PDA

View Full Version : dealer says toro owns exmark

whiteclifflawn
05-13-2005, 09:30 PM
I have neever hear this and think he is telling me that just to make me think that exmarks are the same basic thing as toros, be I just have never hear of anything linking the two.

Tharrell
05-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I do believe he's correct.

whiteclifflawn
05-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I have just never heard of that, I thought they were seperate companys, maybe he is right. If so, which is the better machine exmark or toro, I am new to the high end home market, I have always just used scags and done larger commercial, and larger home's, I am now finding alot better money in the more detailed high end homes.

stumper1620
05-13-2005, 09:44 PM
I have just never heard of that, I thought they were seperate companys, maybe he is right. If so, which is the better machine exmark or toro, I am new to the high end home market, I have always just used scags and done larger commercial, and larger home's, I am now finding alot better money in the more detailed high end homes.
exmark makes the toro, same machine, I don't know if they own exmark or just have a large stake in the company, I know exmark was struggling a little and toro needed a better z so it only made sense to bail out exxmark and rebadge with the toro name.

General Grounds
05-13-2005, 09:50 PM
:blob3: Toro, does own exmark, just got new belts for my exmark and the were toro part #'s. been about 3 years now

stryper
05-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Here you go:
Toro Brands (http://www.thetorocompany.com/companyinfo/brands.html)

Grass Masters
05-14-2005, 12:42 AM
BOth come off the same assembly line just diffrent stickers put on the mowers

out4now
05-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Yep. Both essentailly the same.

extoro
05-14-2005, 01:10 AM
BOth come off the same assembly line just diffrent stickers put on the mowers

Not all the way true. While they are basically the same machine, spindals & blades are not interchangeable.

Grass Masters
05-14-2005, 01:29 AM
It is true I have been to the plant and seen with my own eyes where they are built and both mowers come off the same assembly line

They may build 50 of one then 50 of the other but you get the point lol

AlbeLawn
05-14-2005, 02:19 AM
I have personally talked to the toro distributor of st. louis and they are owned by toro. the kicker is that Toro is the better mower no matter what people say. this is not me talking it is the distributor. They bought out exmark just like they buy out any company that is doing better then they are, mainly in there irrigation company's. Just look at how many brands they own. back to the mowers, when you look at the mowers the frames and the parts they use are different and toro has the better parts. Yes it is hard to believe but it is fact. i have always thought od exmark as the better mower but it is not true. The two company's are almost completely separate but they are owned by toro. so they are essential different mowers, made in different factories, and also separated in sales so think whatever you want but they are developed by the same people.

Richard Martin
05-14-2005, 04:03 AM
, when you look at the mowers the frames and the parts they use are different and toro has the better parts. Yes it isI have personally talked to the toro distributor of st. louis and they are owned by toro. the kicker is that Toro is the better mower no matter what people say. this is not me talking it is the distributor. The two company's are almost completely separate but they are owned by toro. so they are essential different mowers, made in different factories, and also separated in sales so think whatever you want but they are developed by the same people.

Like Grass Master said, they are the same mower except for the T-bar walkbehinds controls of the Toro and the gas tanks, seats and decks on the riders. The pistol grip walkbehinds are vitually identical and all of the parts are interchangable. If you need a Toro part you can get it at an Exmark dealer and visa-versa. You may ocassionally find parts that are different, like the current Exmark walkbehind spindles that are new and "improved", but they will before long find their way onto Toro mowers.

Eddie B
05-14-2005, 05:31 AM
Its funny, I was at my dealer today for parts and noticed the 21" mowers... the Toros and LawnBoys were identical, and Gravely and Ariens were as well. I guess they make more money with different names? interesting stuff.

David Grass
05-14-2005, 06:55 AM
Toro attempted to buy Walker by offering Mr. Walker a gillion dollars, but Walker didnt sell.

Oldtimer
05-14-2005, 07:59 AM
The Toro Company purchased eXmark because they needed to either get into the Landscape Contractor market or just sell consumer mowers because they hadn't had an original idea in 20 years. Toro Irrigation and Heavy Turf divisions were doing well but all they had for the LCO was the T-Bar midsize and the 724Z. A lot of larger LCO's were using Groundsmasters and We were a stocking dealer for them. This product mix was not enough to support a LCO division, or as toro called it, the LCE division.

