PDA

View Full Version : Natural flagstone walkway?

kandklandscape
05-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Exactly what do you lay down between the stones???? Customer does not want weeds growing threw....

I understand the layment process... see if I am right.
First layment of sand, level.....mulch fabric then stones???? now what do you put between the stones? Black sand? But that will wash away. HELP?
Anyone else do flagstone walkways?

nocutting
05-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi, in my area "ajuga or sedum", both almost flat perennials work very well, and i guess if the stones are very close a colored cement may work as well,[ used to be able to add a colorizer [ powder] to almost match the stone....... :)

sheshovel
05-15-2005, 03:13 PM
I use colored pebbles available at most rock suppliers ,I like "San Antonio"pebble, beach pebble,they have all different colors or you can usesmall gravel.I like creeping thyme .
Tell your customer there is no guarantee of no weeds,they will blow in sooner of later.Like I always say "There's no such thing as a maintenance free garden!"

kandklandscape
05-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Never really thought of little stones??? Hmmm sounds like an idea!!!

Alright. Thank you guys much!

Kate Butler
05-15-2005, 06:43 PM
There are finish sands on the market that are both polymerizeed and contain pre-emerge herbicide. I get mine out of Canada. The polymer makes a seed-resistant coating and the pre-emerge helps anything in the bedding sand.

I prefer creeping thyme also, but it's a bear when the weeds DO establish.

bigdaddyracing
05-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Something else you could try is a dry mortar lay. Just add a few shovels of portland cement in a wheel barrow of sand and mix it. Then add the mixture to the walkway between the stones. The first time it rains it will harden enough that nothing will grow in it.

student101
05-19-2005, 12:24 PM
I am wondering if the plants, I used Irish moss, will grow well in gravel and how well the roots will hold,

Kate Butler
05-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Depends a lot of your definition of 'gravel' ........ bank run gravel has a lot of sand and bigger stones in it, road gravel is smaller but still has sand, crusher run gravel can be sized (1/2", 3/4", etc..) and has no sand, and on and on and on.

Many small alpine plants prefer gravel (more like road gravel). Irish moss doesn't winter here, so I don't know whether it'll do in gravel or not. Many of the tiny sedums like gravel and fill in quickly. Good luck.

alanauer
05-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Kate, where in Canada, if you don't mind, did you source special sand with herbicide?

Which leads me to wonder if anyone has ideas about taking ordinary fill-in sand and mixing a long-lasting herbicide beforehand.

brickpuller
05-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Try Gator Dust it works great.

Kate Butler
05-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Kate, where in Canada, if you don't mind, did you source special sand with herbicide?

Which leads me to wonder if anyone has ideas about taking ordinary fill-in sand and mixing a long-lasting herbicide beforehand.

Believe it or not, RONA.