PDA

View Full Version : Wet Grass?!?!

jtrice11
05-14-2005, 04:14 PM
What's the best way to cut wet grass? I have a Lesco 48" Hydro walk behind and a toro Z-Master w/ 60" deck. Yesterday I cut a lawn where the grass was pretty wet and it clumped up real bad, had to go back and rake today. Should I take the deflection chute's off of both mowers?

slicksilverado01
05-14-2005, 04:20 PM
What's the best way to cut wet grass? I have a Lesco 48" Hydro walk behind and a toro Z-Master w/ 60" deck. Yesterday I cut a lawn where the grass was pretty wet and it clumped up real bad, had to go back and rake today. Should I take the deflection chute's off of both mowers?

I always find it better not to have the deflection chutes on at all. Its kinda hard to mow wet grass and make it look good. just mow slow and double cut if needed and that is about all you can do. (haveing more hp helps too)

gogetter
05-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, if you HAVE to cut it when it's wet, then you may have to just double cut it to chop up and disperse those clippings and clumps.
And if it's real bad, you may then have to hit it with the blower to disperse the clumps a little more.

The other option is bagging it, but I just hate bagging.

jtrice11
05-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I HATE raking. I had no choice on this lawn but to cut it. THe guy's got the most beautiful lawn of all that we do. Its like a golf course and we've had rain for 3 straight days here in Minnesota. Had to get out there before it got too long. The turf is so dense if I waited any longer, I think I would have really been screwed.

Lux Lawn
05-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Double cut it then grab the backpack and just start blowing it off.

olderthandirt
05-14-2005, 05:04 PM
Cut it down and wait till it drys some before you go back and double cut it. If a customer can't understand rain then there morons. Morons have to pay a 50% stupidity surcharge :cool:

dishboy
05-14-2005, 06:37 PM
I just mulch as always, might have to blow a few turds, no BFD. We are way ahead of rain averages this month and I am still batting 1000 on being on schedule. I see guys driving around on Saturday with 1/2 ton trucks dragging full of grass and I just grin.

mtdman
05-14-2005, 07:12 PM

Bingo. I agree.

hole in one lco
05-14-2005, 07:36 PM
take the gators off and go with the hi lifts

nelbuts
05-14-2005, 08:34 PM
The first thing I do when I purchase a new mower is take off the chutes. They are not made to disperse grass but are made to row it instead.

MowerMoney
05-14-2005, 09:45 PM
I cut a lawn on Friday that wasn't wet but was so long (and I cut it every 7 days too) that I had to cut it 3 times and it still looked like crap. tried to blow the clumps but the yard was too big to do that to all of it.
Should I convert the deck to mulching instead of side discharge?

Watkinslawnservice
05-14-2005, 09:52 PM
I HATE raking. I had no choice on this lawn but to cut it. THe guy's got the most beautiful lawn of all that we do. Its like a golf course and we've had rain for 3 straight days here in Minnesota. Had to get out there before it got too long. The turf is so dense if I waited any longer, I think I would have really been screwed.
I feel your pain. I am in Minnesota too. I have been trying to mow for the last 3 days and it sucks. I only have belt drive WBs and I have to be real carefull not to tear up the turf with as wet as it is.

Tvov
05-14-2005, 09:55 PM
take the gators off and go with the hi lifts

+1

Mowing wet grass stinks, that's all. If you gotta rake, you gotta rake.

LawnMower
05-14-2005, 10:13 PM
I always find it better not to have the deflection chutes on at all. Its kinda hard to mow wet grass and make it look good. just mow slow and double cut if needed and that is about all you can do. (haveing more hp helps too)

I totally agree with you here.

this is exactly what I do.

Cut it down and wait till it drys some before you go back and double cut it. If a customer can't understand rain then there morons. Morons have to pay a 50% stupidity surcharge

I do this when the grass is wet but its not raining. I cut it, then go off and do the trim. Then I get back on the mower and raise the deck up 2 notches and cut it again. Plus I run double blades.

deereman
05-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Taking off those discharge chutes is not really a good idea, that is if you have hired help running those mowers. OSHA does come around just when you least expect it. Those chutes are there for a reason, and if somebody got hurt either it be the operator or a bystander you could be in really hot water. The way that people are sueing these days you just cant be that careful.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-14-2005, 11:08 PM
I found out last year that it was wet here and I had to double cut alot. Instead of mowing a regular height and then going back and trying to disperse the clippings, I would mow 1 or 2 notches above regular, then string trim, and then go back and let the deck down to desired height and cut again. I found that the grass would dry some, plus the clippings would wilt and dry some and left the yards looking better and easier to double cut than to take off all the clippings with 1 cut and then try to scatter them on the 2nd cut. I hope this helps some, it was easier on my equipment and the yards looked better also

Patrick.B
05-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Would you poeple bring some rain here please ? lol we need rain bad here ,,grass not growing and its 93 degress here :cool:

clc2003
05-15-2005, 03:29 AM
Would you poeple bring some rain here please ? lol we need rain bad here ,,grass not growing and its 93 degress here :cool:

That heat sounds good right about now. We have gotton over 4in. in 2+ days and are predicting rain mon, tues, and weds. Tonite it is goin to get down into the low 40's upper 30's. Had to turn on the furnace again! :realmad:

Tvov
05-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Can we have some of your heat? The last few nights we have had frost warnings. I haven't seen any numbers yet, but I swear this is one of the colder springs that I can remember. Of course, I will be wishing for this weather come August with its' heat and humidity!

