PDA

View Full Version : mulching kit or blade blocker?

Davypfeiff
05-14-2005, 02:01 PM
I am having a problem with getting grass into customers flower beds. What would be the best choice a mulching kit or a blade blocker? The lawns i mow have alot of flower beds and trees so i would have to have the blade blocker down alot.

Thanks

Tn Lawn Man
05-14-2005, 02:54 PM
I have a blade blocker.

It works well for keeping the bulk of the grass out of where you don't want it. i.e. mulch beds and such.

However, it leaves a little trail of grass the I have to go back over with my blower. It only takes a second or two to disperse the clippings with the blower but then again I only have my chute closed for partial passes or at most a full pass or two.

If I had to have it down more than 50% of the time on most of my lawns then I would likely go with the mulch kit. But, if it is only for one or two lawns then definitely blade blocker.

Hope this helps

Sweetwater
05-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Got the EZ-Chute for TurfTracer and do not like it...keeps most clippings out of beds but adds clumps once you reopen it and clippings that accumulated blast through discharge. I am being picky here, but the mulch kit is better for my lawns.

MarcSmith
05-16-2005, 11:12 AM
The blocker I think is the way to go....you can get some of the benefits of mulching but still be able to use the side discharge when you are out in the open. the the blocker will leave a trail, but if you run over and extra time or hit with the blower like Lawn man said it will be fine... Once you put a mulch kit in most cases you loose your side discharge abilities...

Mo Green
05-16-2005, 06:56 PM
I put the mulch kit on my eXmark Viking, and I use it on every yard I cut. It's been doing a great job so far. Only when the grass is extraordinarily tall and thick does it give me a problem.

TJLC
05-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Got the EZ-Chute for TurfTracer and do not like it...keeps most clippings out of beds but adds clumps once you reopen it and clippings that accumulated blast through discharge. I am being picky here, but the mulch kit is better for my lawns.

This is what I experienced also.

turfman33
05-18-2005, 09:54 PM
I use Mulchers on my 36" and my 54" never had a problem. I have Gator blades on the 36 and normal mulch blades on the 54. I have even cut wet grass with no clogging.

Steve

TURF DOCTOR
05-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Blade blocker man a mulching mower is a joke they will bog down in grass.