PDA

View Full Version : trailer wiring woes

northmichigan
05-15-2005, 07:16 AM
the wire plug on my dual axle trailer pulled out and i can't figure out how to put them back correctly. the color of the wires when connected to the plugs' stated colors don't work right. i.e. right turn signal in truck is left on trailer.am i missing something? thank you for any replies in advance.
mj

Restrorob
05-15-2005, 08:44 AM
the wire plug on my dual axle trailer pulled out and i can't figure out how to put them back correctly. the color of the wires when connected to the plugs' stated colors don't work right. i.e. right turn signal in truck is left on trailer.am i missing something? thank you for any replies in advance.
mj

Don't pay attention to the color of the wires.
Use a test light,Unplug the trailer,Turn the parking lights on in the truck,Probe the truck plug until your run light circuit lights the tester,Take a jumper lead and go from run light post on truck to trailer plug touching each post until you get run lights on trailer and wire accordingly,Repeat for turn signals,Brake and turn are on the same wire for each side.

Happy wiring :cool2:

jim dailey
05-15-2005, 11:30 AM
mj

If the right turn signal in the truck comes out on the left signal of the trailer, you are turning yourself around, or looking at the diagram backwards. Stand at the rear of the trailer and just imagine that one particular wire running up all the way thru the trailer, thru the connectors and onto the wiring of the truck. ALSO, test the wires the same way that Restorob just explained to you above. Any more problems...just jump right back on here and ask away.

northmichigan
05-15-2005, 04:48 PM
thanks for the info! i went ahead and followed instructions and got all but the brakes to work. the brake controller got fired when i wired according to color...........back to the shop.
thanks again.
mj