PDA

View Full Version : Property Edging

LawnBoy89
05-13-2005, 09:41 PM
I have a question for you guys. When you edge the lawn on the sidewalk/driveway do most of you guys use your trimmers, or do you use an actual edger. I have a craftsman (yea I know) edger but even though its brand new it's hard to get started sometimes and also some of the lawns are so grown over onto the sidewalk I can't even edge it properly with it. I use the trimmer and just make the edge straight instead of actually leaving a gap between the lawn and sidewalk on some accounts. Just wondering what you guys do...Thanks

proenterprises
05-13-2005, 09:51 PM
The primary edge should be done with a real edger. For the next two weeks or so, you can maintain that edge with your trimmer. After that, you should once again use the edger to re-define the edge.

South Florida Lawns
05-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Literally people want a nice edge at the end of their driveway/sidewalk. It seems that with st augustine grass being so thick we even trim circles around the sprinkler heads other wise it will keep the heads from coming up. So yes breaking an edge is a pain but necessary in order to keep the grass from over taking the concrete, and it will if you dont edge enough.

joeg2246
05-14-2005, 12:09 AM
I have taken on some accounts where the St Augustine had taken over the sidewalk. Man it is a pain to get that first edge under my belt, but, after that it is smooth sailing. I would however recommend getting yourself a better stick edger. I use a Echo PE-260 and love it. The Craftsman might not hold up and I'm not sure if it has the power you need especially in the overgrown conditions.

precisioncut
05-14-2005, 12:11 AM
You need something more powerful to cut through the grass. A trimmer works, I use it sometimes and did for years but, the edger is the absolute best.

LawnBoy89
05-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Well the edger I have is the kind you walk behind with 3 wheels. I can't picture it not having enough power, I'm just worried about not being able to do a good job if the grass is really taking over the sidewalk, I mean how could you really know where the sidewalk ends?

mtdman
05-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Get a stick edger. It's faster and easier to use, maintaining an edge with a stick edger won't take any more time than using a weed wacker.

joeg2246
05-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Get a stick edger not the one you walk behind. It is a tool that will enable you to edge not only sidewalks and driveways but also flower beds and concrete crubs around some beds. A versatle piece of equipment that I would find very difficult to do without.

LawnBoy89
05-14-2005, 12:46 AM
You guys are probably right and I should. So the first time that you edge an overgrown edge you pretty much have to dispose of the extra grass and roots yourself right?

joeg2246
05-14-2005, 02:39 AM
You can either rake it up or mulch it with your mower. In a circle pattern you would hit it 3 or 4 times. It should be plenty broke up my then.

Precision
05-14-2005, 07:44 AM
Edge first, blow into yard, mow with discharge facing into the yard, continue mowing until gone. Warn new clients that it will take a couple of mowes to get the lawn into shape.

OR

Charge them a clean up fee 2 to 5 times the regular cut rate to fix their deferred maintenance issues. Then do it right, edge, remove extra grass to your truck, blow, then edge again to get stragglers or weed eat along the sidewalk with the head over the sidewalk hitting stragglers at an angle.

LawnBoy89
05-14-2005, 08:39 AM
I see. Thanks guys. I just got a new redmax blower so, unlike my old blower, it will probably have enough power to get the extra weight onto the grass.