PDA

View Full Version : Roll it or not

suzjr
05-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi everybody,
I am new to the web site and would like to introduce myself as "The YardMaid".I have a customer that has a newly sodded yard that has a lot of lumps and uneven places in it. Looks like the ones who sodded it just threw it down. He has asked me to roll it for him. I have never done this and would like a little feedback on the best way to do it,wet or dry,what size roller should I use aeration afterwards that sort of thing. :help:

nobagger
05-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Wait until the ground is damp not soaked and muddy but if conditions are dry you wont be doing anything but stripping the grass. They only make a few sizes for push type rollers, just remember the bigger they are the harder they are to push! I have a 24" wide one and when its 1/2 to 3/4 filled its freakin heavy!

chefdrp
05-15-2005, 08:52 PM
you should wait to do it till it is moist, not wet. If you have a lawntractor you can rent a pull behind roller that you fill with water. Normally rolling is bad for a lawn cause it just compacts the soil and you dont get a good root system. Just a compact one. They should have rooled the sod after they put it down. Roll it then i would do areation after it has established itself.

shortgut
05-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Got a question do they have a one that pulls it self I am fixin to install a bunch of sod on the side of a hill no way could you use a hand one and not enough area for a riding mower

Runner
05-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Yes, there are self propelled ones, but I don't know of any brand names in particular. I can tell you this....if you are installing it yourself, rolling is not always necessary. As long as the preparation is right, you should have a smooth and loose base for establishment. If you are installing on the side of a hill, depending on the slope, you will probably wnt to stake the sod to keep it from washing out in the event of a hard rainfall. The way this is done is not every piece, but every few rows down, you will want to penetrate the sod and into the ground. You can make some narrow wedge stakes yourself. When laying this sod, lat your pieces CROSS ways on the hill and not up and down the vertical way of the hil. I hope this helps...Oh yeah,...green side up.

Turfdude
05-15-2005, 10:53 PM
First rule of thumb, always pull the roller. Its much easier to pull than push (Wagon, front wheel drive, etc). Also, I agree w/ Joe (Runner) re: pinning sod on a hill. We use sod pins & put 6 pins per roll. The roll gets attached to 2 above, 2 below, 1 left & 1 right.

twindiddy
05-16-2005, 10:37 AM
my concern is what weight should the roller be. the pull/tow i've been looking at is 18X24 at 270lbs. some of the larger ones go on up to 390 to 685lbs.

the client just wants the lumps out of his yard from where the sod was thrown down and not flattened out (rolled). will 270lbs do the trick? or do we need to go with a larger one?

twindiddy
05-16-2005, 11:01 AM
is there anyway we can move this thread to the Commercial Lawn Maintenance Forum?

Runner
05-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Actually, it's not the all-around weight of the roller. It's how heavy it is per sq. in. A taller roller will be quite a bit heavier...this is actually what you want. You can't go to heavy for something like this. (You ARE going to pull this with a tractor or something, aren't you?) Also, two things; Find out what the lumps ARE, exactly. If they are hard lumps of clay, it is possible they can be too large for the ground softness and not compact down into the soil. If it is good, wet, and soft under there, you may be alright. Or, if the clumps are smaller, you may be alright. One thing you can do, is after rolling, if you still have some rather large lumps, lift the sod, and break up the clod(s) with a shovel, and tamp back down.
Second, when you roll, especially with a heavy roller, make sure that your edges all stay tucked around the perimeter of the sodded area. Sometimes they can sort of fold up. I hope this helps. I wish you were near me, you would be more than welcome to borrow my roller to do it.

twindiddy
05-17-2005, 11:29 AM
runner, thanks for the advice!

twindiddy
05-17-2005, 11:44 AM
actually, the plan is to pull it with a 48" w/b. we'll have to extend the hitch, but i don't think it will be a problem. i tried to get suzjr to pull one manually. she wouldn't have any of it!

i do think a lawn tractor would be the best way to go. i just don't have one right now. tractor is on the list, though. i plan to market this service as the YardMaid's YardStarter Program. see my post titled "sequence of service". all the newly installed lawns are just like this one. including mine!