PDA

View Full Version : husquvarna ztr

Jerry and Sons
05-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone has purchased or demmoed the sixty inch ztr and what do you think of the deck desighn, any problems?

Travis Followell
05-15-2005, 07:41 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I'd really like to hear how the tunnel ram deck performs.

Envy Lawn Service
05-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, I met a guy a while back who took the dive into one of these piles. He was extremely unhappy with the mower and just beside himself irate with the problems he was having with the mower so early on. Hours were barely out of the single digits.

Paint chipping off the mower down to the bare metal (like my Y/K) sluggish and unresponsive hydros (like my Y/K) one wheel that is very slow in reverse already (like my Y/K) and the hydro system stalls the engine for several seconds during rapid acceleration, deck lift handle rubbing hard against the height selector. Plus he said he wished they would take their Tunnel Ram deck and ram it up their *dirty word*!!!!

Frankly I can't say as I blame him. I've dealt with the issues he has with the power frame myself, but worse. As far as the new deck goes, it's not as good as it looks. It looks good, but it does not perform like it was designed with performance in mind.

Now this is my OPINION, but I honestly believe this deck was actually born in an attempt to address their factory warped/twisted deck issues. In other words I believe they added the tunnel construction right to their old deck as a way to better reinforce their decks against twisting and warping.... instead of taking a hard look into the materials, equipment, process, workmanship, and most of all QUALITY CONTROL.
How does that many warped decks make it out the door anyways? Q/C.

Anyways, on to the deck looks and how it performs. It looks very good and very strong. The belt covers are nice and overall this is clever styling that makes the deck look more massive and deep all over by hiding the step up at the tunnel.

The new 2 belt drive system also appears to be a big improvement over their old single belt design. Mine has the single and although it looks to be a simple and clean design.... it's not without issue. You'll be mowing with it and swear to God you have a blown spindle. The vibration is unreal and the roar is deafening. After much investigation, this is caused by terrible belt deflection between the PTO and the tension pulley on the deck. Once it starts you can't make it stop. The belt is going like a giant guitar string, the tension idler is jumping, the deck is shaking....

But the performance of the deck is nowhere near the looks. Not here anyways. If you live somewhere that decks like the Everide, Toro SFS or old Kubota stamped deck, ect... (in other words, the cut-n-sling decks) it might work better for you IF you can endure the blowout. Here, whatever length of grass you cut off is pretty much what comes out the chute. The hayfield look, plus clumps. After a bit of use, any advantage the tunnel gives is taken away by the fact it begins to clog and fill up. The top on this deck us not stamped. So it does not have smooth contours. The tunnel is basically welded right on to the front of the old deck. So the corners are square.

Anyways, so if you can't live with that performance, there is an anti-blowout baffle kit that can be put on. This is literally a 3 hump m shaped baffle. Way restrictive. Almost like a mulch kit with no chute cover. The chamber to chamber opening is not all that big. But anyways, this goes up front in the tunnel area. Boy a real Einstein invented this, lol. It's just m shaped rings, no top plates or anything, so the tunnel is not blocked overhead. You guessed it, perfect clipping trap. Plugs quite nicely.

ToroLandscaper
05-15-2005, 12:44 PM
I posted a thread about the same mowers and it came back pretty rough alot of people hated them and said they were junk!