PDA

View Full Version : 32" Wright stander? Pros & Cons?

bntt68
05-14-2005, 07:46 PM
I would like to know if anyone has used one of these or own one? I have just seen one pic. of it and it dont show the rear whellbase. I was worried about rutting. Seems they had this problem in the past. I think they improved them. I am looking to buy one but my dealer dont have one to look at yet. Does anyone have pics.? THANX BRENT

bntt68
05-14-2005, 09:06 PM
Anyone Yet?

Itsgottobegreen
05-15-2005, 01:10 PM
The 32" has the narrow rear tires like the old 36" models had. The new 36" has wider tires. So you might have some of the same problems. But the 32" is a lot lighter than the old 36".

ed2hess
05-15-2005, 05:16 PM
We talked with a guy in our area and the problem with cutting ruts was a back breaker for him. And in additon low bushes and trees was a problem and deck height changing was difficult. We tested a unit and haven't decided yet, we presently use 36" Scag/snapper hdro WB unit. The price is also high compared to the WB.

bntt68
05-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Did you test the 32 stander? As far as rutting I was concerned about the mower leaving ruts where tires run.

Sweetwater
05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Well guys, for my money I would NOT buy the Wright. My newest machine, a Wright 52/23 has been all problems and the local rep is not helping(the dealership recommended full replacement for my junker after 4 trips to the shop). Now, I may have a lemon, but I have never had an unresolved problem with any machine the way this Stander has and I am currently blaming Wright.

The 32" seems like gilding the lily in a sense because we use 36" WBs in all rear lawns with gates...only one has gate too small for 36" and we have to flip 21" sideways thru this "kennel door" to access rear lawn. If rear lawn lawn is big, and a couple are, we attach the Jungle Wheels and ride behind 36".

Save your money for something without the headaches. The 32" Stander is just not useful enough IMO.

bntt68
05-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Does anyone have the specs on the 32? wieght? overall width with chute up? PLEASEEEEEE!!!!

Sweetwater
05-15-2005, 08:41 PM
This is exactly why I won't buy another Wright product. You can't even get basic info from local dealer, who can't get it from regional rep, who doesn't care to get it from Wright! So here you are asking the forum, which is exactly what I would do, but what happens when the thing craps out on you?

I will tell you: you scramble around trying to find something to finish jobs and spend more money, lowering your profits and getting madder every day. The wife gets hot 'cause she sees this boat anchor sapping your cash and costing you drive time to service bay. While you fight with this crap on Saturday your third crew chief runs over an old stand pipe with a perfedtly good Exmark 'cause he's trying to work fast to catch up 'cause you are at shop with p.o.s. Stander...You work Sunday, alone, to escape your now madder wife and to figure out a way to deal with the 6000.00 problem sitting at the shop. When you get home the wife is happier 'cause she only sees red machines on the trailers...little does she know, the Wright regional rep is still screwing you!

And all you want is some basic numbers. Call Exmark now b4 it is too late!

steelcity
05-15-2005, 09:50 PM
i recently had the chance to purchase the wright 36" thinking it would improve my production and make me less tired at the end of the day. Wow i used it only at a couple of sites(residential) and was not impressed at all. The controls are awkward to use, changing the deck height is cumbersome and it left with more areas to trim when i was finished. I also bought the grass gobbler bag for it only to find that it was metal. When it was full of grass it was heavy and very awkward to empty. All i could imagine was one of my employees carrying this thing to my truck and dropping it off the side and leaving a nice yellow mark with a big dent. For my uses in tight resi lawns this was not the machine i needed, maybe in more open sites it would prove more useful but if i get more of those i will just buy a sulky. i have since exchanged it and purchased the exmark 36" and am much happier (my other machine is an exmark 48") and my wife is happier knowing the money was better spent.

