PDA

View Full Version : Front Page of Turf Mag

Eddie B
05-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Anyone see the front page of the May edition of Turf Mag? I love the license plate on the car... had me laughing hard!

lqmustang
05-13-2005, 10:08 PM
I like the way everything is crammed in the trunk.

proenterprises
05-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Yes, I did, just got the mag today. I will post my view on the article tomorrow.

redoak77
05-14-2005, 12:24 AM
wow I hoe no scrub sees that or they might try it.

MOW ED
05-14-2005, 09:02 AM
I got it yesterday and I had a good laugh at that picture. That license plate can be from any state for sure. The guys and gals at Turf are good people that know the score. Its great that they stay in touch with the small cutter as well as relating to the green industry as a whole. I always look forward to getting that mag.

lawnandplow42
05-14-2005, 10:29 AM
ya i saw it hahahaha

i bet theres someone out there who has tried to do that lol

jimslawns
05-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I was gonna post a thread about it, but... here it is, my favorite is the way the guy looks passed out in the front seat. :rolleyes:

jimslawns
05-14-2005, 10:59 AM
On page A10 there is a pic of a black enclosed trailer.... Doesnt' that member post on this site as well??

mtdman
05-14-2005, 05:15 PM
I laughed my ass off when I saw that.

:D

whiteclifflawn
05-14-2005, 05:25 PM
I want a poster of that, looks like alot of guys around here.

mtdman
05-14-2005, 05:27 PM
First year in business my partner and I worked out of the back of my trunk. If he had to go alone to cut, he'd stuff the mowers in his backseat. Kinda reminds me of the good ole days.

grassmanvt
05-14-2005, 06:24 PM
I got a kick out of that too but, I absolutey broke out in laughter when I SAW almost the same thing this morning. Let me set the mood, I'm headed out to finish two places this morning that I missed this week, a late model buick or oldsmobile goes by me with an old ford lawn tractor stradling the trunk just like the picture on turf mag. Also, note the Vt license plate on the picture and my location. I almost turned around to chase him down and snap a picture.

chefdrp
05-14-2005, 06:29 PM
That is a good artical. It is a miror image of my solo company. I have embroyderd shirts,letterd truck and clean mowers and tools. I evn keep claen shaven and keep a clean work shirt in the truck to meet with people.I am thinking of doing a little newsletter with my invoices now that i have read the artical.

chefdrp
05-14-2005, 06:33 PM
but i dont unload from the trunk of my car. Nor do i wear a Motly Crew T-shirt.LOL

weve
05-14-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm on page A-10 also --- bottom left pic.

mtdman
05-14-2005, 06:56 PM
On the mower? How do you like wearing those uniforms in hot weather? That's always a big hangup for me. I sweat my butt of in a tshirt and shorts during the summer, I can't imagine having to wear a full uniform like that.

I agree with most of those points. I try to run my business like any other, and communications are a big part of that. The only thing I have a disagreement with is the equipment. I keep mine working fine, no duct tape, but I don't keep it as clean as I should. It gets fast just as dirty, and I don't have time to devote to such a sissyphusian effort.

beransfixitinc
05-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Can somebody scan and post a picture of this?

Is TURF a free subscription type thing?

We are a dealer, and not an LCO, but it might be kind of nice to get a magazine that might help us better understand what kind of relationship a commercial cutter needs with a OPE dealer.

Toy2
05-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Got a free copy last month, signed up for a subscription....nothing yet.....can't find it at Barnes...What's up with that!!

lqmustang
05-14-2005, 07:56 PM
The subscription is free, but watch out when that Fredrick's of Hollywood catalogue come to you, among others that will follow. The wife was wondering who my girlfriend was when that showed up. I didn't tell her tho. ;)

jimslawns
05-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Doesn't have the cover pic but here you can get a free script
http://www.turfmagazine.com/

Tvov
05-14-2005, 08:36 PM
I am thinking of doing a little newsletter with my invoices .

