PDA

View Full Version : Oil

LawnBoy89
05-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey guys I have a Ferris mower with the 15hp Kawi engine on it. Since the Kawasaki makes a popular engine what type of oil do you guys run with it and how often do you change it? I have a dirtbike which I change the tranny oil, engine oil, and oil filter almost every time I ride. I figure every week for the oil, or maybe every other week? How about you guys?

slicksilverado01
05-15-2005, 06:44 PM
I run any good 10W30 oil in my gravely pm34z 15hp kaw and I run that oil in all my other machines. and when changing oil always change filter too. make sure to put some of the old oil around the rubber ring on the new filter to make a proper seal.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-15-2005, 08:45 PM
I change my oil at 50 - 60 hours and the filter everytime. I use 10w-30 oil and I think any major brand of oil is fine as long as it is changed. Also if you dont have an hour meter on that machine invest in one, it is money well spent and will give you an idea how to track your time and exspense on the mower, BTW- I changed oil in my mower today 31 days and 58 hours since the last change.

LawnBoy89
05-15-2005, 09:16 PM
31 days? That is only counting when it runs right? I'm going to go to the dealer mid-week, pick up blades, and an oil filter if they have one, I can get oil somewhere else. Thanks.

slicksilverado01
05-15-2005, 10:48 PM
31 days? That is only counting when it runs right? I'm going to go to the dealer mid-week, pick up blades, and an oil filter if they have one, I can get oil somewhere else. Thanks.

hopefully the dealer should be well stocked with oil filters. and def get oil somewhere else and cheaper like wal-mart, autozone. buying by the case saves you money in the long run. I change my oil in my TT and TC every other week and that is with 55-65 hours. on my pm34z I change monthly which is about 45-50 hours. I buy all the filter and oils ahead of time every spring so I always have it on hand.

edit: the hour meter on most mowers run when the engine is running, there were very few mowers that the meter ran only when the deck was on.

mkwl
05-15-2005, 11:00 PM
I have a 15HP Kawi V-Twin engine on my 48" Bob-Cat mower and a 13HP Kawi V-Twin engine on my Toro Proline, and I use Quaker State 10W-30 oil in all of my 4 cycle engines. I change the oil at every 30-40 hours, and change the oil filter at every oil change. Hope this helps!

grass_cuttin_fool
05-16-2005, 07:48 AM
That is correct, it only counts hours while the engine is running

DEEJ
05-16-2005, 12:02 PM
I agree with the responses to this thread. A name brand oil at a reasonable change interval is best.

On a side note - you say you change all the fluids and filters every time you ride your dirtbike. That is totally unnecesary and only adds to the environmental problems we have with the disposal of the old fluids. Using a proper fluid change interval will make your machine last years and years. What you are doing now is simply a waste of money, time, and disposal resources. You may want to rethink it. Put an hour gage on the bike if it helps you. It is very hard to guess actual running hours.

deej

Richard Martin
05-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Different Kawasaki engines require different intervals. The Kaw 15 V-twin on one of my mowers calls for Break In service at 5 hours and then oil and filter every 50 hours after that while the Kaw 13 KAI V-twin on another mower calls for a Break In service at 5 hours, 25 hours and then oil and filter every 100 hours after that. A hour meter is essential.

Glenn J
05-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Interesting that a lot of you guys run 10w-30. You don't find that too thin? I usually run straight 30 weight in my yard equipment.

cbelawn
05-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Interesting that a lot of you guys run 10w-30. You don't find that too thin? I usually run straight 30 weight in my yard equipment.
The 10w30 is a 30w at opperating temp. it starts out at a 10w and expands as it heats. I

LawnBoy89
05-16-2005, 10:13 PM
I agree with the responses to this thread. A name brand oil at a reasonable change interval is best.

On a side note - you say you change all the fluids and filters every time you ride your dirtbike. That is totally unnecesary and only adds to the environmental problems we have with the disposal of the old fluids. Using a proper fluid change interval will make your machine last years and years. What you are doing now is simply a waste of money, time, and disposal resources. You may want to rethink it. Put an hour gage on the bike if it helps you. It is very hard to guess actual running hours.

deej

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209701&parentpage=3&highlight=oil

If you read that thread it says they change their oil every 2 hours, they have the same high performance bike as me. It's part of the sport and having a high performance bike.

Anyways, I understand that it is totally unnecesary to change the oil that often on a lawnmower. Where do you guys get your hour meters, and are they hard to install? I'm probably going to go pick up some oil and filters on WED., I will go read my manual to find out how much oil I will need. Anyways thanks for the help guys, and while you are here, any rcomendations on blades? Are the gator blades worth it? I'm thinking about getting gators because some of my lawns really grow in the week interval and I think the gators might do a little better job at making the clippings more discreet. Thanks again.