PDA

View Full Version : mulching animals....

geogunn
05-16-2005, 12:22 PM
unfortunately, mulching animals is an occupational hazzard we in the lawn care industry must face.

but dang I hate it when it happens.

just saturday I mulched a fledgling bird of some kind. I never saw the little guy until I made the next pass.

it was pretty nasty. feathers everywhere and a mass of lifeless protoplasm at grass cut level.

but I am a professional grass cutter and don't like to leave a mess so I made another pass.

that did the trick. nothing left, not even a feather!

I am trying to be more careful now.

GEO :)

marko
05-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Thank god for mulchers! Never hit anything live, but did get a dead bird once side discharging with doubles. Feather city!!!!

Steve9
05-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Hit a baby rabbit once....well twice. Nipped him with the Skag (not the blade) then when i was trimming the little guy was hugging the fence post and i didnt see him! He was barking like crazy...I felt horrible all day.

chimmygew
05-16-2005, 12:55 PM
I was cutting a yard for the first time last year, about a foot tall. Anyway, the dog had drug a dead skunk off the road into the yard and needless to say, I chopped it up. I almost barfed. The smell was beyond anything I had ever had the displeasure of inhaling. WOW that thing stunk. Nothing like rotting carcas and smell of skunk all in one.

marko
05-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Skunks are the worst! The big thing at my work was running over a dead one right at shift change for the oncoming people to enjoy all day! Seemed to linger for ever

Jpocket
05-16-2005, 07:46 PM
I mulched a snake

PLM-1
05-16-2005, 11:39 PM
I hit a turtle on Saturday at my lake house. Never saw the damn thing. took the top of his shell right off, and shot it as well as the innards all over the side of my white garage. All i found was the bottom of the shell. Ewwwww

stumper1620
05-16-2005, 11:46 PM
I mulched a snake
I hate snakes! mulch em all!
I do really feel bad if I hit a bunny tho.

grasswhacker
05-16-2005, 11:58 PM
I hate snakes! mulch em all!
I do really feel bad if I hit a bunny tho.

Actually let the snake eat the bunny then mulch it.!

stumper1620
05-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Actually let the snake eat the bunny then mulch it.!
lol, that was good! :laugh: :laugh:
I wish I could mulch moles, damn things, kill the food source, still here, set traps, slip right thru, I'm gonna start standing guard with a pitch fork pretty soon.

skurtz78
05-17-2005, 12:11 AM
well today I cut an acre that had not been mowed this year. Watched little bunnies scatter everywhere the whole time. Two of them did not make it and I was very careful. But what can you do when the grass is 2ft tall. Have hit a few dead birds this year also and did not realize those little things had such a bad smell.

LawnRangerofColumbus
05-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Got a bloated robin last week hiding in high weeds. That wasn't the bad news, it came when the bloated robin remains bounced off the fence and hit me down the right side. Stunk for hours afterwards.

The Lawn Ranger

mosmgras
05-17-2005, 06:56 AM
I "mulched" a groundhog last summer with a 6' bushhog. Well, it wasn't really mulching but it did make a mess. Strangely the grass was greener on the other side.... well red, then green.

MOW ED
05-17-2005, 07:44 AM
I ran a dead duck thru my tractor in my first year. Couldn't shake the smell for a week. Yesterday I sprayed a toad with Speedzone. I went back later and he was 3 feet tall and ready to fight!!! :p

greeneakers04
05-17-2005, 09:43 AM
I hit two frogs in two days last week (Atomic Mulching Blade). Pretty gross. It has been very humid here, the ground is moist, and they seem to love it like that. Poor little fellas died happy, I hope.

LawnBrother
05-17-2005, 09:59 AM
if there's a bright side to it, at least death by mower is usually very quick.

dmc456
05-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Last summer I was cutting a neighbors yard that was about 8" tall. Right in the middle of the yard was next of baby bunnies.

Well, of course I didn't see it and drove over them. The blades didn't really kill them because they were down in the ground, but each one was dead in a few minutes with blood coming over of their nose, mouth and ears. \

Ya, I felt pretty bad.

SuperFast
05-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Just the other day i was mowing one of my yards and i made a pass by some telephone wires that ones that hold the pole strate and i hear something looked back and i ran over 5 bunnies one jumped and i cut it's leg off and it ran away the other one jumped and i cut it in two the other 3 got mashed by my tires i went back and looked at the bunny that was chopped in to and it was winking at me the good think about that story is now i have a luck rabbits foot and the Asian's living there had rabbit Stu

MJB
05-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Shoot yesterday on 1 big job I mulched up several mice, they are evrywhere on this commercial site, especially in the spring. I had both a side discharge and a mulching Z on site because of all the rain we've had. When I was finished and blowing the clippings I noticed part of a mouse on the picnic table. yuk, Maybe I ought to be charging for pest control too....