PDA

View Full Version : sequence of service

twindiddy
05-16-2005, 04:32 PM
i have a client that wants his lawn rolled, aerated, fertized, mowed, and dethatched. i'm not sure on the sequence in which i should do these. i think the rolling should be done first. a few days after it is rolled we'll then mow, aerate, and then fertilize. i figure a week or two after that for the dethatching.

what do you guys think?

dfor
05-16-2005, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't dethatch after fertilizing. I would roll, dethatch, mow, aerate then fertilize. In that order.

Turf Dancer
05-16-2005, 04:41 PM
I would mow, aerate, fertilize, dethatch, roll! That is my preference anyway.

twindiddy
05-17-2005, 11:02 AM
thanks for the replies!

what's you guys reasoning behind the sequence?

yamadooski
05-17-2005, 09:59 PM
What type of grass are you dethatching?
I sure hope its not St. Augustine?

maurader
05-17-2005, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't dethatch after fertilizing. I would roll, dethatch, mow, aerate then fertilize. In that order.

I would do it in the same order. Mowing after dethatching helps to clean up the mess and aerating after rolling helps to relieve some of the compaction caused by rolling. Aerating before rolling would defeat the purpose of aerating in the first place.

Runner
05-18-2005, 01:14 AM
If I had a customer that was wanting spend a whole bunch of money on his lawn, I would sell him fore the same amount of money, some services that are really going to benefit his lawn.

twindiddy
05-18-2005, 01:07 PM
the grass is bahia. the sod job is about a month old. he only asked about rolling it. when i quoted him the price for the roll, i told him we should aerate to help out with the soil compression. the dethatching was his idea. i'm not sure it really needs it yet. i'm a little weary of aerating and dethatching since it's new.

Runner
05-20-2005, 03:19 AM
It shouldn't need it - no way. Is it taking? If it is, then the soil isn't too comacted. It SURELY doesn't need to be tore up by a dethatcher if it is new sod. It probably just needs a good healthy fert..