I did that for a couple years, put a lot of work into them. I had very little return for the effort. One customer even mentioned she thought it was junk mail and threw it away without reading it. Another said she didn't feel like reading about her lawn.

Try it, maybe it'll work for you. Don't spend a lot of money until you have some idea on what kind of return you'll get.

beransfixitinc
05-14-2005, 08:43 PM
The subscription is free, but watch out when that Fredrick's of Hollywood catalogue come to you, among others that will follow. The wife was wondering who my girlfriend was when that showed up. I didn't tell her tho. ;)

Oh, so you get bonus material with a subscription? Wow, can't beat a deal like that... hey.. maybe they can send me a free year of Playboy also.. what's that, like $12 a year now or something?

Expert Lawns
05-14-2005, 08:50 PM
The only article I read is the one about lawnsite, but ya the cover was good this month. Good to see they can poke fun at the industry

Bret's Lawn Care
05-14-2005, 09:42 PM
i saw a guy that actually was tryin to take his rider in his buick century
lol

Jason Rose
05-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Man, I feel left out... Evidently it will be Monday before I get my issue here in Kansas... Obviously it's printed in the north-east somewhere...

Petr51488
05-14-2005, 10:02 PM
On page A10 there is a pic of a black enclosed trailer.... Doesnt' that member post on this site as well??

Yep, that was mine! Thanks Turf Magazine.. The grass in the picture doesn't look to well.. but that was because i took it around March. I wish i had the picture of my truck in it as well.. But oh well.. - Peter

RedWingsDet
05-14-2005, 10:24 PM
talk about a good lisence plate!

Lux Lawn
05-14-2005, 10:45 PM
That picture is a classic from the license plate all the way down to the equipment.He's even got the fishing rod for after work.

ToroLandscaper
05-14-2005, 11:38 PM
How can i get turf mag ????

Bull
05-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Weaver, how do you like that Chopper? That is the big diesel model right and a flex deck to boot?

John Gamba
05-15-2005, 08:35 AM
I hear he keeps everything in the trunk for weight when he puts the plow on in winter.

I was looking into moving there but with competition as tough as this, i may rethink this :dizzy:

John

1MajorTom
05-15-2005, 09:09 AM
How can i get turf mag ????
jims lawn already posted the website on this thread, but here it is again.
www.turfmagazine.com
go there and click where it says "free subscription", then sign up.

Tvov
05-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Okay, who's going to post a picture of the front page?? I don't get Turf magazine.

(This is starting to drive me nuts. Is this just a marketing campaign by Turf?? :p )

weve
05-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Bull,

The mower pictured in the article is a year 2002 XWD2600-60 on the day that I purchased it new. I now have 1500 hours on the mower and have used the flex deck about a third of the time. The machine has done well. There are eight belts---I have replaced only one. I had work done on two injectors after year two and also replaced the alternator. It uses about one third less fuel than my previous gasoline model with a Kohler 25 hp.

Larry

Expert Lawns
05-15-2005, 12:10 PM
If you look closely at the mower, it looks like it says "Total Lawn Care" with an 800 number under it

Eddie B
05-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Are we allowed to post a copy of the front page? If so I'll scan one. I thought it might be a copyright issue or something.

beransfixitinc
05-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Are we allowed to post a copy of the front page? If so I'll scan one. I thought it might be a copyright issue or something.

From what I hear, Turf is a sponsor of Lawnsite.. and I'm sure that just scanning the cover would be considered more advertising than infringement.. you are not claiming the work as your own or using it in any way for monetary gain.

Then again, I am not sure of the copyright workings... Maybe a Turf associate can place a photo here?

Eddie B
05-15-2005, 03:18 PM

stumper1620
05-15-2005, 03:22 PM
thanks for the scanned post, LMAO, :laugh: :laugh: gotta love it! :D

Tvov
05-15-2005, 04:42 PM
LOL! :laugh:

N.H.BOY
05-15-2005, 04:43 PM
As some one else had said. I wish they can make a poster with that, that is some funny sh##. Our VT. guys must love that huh?? Did'nt they make a movie about the state troopers up in VT. also LOL :p

beransfixitinc
05-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Oh man.. that's bad...

