PDA

View Full Version : Vibration from trimmer. Numbness. Soreness

Remsen1
05-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Any suggestions for helping prevent getting numb hands from doing alot of trimming? My hands tend go numb and weak, and I get the shakes for a few hours after trimming. Then the next day my wrists are sore when I wake up. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe a padded grip, or padded gloves. Anything short of getting a different trimmer? Does any body make a trimmer with vibration reduction features? Mine is a JD straight shaft, can't think of the model#.

ICE
05-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Rem,
I have a JD split boom trimmer. It is cable (obviously), but I have the same problem. I use the mechanix brand gloves with the gel cushining, but I have to tell ya, it still bothers me, alot. I have gone so far as to consider purchasing a new unit. I have priced out some echos and some Redmaxes. I would think that one of these two would be a top choice for either of us. The echo makes a SRM-260s that is a solid shaft (on the inside that turns the head)that significantly reduces the vibration. The Redmax is also a good choice, but I have to look up the differences and check to see if it is actually worth the extra dough to shell out for one. I KNOW, I KNOW - all the redmax guys are going to jump all over this, but is it really worth the extra cash for the Redmax over the Echo? I don't know, I need to do some more research and I will let you know when I find out.

Later,
Tim

SproulsLawnCare
05-16-2005, 12:23 PM
I have had trouble with carpel tunnel from a past job. I started using welders gauntlets (simply because they were what I had in the house) and they seemed to make a big difference. Maybe because of the heavy leather. My problems didn't seem to be as bad as yours though. I only had problems with my hands going pretty much completely numb. They didn't bother me the next day. The welders gloves took care of that.

sprout
05-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Guys! The thing you need to look at is the trimmer head. I've had brand new trimmers shake-rattle and roll all because of the head. The last time it was a new Shini with stock head. Replaced it with a new Echo head, end of problem. Next, if your arm and hands are tired all the time use a neck/shoulder strap that will take the weight off. Works for me.

Tharrell
05-16-2005, 08:23 PM
You may be holding the trimmer too tight. Try letting it just hang and not grip it too tight.

19dodge68
05-16-2005, 08:59 PM
I used to get Numbness and tingling in my hands and wrists as well with a bent shaft trimmer from Stihl. I took the advice of my sister in law (a physical therapist) and wore a brace on each wrist over-night to help aid in nerve repair and damage from demanding work. The combination of this and changing to a straight shaft trimmer with less vibration did the trick. Good luck they'll get better.

JKOOPERS
05-16-2005, 09:23 PM
just go and get some redmax trimmers , perfectly balanced trimmer.no vibrations

ICE
05-16-2005, 09:47 PM
just go and get some redmax trimmers , perfectly balanced trimmer.no vibrations

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=1026988#post1026988
Have you seen this post! I want to check out a Redmax, but the powers to be won't let me I think! LOL

2tall
05-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Try replacing the trimmer head. I had the exact same problem with my new Redmax. Put an Echo head on it. It will take care of all the vibrations.

JKOOPERS
05-16-2005, 09:59 PM
i just bought another one last week. imo its the best trimmer your money can buy. they are very powerful and light. that post just says that dealer is an idiot and really shouldnt be a salesman . show me a trimmer that you can pay $200 and it will last 5 + years. 2tall i have all echo heads on my trimmers too.

Envy Lawn Service
05-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Remsen1,

I've suffered the same problem since the beginning. I've always been over sensitive to vibration. I just can't take it period. I get the same symptoms as you, plus I loose motor function.... like I go to wipe the sweat from my eye, but can't get my hand there. The major difference though is this happens to me on the job, not the next morning.

Solution? Stihl FS85R.

Remsen1
05-17-2005, 12:46 AM
You may be holding the trimmer too tight. Try letting it just hang and not grip it too tight.

This is definitely part of the problem. I had to keep consciously loosening my grip.

Remsen1
05-17-2005, 12:48 AM
I'll try the echo trimmer head. If this doesn't work then I'll get a new trimmer.

sheshovel
05-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Don't disregard the pain at put it all to replacing the trimmer or head.All of these tools have some vibration,whats bad vibration to us is VERY bad vibration.Buy and wear a carple tunnel brace at night and while trimming .Don't think you are a sissy for having to wear one,You can do permanent damage to yourself by not using braces,supports,or whatever it takes including different heads to help.
Don't put it off do it now!Cuz the pain and damage will just get worse,bad enough to keep you up all night in pain.

ICE
05-17-2005, 06:58 AM
i just bought another one last week. imo its the best trimmer your money can buy. they are very powerful and light. that post just says that dealer is an idiot and really shouldnt be a salesman . show me a trimmer that you can pay $200 and it will last 5 + years. 2tall i have all echo heads on my trimmers too.
Which one did you get for $200? The 2400?