PDA

View Full Version : anything out there for armidillos

fyrewalker31
05-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Lots of my customers are suffering from armidillo's tearing up there yard. They ask me what to do but all I can come up with is a half a case of beer and rifle and sitting out all night. Is there anything commercially sold or homemade that can deter these opossums on a half shell?

coyoteman
05-14-2005, 08:38 PM
If i remember right Mosquito Barrier is labelled for them.

nocutting
05-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Is this the same problem?...We get racoons, they seem to feed on grubs in the soil, [ so if you get rid of the grubs, you get rid of the racoons]...this may help for your problem as well?......was that post for the garlic spray serious?....its only a reppellant, gotta get rid of the food sourse 1st & than maybe the reppellant may be of some help? :waving:

yardmonkey
05-16-2005, 11:39 AM
I have not yet seen grubs do any direct damage to a lawn. Generally the roots of the grass can withstand the effects of a fair amount of grubs. The damage is usually caused by animals such as armadillos. I have not yet figured out if there are factors that cause the grubs to be more plentiful in some lawns. Of course there are chemicals that control the grubs. The organic solutions are milky spore disease and beneficial nematodes. I don't have much experience with those. The milky spore disease supposedly does not work on the particular species of grubs around here. There is more info on identifiying the exact species of grubs elswhere on Lawnsite (search). Also see Garden Insects of North America - Whitney Cranshaw.

I have had to get involved with trapping animals from time to time. Armadillos are very tricky - the local animal control people tell me they have never caught an armadillo. You pretty much have to locate their tunnel and build a corral to guide them into the trap.

I have not looked into in yet, but some searching on the web may reveal some things that can be used to repel the critters. I don''t know if this works for armadillos, etc, but moles can supposedly be kept away by spraying the lawn with one of the castor-oil based remedies, which makes the grubs taste like castor oil, which the moles do not like.

Green Pastures
05-16-2005, 11:45 AM
.223 or .308 tends to work well on pests.

pagefault
05-23-2005, 04:30 PM
I've caught six of them. They generally come out at night and early morning. Once in a while, they will come out during the day if it is cool and damp. If you watch them for a while, you can figure out where they live and how they get home.

Get a big box and lay it on the ground between them and home. Get a second person to spook them or throw a few rocks at them. When they start to run for home, scoop one up in the box.

You'll want a big, sturdy box because they'll claw and jump and try everything to get out.

Make sure you know where you want to release them too.

Trap one and release it far away, then call it quits for the day because the rest of them are probably hiding by now. The next day, get another one.

When they mate, they have quadruplets, so make sure you get them all.

I have one living under the house now, that I haven't bothered to trap. They are fun to watch, they loosen the soil and they eat bugs. What could be better? We haven't had that much damage done.