What's with the Mantis cultivator though? And, I wonder is this a real picture?

fishinman22487
05-15-2005, 05:36 PM
I think some old timer had that license plate made and hangs it in his garage. I mean who would really put that on their car?? Your just asking for looks with all that s*** hanging out of the car. Did anybody read the article yet? That guy Peter's rig is in Turf mag. for showing a neat and professional look

A+ Lawncare
05-15-2005, 05:54 PM

;) i must admit, i'm honored to finally be on the front cover of something, big thanks goes out to Turf Magazine, haha.... :D

that guy is a big joke, have any1 of ya seen any other guy's operation look worse than this?

nobagger
05-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Anyone see the front page of the May edition of Turf Mag? I love the license plate on the car... had me laughing hard!
Ed I didn't get my subscription yet whats on it?- But I can imagine.

Eddie B
05-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Ed I didn't get my subscription yet whats on it?- But I can imagine.

look at page 4 of this thread

Toy2
05-15-2005, 06:33 PM
God......I'm taking my camera everywhere.....I could swear I saw that guy at HD yesterday!!!!LOL :D

nobagger
05-15-2005, 06:48 PM
How true is that! I'm sure everyone has seen this guy at some piont in time. I posted a response a couple of months ago saying I saw a guy with a 97ish Ford Taurus with broom sticks and other handles sticking out of both rear windows, etc. I wonder if they know each other?

grassmanvt
05-15-2005, 11:33 PM
As some one else had said. I wish they can make a poster with that, that is some funny sh##. Our VT. guys must love that huh?? Did'nt they make a movie about the state troopers up in VT. also LOL :p

Oh you're just jealous of our inginuity, don't even try to deny it nh boy :p

Mo Green
05-16-2005, 09:30 PM
I saw this guy last week in an old beat up Caravan....this thing had seriously seen better days. The back door was open and I could see there were a few things laying around in the back. On the rear side window, there was a piece of notebook paper taped to it with the words "Grass Care" and a phone number written on it with a magic marker. As I pass the house, there is this old man(no offense to seniors) pushing a 21" mower around the yard. This guy looked like he had on foot in the grave. I just laughed to myself and kept on gettin it.

lawn perfection
05-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I took this picture the other day on the way home. Kinda makes you think about the cover picture on Turf mag. It really happens.

CutNLawns
05-17-2005, 11:34 AM
This was me last year but I have since smartened up and upgraded to a towbar now. Work smarter not harder!!!

John Gamba
05-17-2005, 03:46 PM
I took this picture the other day on the way home. Kinda makes you think about the cover picture on Turf mag. It really happens.

Thanks for blowing my cover Duke :waving:
John

Oh i put a Fuel injected Kohler on that mower.

lawn perfection
05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi John, Sorry I just couldn't help myself.

John Gamba
05-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Hi John, Sorry I just couldn't help myself.

It had to happen :cry:

Hows the Family????????????????

John

lawn perfection
05-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Everyone is doing fine. Hope yours is as well. Got a TTHP 52, awesome machine. Check it out in the picture forum under "new tthp 52"

orangejbird
05-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I saw in Turf their having a swimsuit issue in agust (whew, flustered) :dizzy:
I'm sure this month's cover photo was staged. The "loballer" looks like it was "Paintshopped" to the photo. Gotta love digital media!
GO LOBALLERS! :pumpkin:

John Gamba
05-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Everyone is doing fine. Hope yours is as well. Got a TTHP 52, awesome machine. Check it out in the picture forum under "new tthp 52"

I did!! You must be Proud :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

My Best John

SummitFarmer
05-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Haven't read the article, but looking at the title I have to call Double Texas B@!!$#it. I have good looking stuff but I see a lot of guys in my area driving piles of crap, pulling trailers with minivans, working out of the trunks of their Celicas. Customers don't give a rip about what you pull up in, they just care how much they have to give you at the end of the job.