When eXmark introduced the Lazer it quickly became the dominant Z mower sales leader. Toro had already purchased Lawn Boy and Wheel Horse and just about destroyed the brand identity and popularity of these fine products. There was some rethinking about how to acquire an existing company and allow it to thrive. The eXmark and Toro cultures are very different and Toro has allowed eXmark to move ahead almost like it was an independent company. There are Toro reps out there who tell customers that eXmark will go away and there will be only Toro mowers but that just won't ever happen. I have heard that the eXmark to Toro ratio is 80:20 and based on sales in our area that is just about right.

lawnchopper
05-14-2005, 03:29 PM
I reapeatedly heard that they are identical except the deck and spindals are different

Pro-Scapes
05-14-2005, 06:53 PM
According to my dealer and seeing a sawed off cross section of frame the toro frame is alot thicker than the exmarks. I like the massive cast iron spindle assembly in the toro deck and if you watch the videos at the toro site they put a solid 1 inch bar into the blades at full throttle and it just bent the bar. Also look good at the turboforce deck against the exmark. from what i found locally prices are about the same and maybe even a few bucks cheaper than the exmark.

I love the beef that the front of the toro deck has. Thats why its going to be our new Z as soon as we can sell ours off.

beransfixitinc
05-14-2005, 07:44 PM
According to my dealer and seeing a sawed off cross section of frame the toro frame is alot thicker than the exmarks. I like the massive cast iron spindle assembly in the toro deck and if you watch the videos at the toro site they put a solid 1 inch bar into the blades at full throttle and it just bent the bar.

I have a video of the Exmark one, but it's almost 4MB in size, and do not think I cannot seem to find on the exmark site where it is.. but it is in the dealer area.

Guess PM or something and I can try to email it to you.

GrassBustersLawn
05-14-2005, 08:32 PM
I've been using Exmark blades on my Toro 44" ztr for years. The Toro "Atomic" blades are an Atomic Pile of CRAP!

Toro was getting SCORCHED in the commercial ztr market so they bought Exmark...Can't Beat'em then Buy'em. Seems to have worked. They (TORO) were then also able to steal some of the Exmark stuff that made them better then TORO, like the DECK. The Toro STS deck just plain SUCKS next to the Exmark deck.

Mike

Watkinslawnservice
05-14-2005, 08:44 PM
The Toro Company purchased eXmark because they needed to either get into the Landscape Contractor market or just sell consumer mowers because they hadn't had an original idea in 20 years. Toro Irrigation and Heavy Turf divisions were doing well but all they had for the LCO was the T-Bar midsize and the 724Z. A lot of larger LCO's were using Groundsmasters and We were a stocking dealer for them. This product mix was not enough to support a LCO division, or as toro called it, the LCE division.

When eXmark introduced the Lazer it quickly became the dominant Z mower sales leader. Toro had already purchased Lawn Boy and Wheel Horse and just about destroyed the brand identity and popularity of these fine products. There was some rethinking about how to acquire an existing company and allow it to thrive. The eXmark and Toro cultures are very different and Toro has allowed eXmark to move ahead almost like it was an independent company. There are Toro reps out there who tell customers that eXmark will go away and there will be only Toro mowers but that just won't ever happen. I have heard that the eXmark to Toro ratio is 80:20 and based on sales in our area that is just about right.
I live in Minnesota where Toro is based and I have a sister that worked for the corporate office for 25 yrs. She just quit a year ago and she has a business partner who is still at toro and I can assure you that it is just like oldtimer says. They are still totally different companies just owned by 1 parent company. Now thats not to say that they are not sharing ideas and parts because I am sure that they are but whoever says that they are the same thing only with a different sticker on them is mistaken. This guy who works at the Toro home office tells me that the exmark has a superior deck on the ztrs. In fact I have a dealer near me that sells and services commercial exmark, they sell and service home-owner Toro but can not sell or service commercial Toro.

