PDA

View Full Version : learn small engine repair online?

Braxton
05-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Can someone suggest a good site to learn about small engine repair on-line for free?

You are free to assume I know nothing on the subject, including what a carburetor is. That's not quite true, but that's the kind of basic info I'd like to start with and then progress.

Thanks.

Braxton

hosejockey2002
05-15-2005, 11:18 PM
You may be able to find out info in small engine repair online, but there is no substitute for hands on experience!! If you are serious about learning small engine repair, look in to a local vo-tech college that has a small engine repair program.

Restrorob
05-15-2005, 11:47 PM
You may be able to find out info in small engine repair online, but there is no substitute for hands on experience!! If you are serious about learning small engine repair, look in to a local vo-tech college that has a small engine repair program.

You have a super point there,Or maybe a part time job at a repair shop.
I took a 3yr course in Auto Mechanics and worked 13yrs. at it. I got tired of hanging over fenders. I had never worked on much less seen all the equipment I have listed here, I started this job doing tune-ups and oil changes,After 6 months My boss started sending me to the factory training schools. Today I'm the Shop Foreman and the Highest paid Service Technician for 3 countys. If you can't do a part time try a saturday only.
The best way to learn is hands-on.
Good Luck !

Braxton
05-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Actually, guys, I just want to learn enough to troubleshoot and work on my own equipment. I don't have time, money, or inclination to go back to school. I'm a teacher, thirty years old, and I've spent 25 of those thirty going to school as a student or teacher. No more, thanks.

Also, I teach full time and run my fledgling LCO part-time as well as preaching part-time. So time is a factor.

But thanks for the advice; I know it's accurate, but I don't want to do it that way for the listed reasons.

So, can anyone set me onto a website or something?

Braxton

mcambrose
05-18-2005, 08:54 AM
See if a local small shop will let you be the helper for a day for a few days during the summer. There is nothing like actually watching it done. For your own equipment, you generally need to know just a few basic things like how to clean and rebuild a carburetor (watch a couple and you'll know basics). Need to know how to work on gear boxes to remove and replace seals and gears. Go ask for a shot gearbox at a local shop. You can take it apart and put it back together without worry of damaging something. Need to know how to disassemble and clean a starter. You are best watching someone else do this first. There are often pieces which will fly out is not removed properly. Finally, you need basic electrical skills to test safety switches. I don't know best how to get this information. Probably best to watch somone do some testing and ask questions if you aren't familiar.

Restrorob
05-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Actually, guys, I just want to learn enough to troubleshoot and work on my own equipment. I don't have time, money, or inclination to go back to school. I'm a teacher, thirty years old, and I've spent 25 of those thirty going to school as a student or teacher. No more, thanks.

Also, I teach full time and run my fledgling LCO part-time as well as preaching part-time. So time is a factor.

But thanks for the advice; I know it's accurate, but I don't want to do it that way for the listed reasons.

So, can anyone set me onto a website or something?

Braxton
Well I just spent a half hour looking and all the sites I found charge a fee.
The only other suggestion I have is to purchase shop service manuals for your equipment,They have troubleshooting guide sections to direct you to the problem and how to repair It. ( No Schooling Involved )

Lots Of Luck

Braxton
05-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Restorob,

Can you give me the name of some of the ones who do charge a fee?

Thanks all.

Braxton

Restrorob
05-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Restorob,

Can you give me the name of some of the ones who do charge a fee?

Thanks all.

Braxton

Heres a couple; engine.careersmart.org and www.elearners.com
Just enter "online small engine repair" in you browser You will find many many more.

Good luck