PDA

View Full Version : What are the best annuals for partial shade?

Edgewater
05-16-2005, 04:35 PM
I have to plant annuals at an codo complexe. The two building face each other. One side always does real well and the other is poor due to shade. They don't mind different plants on each side,

Any suggestions?

Thanks

GreenUtah
05-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Edge,
Depending on what color/height/fill you are after and what you have available from local nursersies at a reasonable cost, impatiens and begonias offer good color and will be happy in the shade. Just keep an eye out for snails on both!

nocutting
05-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi, plain old impatients are great in the shade ,just fertilize them after planting, for a season of beauty [ we mix in white w/other colors to bring out the color in heavy shaded areas] :)

Edgewater
05-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Thanks,

I have been using impatients but they were not great, I will try putting in some fertilizer.

GreenUtah
05-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Remember that with flowers, you need to choose your fertilizer wisely. You cannot dump in the same fert you use on your turf! N rates too high and will send you into gangly, stringy plants. Choose a slow release fert with a good percentage of phosphorus(mid # in N-P-K ratio) to boost your bloom size and quantity. Assuming that you prepped the beds well, this ought to get the impatiens looking like you'd hope.