PDA

View Full Version : Do you wrench on your own stuff or pay a dealer to do the work?

South Florida Lawns
05-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Just wondering as i do most of the work on my machines, Its also nice to have two friends that are heavy equipment mechanics for Caterpillar they are fast at trouble shooting and installing new parts plus they have all kinds of tools.

Pro-Scapes
05-16-2005, 05:05 PM
I do alot of my own work if it's not under warranty. Im not about to pay a dealer 50 an hour to so maintenance or even a simple carb rebuild. Working part time for a dealer really has its perks :) I take my saw chains in tho. 3 bucks and they come out like razors. I take all my sharpening in for the most part due to the fact I dont have a balancer.

Equipguy
05-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Unless is warranty we do the work.

rodfather
05-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Not going to be a jack of all trades and a master of none...except for normal maintenance, machines go to the dealer.

Mike TMI
05-16-2005, 07:09 PM
We have multiple dealers in the area and I have used them all...but now one of the guys went out on his own and has a service van....he comes to me and only charges 10.00 more per hour.....

procut
05-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Always do maintenance myself. If its not under warrenty, 90% fix it myself. If its something I not sure on, I'm such a good customer at the local dealer, he basically just tells me how to fix it anyways.

Evan528
05-16-2005, 07:27 PM
I always take my machines to the dealer for repair. I dont have the time or the patients to tinker with it myself. Net exactly what I want to be doing on my free time.

ed2hess
05-16-2005, 07:34 PM
I do the majority of repairs, it is practically impossible to depend on dealer to get stuff out fast. We have backup units that we press in service as needed. I have 4 spare trimmers and 3 blowers sitting in my shop waiting for any breakdown. As your equipment get older it can be a MAJOR cost to let dealer do all the repair. I also buy a lot of used parts from my dealer to get stuff going because new parts are expensive. A used muffler for my 15HP Kohler was $20 today, and new it is over $50.

Lawn Wolf
05-16-2005, 07:34 PM
I take care of it myself. I use to work as a mechanic similar parts on mowers except smaller. Plus I don't take a chance on the dealer selling me on repairs that's not needed. What happens behind close doors stays behind close doors and there goes your wallet.

lawnman_scott
05-16-2005, 09:06 PM
When something is broke i would like someone who knows something about how to fix it doing the work, and I would like it done within a week or 2. So, I do it all myself.

Runner
05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Nobody touches my stuff. Lessons learned a long time ago.

SWD
05-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Used to wrench myself.
However, with multiple crews and equipment I usually take into the dealer.
I renovate some equipment myself.
I also grind my own reels.
The other reason I take into the dealer is that, at times, I'm over an hour, one way, from my shop. The dealer isn't usually past twenty minutes or so.

Itsgottobegreen
05-16-2005, 11:07 PM
I wrench on my own and seems like a lot of other friends stuff too. :) It sucks when you have a big welder. Every body wants you to fix something.