PDA

View Full Version : exmark oil

adam5557
05-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Hey guys today i went to pick up some oil for my exmark and i am new to the business so i asked what they normally run in exmarks and he gave me john deere 10w 30 oil .I only got 2 bottles but what do you guys think runs best.I have a 36in exmark 13hp kaw.thanks guys

beransfixitinc
05-15-2005, 01:08 AM
Hey guys today i went to pick up some oil for my exmark and i am new to the business so i asked what they normally run in exmarks and he gave me john deere 10w 30 oil .I only got 2 bottles but what do you guys think runs best.I have a 36in exmark 13hp kaw.thanks guys

Where exactly are you putting this oil?

adam5557
05-15-2005, 01:19 AM
I was planning on using it for my 36in exmark which has a 13hp kawasaki.thanks

grass_cuttin_fool
05-15-2005, 08:04 AM
I started out with JD products and used their oil also. Now I have other brands of equipment but I still use the JD oil and it has served me well. It has a distinct smell to it which belongs to the Shell oil Company. The last case of JD oil I purchased was over $2.00 a quart. I may start going to the auto parts store and just by shell oil. Sorry for my ramblings but yes JD oil is ok to use. Was this oil for the engine or hydro?

65hoss
05-15-2005, 09:54 AM
I use Shell Rotella 15w-40 in all motors. 5.5 hondas, 12-23 kawis, little briggs, trucks, everything.
The JD oil is very good oil also and probably very close to the same. Similar additive packages.

adam5557
05-15-2005, 11:19 AM
I am using it for my engine. any other goood oils?

Runner
05-16-2005, 08:18 AM
I always ran Pennzoil and never had any troubles.

TClawn
05-16-2005, 03:17 PM
I run mobil 1 10w-30 and it makes my engines run a lot smoother than regular dino oil.

RKISTNER1
05-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Been using Mobile1 in everything since 1980 .. Not 1 problem

Mark McC
05-16-2005, 04:49 PM
The only comment I have about this is that the manuals for a couple of my eXmark mowers (all Kawasaki engines) say that the engine will burn multi-viscosity oil faster than single-viscosity oil. None of the manuals I've read so far have called for or advised against synthetics.

SproulsLawnCare
05-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Is Conoco oil company owned by Shell? I did some research on JD oil, and found that it is produced by Conoco oil company. At least the engine oil is. With the price of JD oil, and knowing full well that JD doesn't have any oil rigs, I figured I would just find out if there were any real difference in the oil in their bottles compared to oil in a name brand oil bottle. I didn't see any real difference so I started using Quaker State, the same oil that I have been using in all of my engines since I started mowing our lawn at home nearly 30 years ago. Only one engine through a rod; and believe me, it was that mowers time to go!

grass_cuttin_fool
05-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Is Conoco oil company owned by Shell? I did some research on JD oil, and found that it is produced by Conoco oil company. At least the engine oil is. With the price of JD oil, and knowing full well that JD doesn't have any oil rigs, I figured I would just find out if there were any real difference in the oil in their bottles compared to oil in a name brand oil bottle. I didn't see any real difference so I started using Quaker State, the same oil that I have been using in all of my engines since I started mowing our lawn at home nearly 30 years ago. Only one engine through a rod; and believe me, it was that mowers time to go!

I cant say about now, but about 5 years ago JD oil was Shell. The trucking Company I worked for, we had used Drydene motor oil for years, but due to price and poor dealer support we switched to Shell rottela. I had used JD oil for a few years and always notice the bad smell of the oil. The day the Shell dist. came to fill our bulk tanks at the shop everyone was like what died in that tank? what are you pumping in our tanks? Then I remembered that smell and said hey we are getting JD oil here. The Dist said oh you notice the likeness of the smell and told me that Shell was the supplier of Deere oil.