PDA

View Full Version : fitting keyways

seymour_glass
05-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone. I'm not much of a mechanic, so forgive me for the possibly dumb question, but is there a proper way to get a key onto a shaft? I'm attempting to replace an engine on a scag walkbehind, and I'm having trouble fitting the keyway and the 2 trans and deck pulleys on the engine shaft. I tried filing it down a bit but its stil tight. Anyone wanna give me some pointers? Please go easy on me though , I know this should prolly be an incredibly simple thing to do, I just don't wanna screw anything up. :o

Thanks

Restrorob
05-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone. I'm not much of a mechanic, so forgive me for the possibly dumb question, but is there a proper way to get a key onto a shaft? I'm attempting to replace an engine on a scag walkbehind, and I'm having trouble fitting the keyway and the 2 trans and deck pulleys on the engine shaft. I tried filing it down a bit but its stil tight. Anyone wanna give me some pointers? Please go easy on me though , I know this should prolly be an incredibly simple thing to do, I just don't wanna screw anything up. :o

Thanks

Take a piece of 100 or 150 grit sand paper and lay it on a flat surface,Take the key and lay it on the paper,Move it back and forth a few times then roll it 1/4 turn and repeat,Do this until you can slide the key up and down in the crank slot and pulley slot,Put just a light film of grease on the shaft and slide the pulleys on and algin the slots and slide the key in.
Only sand the key on two sides adjacent each other to maintain a square key.

seymour_glass
05-15-2005, 11:52 AM
thanks for the step by step, it helped a lot!