PDA

View Full Version : Year round contracts or time and materials

O.R
05-15-2005, 07:04 PM
I was just wondering what everyone prefers , sometimes i feel like i'm getting screwed on a $1500 cleanup when I know I'm only getting roughly $400 that month , but then I will also get that check for 3-4 months when I'm sitting on my butt. I have 17 houses that get year round maint.

mastercare
05-16-2005, 03:32 PM
I prefer to bill on my monthly invoices for services performed the prior month.

It eliminates people who call constantly asking "can you do this real quick" or would you mind trimming my neighbor's bush that overhangs my yard..

Going seasonal gives the customer reason to ask for extras, and makes it harder for you to adjust prices. I like billing for each service at the end of the month, so people can "add" extras all they want, and I can bill them for it without question.

Green Pastures
05-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Contracts are the ONLY way to go, for me.

topsites
05-16-2005, 08:26 PM
I prefer to bill on my monthly invoices for services performed the prior month.

It eliminates people who call constantly asking "can you do this real quick" or would you mind trimming my neighbor's bush that overhangs my yard..

Going seasonal gives the customer reason to ask for extras, and makes it harder for you to adjust prices. I like billing for each service at the end of the month, so people can "add" extras all they want, and I can bill them for it without question.

Yup, don't do contracts. I tell the customer that I bill by the job as this is the fairest way for everybody. So far I only had one person who *insisted* on a contract so since I was scared of getting skru'd, I bid it way high, hoping they'd say no.
They said yes and I made out like a bandit, but it did not make me feel good about it. I made up for it best I could by delivering/spreading some expensive rocks around the beds and did a lot of extras but still it didn't feel right.

Bottom line for me is if anyone's gonna get skru'd it ain't gonna be me, so you're better off as a customer with per-job bil

JimLewis
05-17-2005, 12:59 AM
I was just wondering what everyone prefers , sometimes i feel like i'm getting screwed on a $1500 cleanup when I know I'm only getting roughly $400 that month , but then I will also get that check for 3-4 months when I'm sitting on my butt. I have 17 houses that get year round maint.

All of our 170 or so accounts are year-round. Some months we do more work (like October! Sooo many leaves!!!) but then, like you said, in the winter we still get paid for not doing very much. So it all equals out.

Gotta love the year-round money. But no contracts for me. If people wanna leave me, they are welcome to. But we won't welcome them back come spring. With us, it's either keep us on all-year or find someone else.