PDA

View Full Version : cherry tree

surfisher211
05-13-2005, 11:57 PM
hey all :)

i have a costumer that has a great big flowering cherry tree in her front Yard ,and the roots are exposed about 8 inches out of the ground, she asked me if there was a way to cut the roots out so there not exposed , now my ? is if those surface roots are cut will the tree die ? and will it blow over in a heavy wind storm ? any help is appreciated

aclassic
05-14-2005, 12:10 AM
what about bringing in topsoil to level it out? may not be as cheap as a stump grinder rental, but would make mowing around it easier

surfisher211
05-14-2005, 01:02 AM
i would add top soil but it would take alot of top soil to cover the roots , but it is a thought maybe removing some of the bigger roots and covering the samller ones

sheshovel
05-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Have they been exposed due to errosion?Has the tree been that way a long long time?Eight inches is alot.Do not cut them.Will need more info to tell what's happening and a pic would be nice.But you are correct,don't cut them.

gil
05-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Yeah, if you cut those roots it is most likely you will kill the tree. Soil is cheap. Add 4-5 inches of soil.

surfisher211
05-14-2005, 01:36 PM
there not exposed from erosion , its the way they grew . i will take pictures this week and post them

Kate Butler
05-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Sometimes trees will expose their roots to gain a more favorable situation - for instance, if the subsurface is too wet. It's also possible that it's a compaction issue (over many years) if it's in the front yard. DO NOT CUT THE ROOTS. bring up the ground level.

sheshovel
05-15-2005, 03:24 PM
That is correct but sometimes they NEED that favorable situation and adding soil can smother the roots.That's why I requested pic's.

Kate Butler
05-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Agreed that it the exposed roots are literally 8" out of the ground, it would be foolish to add enough topsoil to bring the grade up all at one time. This is something that should be done in increments - unless you want to do a tree well. Tree wells can be a really nice look if done in natural stone and then the grade could all be brought up at the once. A tree well tall enough to hold the topsoil back wouldn't take much stone. On the other hand, the whole thing could be turned into a garden feature with the well extended vertically: becoming seating if something more 'feature-rich' was desired.