lawn_pro
05-15-2005, 10:07 PM
We tried a 36 this week, the controls are strange? Very difficult to mow a straight line.....but maybe we need to give it more time. The one thing that all my guys complained about was the rear wheels slipping, impossible to keep the thing on a hill. Like I said maybe we needed to give it more time-but it seemed to be lacking in alot of different areas.

traman
05-15-2005, 10:33 PM
wright stander 36"close to 600 lbs with 6.5 inch tires plus your weight ,does the word rut come to mine ,in rainy season forget it enough said .took me over a year to sell it

LightningLawns
05-15-2005, 11:06 PM
I've used walk behinds in the past and when I first started I had a 36 snapper walk behind, I bought the 36 stander and it cut my mowing time in about half. Once you get the hang of it the tires wont slip and you can practically mow with on hand. I would never buy another walk behind. Personally i'd go with the 36 stander.

Itsgottobegreen
05-15-2005, 11:06 PM
We tried a 36 this week, the controls are strange? Very difficult to mow a straight line.....but maybe we need to give it more time. The one thing that all my guys complained about was the rear wheels slipping, impossible to keep the thing on a hill. Like I said maybe we needed to give it more time-but it seemed to be lacking in alot of different areas.

The stander has a learning curve. Even the field test report from turf claims 3 weeks. Try reducing the rear tire air pressure a little. Also grabbing the controls real quick will cause the tires to spin or pull a wheelie.

Everyone that bashes a stander has very little run time on them. They are not a ZTR, but can keep up with one. They are basically a fix deck hydro walkbehind that is way faster. Plus you get the added bonus of a really compact machine and super hill hugging abilities.

bntt68
05-15-2005, 11:41 PM
I own a Quick Trak John deere 647 Stander and love it. I am interested in the "NEW 32" Wright Stander". Standers do take some time to get used to. 2 days for me. 36" Stander is to wide for my small gates . I have a 33" Billygoat that I have to sqeeze through sideways on them.

leafitalawn
05-16-2005, 02:37 AM
I've owned a 32" stander since December and love it. At first I was rutting about 3/10ths of the lawns I was doing. After using it for a while, you will learn the "tricks" to keep it from rutting. Occasionally, when I get careless, I might rut once, or twice a week...only when in a hurry and when it's wet. It really will depend on the type of grass you are mowing. I'm in the Houston area, and it's 95% St. Augustine.

Smokin' Joe
05-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Does anyone have the specs on the 32? wieght? overall width with chute up? PLEASEEEEEE!!!!
The overall width is 43.5" with chute down, and 33.5" with it up. Overall length is 58". Dry weight is 605 lbs. Speed forward is 7.2 mph. Drive tires are 18 x 6.5 - 8. Caster tires are 11 x 4 - 5. Fuel capacity 5.2 gal. Deck construction Heavy-Duty Commercial Fabricated 7 guage.

bntt68
05-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanx for the info. When you say rutting, is that from wheel spin, or the weight of the machine compacting the soil while mowing?

Fareway Lawncare
05-16-2005, 10:15 AM
The reason Wright Changed the Tractor Frame and Added Wider Tires on the 36" was Because of Rutting....Now those Same Narrow Tires are on the 32"...You Do the Math..

The Small Stander's Take Longer to Turn in Softer Turf because You Have to Be More Careful to Avoid Scuffing than with a Regular Hydro Walk...You Also have to Be More Careful to avoid going over the Same Tracks...

leafitalawn
05-16-2005, 04:23 PM
The rutting that I experienced was from trying to turn too fast when the soil was too wet...thus causing the wheels to spin/sink. If the soil is too wet, then yes, you do need to pay attention to change the pattern of mowing or avoid previous tracks..etc.
But like I said, you get used to it and learn it's capabilities with use. I imagine it will also depend on the type of grass, as I've only used mine on St. Augustine and bermuda with great results.

bntt68
05-16-2005, 05:54 PM
I have a mix of Bluegrass ,rye, fescue.Is the velke 32 the same setup?