2005, 07:09 PM
My lawn is a showcase as well. I enjoy working on my lawn. I even have a natural golf green in the back. I mow the green almost daily and the rest of the lawn every thrid day. (I only work in the chemical and landsape side of my company and have employees for the maintenance side. So I don't mow client lawns which is why I probably like to care for my lawn so much.)

Toy2
05-15-2005, 07:36 PM
I just add mine to a certain day of the week and pretend I am mowing a customer...yes pretend......it makes it easier!!! :D

Lux Lawn
05-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Sounds like my wife...every time she see's a couple of weeds in the beds she threatens to find a new landscaper.I do my lawn every Monday when I do the neighbors but it got skipped one week early this year because of a late snow storm.So a couple of days later a friend of mine bought a new riding mower and stopped by with it and cut my lawn for me.My wife said "thanks for finally cutting the grass"..."I said that Dan stopped over with his new mower and did it"and her reply was well maybe I should just hire him.

pcnservices
05-15-2005, 10:25 PM
"The Shoemaker's kids never had shoes to wear".
That is so true! I do all the trimming and grooming of all my acccounts while my wife sits on the mower and mow.
BUT - my own lawn is MY pride and joy and it's my responsibility. I mow my own lawn - period! It's not only relaxing but I enjoy doing it while my wife schratches around in the flowerbeds and do all the landscaping and stuff. We just finished installing a nice fish pond in our garden.
I don't advertise. My lawn and garden is my refferal.
PC

Runner
05-15-2005, 10:27 PM
I have an acre and a half, and then our rental next door (actually two houses down, but connected toward the back - a half acre lot with house sits between us, and our lots are about twice as deep). The rental is is about 2 acres, and there is another 2 acres of fenced pasture that gets mowed every couple of weeks. I can get a nephew or niece to come over and mow the pasture with the tractor, though. It's well worth it. Anyway, it is often that the mowing gets behind.

meets1
05-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Our house is in line with our regular accounts. When we purchased our house, it did not look the greatest. Now after 5 yrs, landscape, yard, etc look great. I was kinda shocked today in fact visiting with some folks that said boy - when we drove past your place a few years ago and you told us you were in the lawn care business, I didn't think much about your professionalism being your yard looked terrible, but now, I can see that your in the business cuz it is always groommed. That hit home today!

I place our house on the shcedule cuz we have 8 accounts in 1 block. Park the truck and let the boys work for a few hours. Works great, everyone is mowed and I don't look like a dead beat with 6 inch grass while everyone else was mowed on a thursday.