PDA

View Full Version : You mowed with a riding mower!!!!!!

MOW ED
05-14-2005, 07:46 PM
I "had" a referral customer who is a little off the chair. She wanted me to mow the lawn for her this season. I did not do much research on her but I did give her a decent price to mow weekly. Its a 15 minute job mowing and trimming on a 6500 sq ft lot. I was there twice already and I last mowed Thursday. I get a message today (saturday) from her stating that it looks like I used a riding mower to do her lawn. I called her back and did in fact tell her that she never specified that I was to use a walk behind mower. She then began saying that she does not like riding mowers and that I told her that I would be using a walk behind mower when I did her lawn. I told her that my rate for mowing wouldn't have been 30 dollars if that was the case. SHe then asked what it would be for me to use a walk behind. Knowing where this was going I said 50 dollars per cut. She told me that she paid twenty last season. I said I am sorry we can't come to this agreement and I would be sending the final bill.
I am not surprised and not upset at giving this one back to the scrubs. Selectivity is the key to happiness. I also remember that 10 years ago I would have done what it takes to keep her. Not anymore. I know what a PITA is and her picture would be next to the definition.

lrose2
05-14-2005, 07:58 PM
I' m with 'ya on this MowEd. Don't you just love the clients who try to tell you which mower to use and that you are going to fast, etc., etc.. I subscribe to your keyword: SELECTIVITY!

out4now
05-14-2005, 08:08 PM
You did the right thing.

Harry0
05-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Good Call!

YardPro
05-14-2005, 08:43 PM
empowerment...

see you don't have to be rude, or overreact like a notorious person here to get your point across..

well handled

Tvov
05-14-2005, 09:52 PM
You mean you used one of those "zip - zip" mowers on her lawn? I had a customer ask me not to use a "zip - zip" mower on her yard. I asked her what she meant, and she said the mower that you ride and go back and forth so fast. I said what's the difference, as long as the lawn looks good.

We ended up using ZTRs, lol.

Green Pastures
05-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Selectivity is the key to happiness.

I also remember that 10 years ago I would have done what it takes to keep her. Not anymore. I know what a PITA is and her picture would be next to the definition.

This bears repeating.

Patrick.B
05-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Ohh i had some of them before ,,,,wanted me to use my w/b instaed of my ZTR ,,,,she ask me why i was using that big mower ...i said it take me 6 mins to cut your yard instead of 35 mins with w/b ...she said please use the w/b ,,and i said PLEASE call someone else mam'am ......done deal .. :blob3:

zgman
05-15-2005, 03:30 AM
I'm curious as to why these customers would prefer you use a wb? Are the zip zips tearing up their yard?

Richard Martin
05-15-2005, 07:02 AM
zgman, I think it's two things. First they think the zip zip is going to tear up their yard. Secondly they somehow feel as though they are not getting their money's worth if you're not taking an hour to cut a 5,000 sq ft patch of grass.

SCAG POWER
05-15-2005, 08:34 AM
I have a customer that during the last few weeks ,has made severial comments about this company or that company.To where i told him if you want to chamge go rite a head and do so it will not effect me one bit.He leaves and one more will come on or two more will come . That is the way it is some go and new ones :waving: show up.

DennisF
05-15-2005, 09:50 AM
When the customer begins to tell you what type of equipment to use...it's time to tell them good-bye.

Tvov
05-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Secondly they somehow feel as though they are not getting their money's worth if you're not taking an hour to cut a 5,000 sq ft patch of grass.

THAT is most all of it. Many customers, especially older, seemingly would be happier with a crappy job done by someone with a 21" push mower than a great job done with big mowers.

Kelly's Landscaping
05-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I dropped one my 60 inch lazer could cut it the entire lawn and bag it in 10 mins but no this prick wanted it cut with a 21 which took 1-2 hours and wanted the same price Yea Right!!

DLCS
05-15-2005, 02:08 PM
zgman, I think it's two things. First they think the zip zip is going to tear up their yard. Secondly they somehow feel as though they are not getting their money's worth if you're not taking an hour to cut a 5,000 sq ft patch of grass.

Yep thats it. :rolleyes:

ed2hess
05-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Customer with small yards worry that you are going to hit and tear up something with the big mower. I worried when we went to the hydro WB units because we certainly had more potential for an accident. And if the customer is home when you mow the bigger engines make a LOT of noise.

Kate Butler
05-15-2005, 06:34 PM
I had (that's the operative word) a client last season who became really annoyed when she realized that we were doing her end-of-season cutdown (perennial beds) with a nylon-bladed weed-eater. I asked her how she had been expecting it to be done and she said "with hand clippers". I explained to her how much more that would cost her (hourly rates) and that we had agreed to perform certain jobs with no mention of her getting to choose the equipment.. She balked and I told her that she should try to find someone else for next (this) season. I haven't got the time for that sort of micro-managing. (I didn't tell her that: but I sure wanted to.)

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-15-2005, 08:12 PM
The old saying, "The customer is always right" is such a falsehood. 95% of the time the customer is usually a dumbass. And I do include me in that category too at times when I am the customer. I dont know how many jobs I have turned down because the "customer" prefers I use a walk behind 21" because that is what my grandson Johnny uses. I dont like the big ride on mowers because they go to fast and dont cut all the grass. Well mr or ms customer, that only happens if I am blind and judging by my last eye exam, I am good to go. Whenever someone only wants a 21" cut, I tell them up front it is more expensive because time is money in my world. I can cut it with a 21", but that $20 quote just became $35.

Fareway Lawncare
05-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Some of You Kids Think that Because You Paid 6k Plus for a Mower it Must Leave a Great Cut and the Customers are Idiots for Questioning your eXpensive Machine...The Fact is I've Seen Countless Small Props Butchered by Riders or w/Wacky Lines all Over Because they Have No Room to Turn...You Should get off Your Fat Azz's and Use a Nice Hydro Walk or even a 21" if the Situation Calls for it.

Smalltimer1
05-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Some of You Kids Think that Because You Paid 6k Plus for a Mower it Must Leave a Great Cut and the Customers are Idiots for Questioning your eXpensive Machine...The Fact is I've Seen Countless Small Props Butchered by Riders or w/Wacky Lines all Over Because they Have No Room to Turn...You Should get off Your Fat Azz's and Use a Nice Hydro Walk or even a 21" if the Situation Calls for it.

There wouldn't be a problem if people knew when to cut the PTO on and off, regardless of the size of the mower or yard.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Of course I use a 21" when the situation calls for it, but if I can use my ZTR and save time, it gets used. But if someone wants me to use a 21" just for the purpose of using the 21" because the grandkid did, well, not a chance in hell is someone telling me how to run my business and earn my scratch. So Fareway, people who use ZTRs are fat asses now? You're better off not running your trap and writing a check your ass cant cash.