John Gamba
05-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Haven't read the article, but looking at the title I have to call Double Texas B@!!$#it. I have good looking stuff but I see a lot of guys in my area driving piles of crap, pulling trailers with minivans, working out of the trunks of their Celicas. Customers don't give a rip about what you pull up in, they just care how much they have to give you at the end of the job.

You got that right.
John

GTLC
05-18-2005, 04:12 PM
I got a kick out of that too but, I absolutey broke out in laughter when I SAW almost the same thing this morning. Let me set the mood, I'm headed out to finish two places this morning that I missed this week, a late model buick or oldsmobile goes by me with an old ford lawn tractor stradling the trunk just like the picture on turf mag. Also, note the Vt license plate on the picture and my location. I almost turned around to chase him down and snap a picture.

Hey grassman, I was in Essex Junction last year and I passed a new maroon Subaru wagon towing a little dinky 4x6 or so trailer with a w/b on it,that's it, it had an advertisement sign on the trailer too. Too bad I didn't have a camera. Just like the pic on turf mag. :rolleyes:

GTLC
05-18-2005, 04:13 PM

Yeah, Super Troopers. Worst movie ever made. Me, Myself, and Irene isn't bad though.

N.H.BOY
05-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, Super Troopers. Worst movie ever made. Me, Myself, and Irene isn't bad though.

So I'm guessing that the troopers are NOT that way up in the GREEN MT. state?? :p

Bret's Lawn Care
05-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Anyone get PRO magazine?

Eddie B
05-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Anyone get PRO magazine?

nah, what is it?

Grass Masters
05-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Everyone should read the editors notes those were funny as hell this month

turfmagazine
05-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Jim @ TURF Magazine here.

Glad you folks enjoyed the cover. We had a blast doing it (that's my fishing pole ... and my rake we wrecked for the photo).

Yeah, the license plate is digital magic ... we couldn't resist.

Can you copy it, etc? Sure ... no problem at all. It's just a magazine ... not high security documents. Have it copied at your local quick print shop ... and if they can't do it, let me know, I'll have one done here and send it to ya.

And .. why the Vermont plate? Cause we're in northern Vermont (I mean my whole company ... all 7 magazines, including TURF. We also have magazines for construction, tree services, golf courses, forest work and farming -- go to www.mrpllc.com if you're interested).

TurfEditor
05-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi Guys --- David @ TURF Mag here . . .

I'm glad you like the cover. That's my dad's old Murray mower in the trunk.

For those of you who do not (yet) have your Sub to TURF, here's my editorial for the May issue (with apologies to David Letterman).
----------

Ten Ways to Tell Your Lawn Care Company is a Scrub

10 – His company slogan is “Insurance? We don’t need no stinkin’ insurance.”

9 – He cancels your cutting this week because his mom grounded him.

8 – Out of habit, he’s always asking you “do you want fries with that?”

7 – He giggles every time you say “core aeration.”

6 – His business cards have the name of his rock band scratched out and “lawn care” written in black marker .

5 – His mower costs less than his sneakers.

4 – He giggles when you ask for a “dethatching.”

3 – He insists on calling you “Dude.”

2 – When you ask if he’s certified, he says “totally.”

And, the number one way you can tell your lawn care company is a scrub:

1 – You catch him, “watering the lawn.”

daveintoledo
05-23-2005, 01:06 PM
thanks, i really enjoy your magazine......

Del9175
05-23-2005, 07:52 PM
LOL that was a great top ten list David. Number 9 was my particular favorite. Great cover as well. Keep up the good work.

Zr2_thunder
05-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Great work guys, i really enjoyed the cover photo, You guys run a great thing for us landscapers keep up the great work! Cant wait till the next issue!! :blob3: