PDA

View Full Version : How many Yankees up north seen the grass we have to deal with down here?

South Florida Lawns
05-13-2005, 11:56 PM
You think its hard cutting an overgrone yard, ever seen St. Augustine? What a pain. During the rain season just one week and you have to set your deck around 4'' and up. This stuff sure can get out of hand.

lawnman_scott
05-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Im from up north, dont know that im a "yankee" but i prefer the grass here. Can you immagine that striping crap at every lawn? What do they do if they misss a spot? Ill take ours any day.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
05-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Feel lucky your cutting grass down there if it don't rain here we won't be doing any cuttings next week.Extremly dry for this time of the year

Oldtimer
05-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Striping looks like a bad cut. I sold one striping roller for an eXmark and the customer quickly junked it. We like our grass to look like it has been cut, not mashed down in a couple of directions.

Mark McC
05-14-2005, 10:27 AM
I've cut St. Augustine and Zoysia. To be honest, its as if they are the same grass. They both build up that insane thatch and get spongy as he**. They both turn brown faster than any other type of grass in that region, and they both crowd weeds out beautifully. So, the Yankees on this site very likely have dealt with something like St. Augustine.

geogunn
05-14-2005, 10:45 AM
I hate bremuda. snaggly, gnarley, thatchy bermuda! that's what I say!

GEO :D

Mark McC
05-14-2005, 10:51 AM
I hate bremuda. snaggly, gnarley, thatchy bermuda! that's what I say!

GEO :D

Funny you should mention that. When I mowed lawns in Clearwater back in the 80s, the Bermuda always killed a sharp blade much faster than anything else. Amazing stuff.

Charles
05-14-2005, 10:54 AM
I think Bermuda, St Augustine, Tall Fescue and Zoysia are tied for the worst. Centipede being the easiest

Richard Martin
05-14-2005, 12:11 PM
We have Burmuda and Zoysia all over the place here with a little Bahia thrown in once in a while. Here in the transition zone we get the worst of everything.

Mark McC
05-14-2005, 02:24 PM
We have Burmuda and Zoysia all over the place here with a little Bahia thrown in once in a while. Here in the transition zone we get the worst of everything.

Wow, Richard, half empty or half full? :p

Senior Birdman
05-14-2005, 04:27 PM
I used to live in Houston so I know St. Augy.

Up North we call that crabgrass and try to kill it! :D

Del9175
05-15-2005, 10:04 AM
I used to cut grass up north and I prefer cutting St. Augustine over any other grass. Sure it grows like crazy during the summer, but for curbside appeal, I just don't think it can be beat.

gatormowing
05-15-2005, 10:31 AM
About 75% of my accounts are Bahia. Talk about dulling blades, i"ll take St. Augustine.

Kelly's Landscaping
05-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Not sure what that stuff down south is but I think it would be no worse then the cool season grasses here when they go in over drive like May. I had not cut my own lawn for 2 plus weeks till yesterday I have half and acre of grass it was as high as 2 feet in spots and filled my 44 gal collection system 11 times. I would like to say thatís the worse I have seen this year but that would not be true. 2 weeks of cutting not including half the list I let fly or the ones I get to dump on site we have dumped over 40 cubic yards of clippings.

rodfather
05-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Not sure what that stuff down south is but I think it would be no worse then the cool season grasses here when they go in over drive like May. I had not cut my own lawn for 2 plus weeks till yesterday I have half and acre of grass it was as high as 2 feet in spots and filled my 44 gal collection system 11 times. I would like to say thatís the worse I have seen this year but that would not be true. 2 weeks of cutting not including half the list I let fly or the ones I get to dump on site we have dumped over 40 cubic yards of clippings.

Who the hell are you calling Yankee ya damn Rebel...LOL.

Yea Matthew, I like to see the look of some faces of those southern boys when they pulled up to one of our jobs and saw 10 or 12 inches of freshly grown fescue from the past 5 days growth. Talk about needin' a change of underwear :D

nelbuts
05-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Give me St. Augustine any time. The reason why you have so much thatch is too much water and fertilizer. I have St. Aug. yards been in ten years cut them all at 4" to 4.5" and minor thatch. Others after 3 years thatch everywhere.

Zoysia does not grow well here. It should be cut shorter and it does have a serious thatch problem.

Bahia is the toughest grass in SWFL and especially in Sept. it is really tough. I have very few lawns with it and that is usually around retention ponds.

Years ago had a standard 80x120 lot that had bahia. The owner had True Crap. We cut it when you had to bag and we took off 10 barrels off that one lawn. I thought it was just because of the first cut. Wrong! Next week was 10 more. I told the guy that I would never do another property True Crap serviced and he needed to find someone else. He did, went inside and fired True Crap.

The one thing I still miss after 19 years here is the smell of fresh cut grass. Our grass here does not smell after it is cut. There is nothing that smells as good as fresh cut grass or hay and I do miss that.

Oh and one other thing. You guys talk about changing blades every couple of days or once a week. To me that was funny as I change every 8-10 lawns. Sometimes that is 2-3 times a day and almost alwyas after a condo complex.

MTR
05-15-2005, 01:11 PM
About 75% of my accounts are Bahia. Talk about dulling blades, i"ll take St. Augustine.

75% !!! of your accounts are Bahia? Wow...there are million, I mean million of St. Augustine lawns in beutiful subdivision and commercial parks for you to do all over Florida, why in the world you hold your core business on Bahia?
Oucch... I no longer cut Bahia, look at market, almost none of landscaping supply co. in my region carry any kind of product dealing with Bahia. It is turnpike grass not residential/office grass, not worth doing them. Besides they never look good no matter what you put in, it sucks.

nelbuts
05-15-2005, 01:15 PM
MTR I bet you that Gator's accounts are 10-20% less than yours or mine. Bahia is what contractors put in for a cheap lawn. Developers use St. Augustine. Where Gator lives is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. A lot 4 years ago sold for $12,000 now it is close to $40K.

Kelly's Landscaping
05-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Who the hell are you calling Yankee ya damn Rebel...LOL.

Yea Matthew, I like to see the look of some faces of those southern boys when they pulled up to one of our jobs and saw 10 or 12 inches of freshly grown fescue from the past 5 days growth. Talk about needin' a change of underwear :D

I got some lawns that will make them weep I dropped a few this year but always seem to get more of them give me the spoty crap lawns any day. The sad thing is I do fert on over 70 of my 160 accounts so those 70 I already know are not going to be easy cuts.

Richard Martin
05-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Where Gator lives is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. A lot 4 years ago sold for $12,000 now it is close to $40K.

Not to get off topic but my 3 bdrm/1 bath rancher picked up $25k in the last month. Housing is getting wildly expensive here quick.

UpstateNYer
05-15-2005, 02:06 PM
I never cut warm season grass besides zoysia, but you guys would just love our rye after a rain storm clogs mulchers and bagging systems up. Scraping your decks every 30 minutes. I have walked on st augustine in clearwater beach florida at a buddys condo its looks like crab grass.

Mark McC
05-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Not to get off topic but my 3 bdrm/1 bath rancher picked up $25k in the last month. Housing is getting wildly expensive here quick.

Not to stay off topic, but any place that's anyplace near DC is going nuts. A real estate agent over here said that while it's easy to sell her listings, it's a bear getting listings because people suspect they won't be able to afford the next mortgage.

Turf Technologies
05-15-2005, 04:43 PM
75% !!! of your accounts are Bahia? Wow...there are million, I mean million of St. Augustine lawns in beutiful subdivision and commercial parks for you to do all over Florida, why in the world you hold your core business on Bahia?
Oucch... I no longer cut Bahia, look at market, almost none of landscaping supply co. in my region carry any kind of product dealing with Bahia. It is turnpike grass not residential/office grass, not worth doing them. Besides they never look good no matter what you put in, it sucks.

Some areas in FL use mainly Bahia. In Citrus County, which is in the nature coast, are just now developing communties that only use Floratam. Most people here dont care about there lawns, so they cut them short and the bahia comes in or thats what is laid on new homes unless you build in the rich areas. And there arent many of those here.