Oldtimer
05-14-2005, 08:57 PM
We sell a lot of 44, 52 & 60" eXmark decks to replace Toro decks. They hang exactly the same and only the experienced eye can tell the difference.

A dealer is really clutching as straws when he has to show a cross section of the deck carrier frame when eXmark hasn't broken one since the original batch were built. I made a lot more money rebuilding Toro tapered bearing spindles and selling grease than I will ever make on eXmark's sealed bearings.

Oldtimer

65hoss
05-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Toro bought eXmark in 1997. They operate as competing companies. Several of the mowers for Toro come off the eXmark assembly line. Some are close to the same, some are a little more different.

Fareway Lawncare
05-15-2005, 12:20 AM
Toro Floating Deck Hydro Walks are Pure Toro and Pure Garbage.....eXmark Floating Deck Walks are All eXmark and Much Much Better.... Toro fiXed Deck Walks are eXmark's Rebadged w/T-Bars..The Pistol Units are Identical.

Metro/Proline 21"'s are Pure Toro and eXcellent Units...Everything Good about Toro w/the eXception on the 21"'s & the New Turbo Force Deck which is eXmark Ultra Cut Influenced Comes From eXmark Engineering and Design.

clc2003
05-15-2005, 01:36 AM
I live in Minnesota where Toro is based and I have a sister that worked for the corporate office for 25 yrs. She just quit a year ago and she has a business partner who is still at toro and I can assure you that it is just like oldtimer says. They are still totally different companies just owned by 1 parent company. Now thats not to say that they are not sharing ideas and parts because I am sure that they are but whoever says that they are the same thing only with a different sticker on them is mistaken. This guy who works at the Toro home office tells me that the exmark has a superior deck on the ztrs. In fact I have a dealer near me that sells and services commercial exmark, they sell and service home-owner Toro but can not sell or service commercial Toro.

I don't understand what ur point is about that dealer near u. One of my nearest dealers sells and services both toro and exmark commercial and residential.

Watkinslawnservice
05-15-2005, 10:47 PM
I don't understand what ur point is about that dealer near u. One of my nearest dealers sells and services both toro and exmark commercial and residential.
I was making the point that they are seperate companies. If they were one in the same then I would think that any dealer that sells and services one would also have the other, thats all.

topsites
05-15-2005, 11:05 PM
I've been using Exmark blades on my Toro 44" ztr for years. The Toro "Atomic" blades are an Atomic Pile of CRAP!

Toro was getting SCORCHED in the commercial ztr market so they bought Exmark...Can't Beat'em then Buy'em. Seems to have worked. They (TORO) were then also able to steal some of the Exmark stuff that made them better then TORO, like the DECK. The Toro STS deck just plain SUCKS next to the Exmark deck.

Mike

Yes the toro special blades SUCK, I use the standards.

Far as which is better?
Think T-bar.

Tonyr
05-16-2005, 01:07 AM
Gotta love the ole Toro against Exmark threads! lol.

As I understand it...Toro owns Exmark, not runs it, 2 seperate companies...

OK...now for those who love to bash Toro for whatever reason....the Exmark deck is a combination of 10 guage and 7 guage steel, their spindle housings are not like Toro's, no Z stand, take a close look at the frame construction...say, the front end...see where the reinforcing areas are....Exmark front ends are very different upon close observation to a Toro.

Now, I'm talking about current models here, 60'' decks, turbo force against ultracut....the discharge on the exmark is smaller, different baffling, different deck shape and design totally.

There is some sharing of resourses no doubt, the rear of a toro looks like the rear of an exmark...

I was only at the dealer again a couple of hours ago going over this with a guy, so I saw these differences only this morning with my own eyes again.

There are lots of 'theories' about these machines, and people just love dumping on toro, comes down to personal choice, if ya like toro, get one, if ya like exmark, get one, both are great mowers and major companies, some of the 'facts' I've read in this thread are humourous, best to check things personally before attack...

I have a 15 month old toro, comparing the exmark to toro thang...personally each has good and weak points, combining the best points from each and building a machine would find you having something awesome!

Of course some of you who I dissagree with could be right of course, maybe they make models just for us aussies lol. just kidding!