DizneyWorld
05-15-2005, 01:23 PM
The discharge chutes are only there for liability purposes. The machine manufacturer can say that the mower was not being used properly and without all its safety equipment in place if some one got hurt. The chute does help with flying debris and limits potential flight of a damaging projectile, but it is not effective in dispensing the clippings evenly. I do not use the chute myself nor do I cut wet grass.

I try to start later in the day if at all possible. I usually have that privilege. When wet grass must be cut the most effective way to reduce discharge is raising the blades. Try doing smaller lawns early in the moring rather then your large accounts. I rather have it look high then come back later or get a call saying there is brown grass everywhere. Trust me most accounts could care less about you and how much your equipment may suffer.

jtrice11
05-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Grass cuttin fool--I think I'm gonna give that a shot next time. I can adjust the cutting height on the toro in a snap. I'll raise it an inch or inch and a half and cut, then drop it to desired height, and cut again. Of course I thought about that AFTER I had already made a big mess!

Kelly's Landscaping
05-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Wet and we are talking real wet grass only thing I have found that leaves it acceptable is bagging with the vac system. That does a great job but you run into the same other problems like when you shut off the blades the mower will crap all over the place. So you are best either doing wheelers off in the wood line or if they do not have that driving up the trailer with the blades on then shutting them off. Either way you are looking at scraping the deck every lawn or so and the barrels now weigh 200 pounds each. I cut in the rain when I have too and I do not make anything but sometimes you have to take that hit to keep your customers and get everything done sux but its part of the trade. I see rain forecast for like 5 days next week and I have over 160 lawns so yes it looks like I shall be cutting in the rain real soon. The real part that pisses me off is my smaller mowers that do not have trac vac collection systems become worthless in the rain so we basically have to crawl on 1 mower per crew then.

DizneyWorld
05-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Why would you ever cut in the rain? How do you trim, surely the trimmer leaves grass everywhere? If I were not mistaken wouldn’t the ZTR slip all the time, mine does on dry grass? How about blowing off the walkways? Hills? Why not skip rainy days and charge time and a half next week when you come. Seems more like a logical solution then cutting in the rain. If an account can understand that rain delays mowing progress and increases scheduling conflicts then it is one tough business.

jtrice11
05-15-2005, 02:19 PM
I see alot of replies where you guys cut twice and blow the grass. I don't think I could have blown the mess that I created. If the grass is damp i can see blowing, but if its wet, do you guys still blow it off the lawn?

DizneyWorld
05-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Do what ever you have to do to make the lawn presentable. Plain and simple.
The day I blow the lawn with a backpack blower is the day I quit

topsites
05-15-2005, 02:43 PM
The first thing I do when I purchase a new mower is take off the chutes. They are not made to disperse grass but are made to row it instead.

Well I took it off the '98 because it's a steel chute and I hate that thing gets caught on a tree at full speed and yeah, the clipping dispersal sux.
Now the new '05 has a rubber chute which flexes around obstacles and the thing is nice around mulch-beds (like when you have mulch-beds on either side) it blows less debris around.
Far as wet grass ... Blowing it off helps a LOT as does double cut but also what I like to do with my mower ...
Since I have side-discharge, I ride in clock-wise semi-circles so it herds the worst of the clippings into a pile or 2, then it's a quick-rake. Worst I ever had was 6 or 7 piles but it was a 1-acre with knee-high grass.
Far as the gators, those things suck on my 18,500 fps standards work best.

topsites
05-15-2005, 02:45 PM
I feel your pain. I am in Minnesota too. I have been trying to mow for the last 3 days and it sucks. I only have belt drive WBs and I have to be real carefull not to tear up the turf with as wet as it is.

The worst thing is when the belts get wet.

slicksilverado01
05-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Taking off those discharge chutes is not really a good idea, that is if you have hired help running those mowers. OSHA does come around just when you least expect it. Those chutes are there for a reason, and if somebody got hurt either it be the operator or a bystander you could be in really hot water. The way that people are sueing these days you just cant be that careful.

Yeah an osha guy came over last friday to me while I was mowing one of my commerical accounts and started bitching about my employee spraying round up and that I am not licensed and I told him wtf? I am solo. it ended up being the store manager. then the guy bitched at me about my deflector and my new scag not having a roll bar. he said he cant give me a ticket for that but went on saying that when I go home I should put that stuff back on. I told him that I will go home but I aint gonna put none of that **** back on and told him to buzz off.

Tvov
05-15-2005, 11:18 PM
I told him that I will go home but I aint gonna put none of that **** back on and told him to buzz off.

Good for you, sometimes people have to be knocked down a couple pegs. He had no authority over you, and no business bothering you. I certainly believe in proper safety for employees, but a lot of OSHA folks go way overboard.